1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

quite possibly the raddest looking xj I've found...

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by c_muck, Mar 28, 2011.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

you're right, he must be mental for "ruining" an over produced japanese motorcycle that a large portion of the motorcycling world wouldn't give a second look at in its stock form.

2. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

It is funny that you say that. I see old jap bikes selling fast ALL THE TIME. Yet I love how I see these bobbers/choppers/cafe/whatever never being bought by anyone. I guess your opinion of large must differ from mine :p

3. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I guess your opinion of never must differ from mine. Modified bikes move pretty fast around here. Every bike I've "ruined" and then sold has had a new owner within a couple weeks of being put up for sale, and made me 3-4x my investment.

4. aharon

aharon Member

well, kevin11, the "never" in my post does not apply to the case in question.

5. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I was speaking about ravenz07 saying bikes like this "never" sell. That's why I quoted him in this reply and addressed you in a separate post.

I assumed the "we" you spoke of was the xj community, which does include myself. I was simply stating that some of the mods I've made have been regarded as unsafe, irresponsible and downright dumb by others, although my viewpoint may differ.

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

True, Kev, true.

But none of yours have so blatantly endgangered your "family jewels."

7. mirco

mirco Member

It was 17 F yesterday morning when I left for work. I sure could have used some of that heat up by my "family jewels". Maybe he could plumb in a heat exchanger off an old VW - now that would be rad!

8. Maxim-X

Maxim-X Well-Known Member

No, that would be a heat exchanger, if it were a "rad" he'd have to use a Maxim-X because it's water cooled. :roll: :roll:
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

9. zombiehouse

zombiehouse Member

If this was my ride I would have done a few things different but overall I like the looks of it. If you like a stock bike then this bike won't be for you. I personally like the stock look of an XJ but I also like a highly modified bike as well. Most of us have modified our bikes in some way. That is what gives us a personal connection to our rides. I would ride the heck outta this bike. I would change the exhaust and intake on this bike if it was mine though. A bike is more than a mode of transportation to us. It is a personal reflection of who we are. Riding a bike like this shows he doesn't want to be like everyone else. We could say that just riding an XJ makes us different.

10. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

Nice Bike! Beautiful curves and nice lines. Way to NOT be just another sheep in the heard.

But, but, but it's loud. You may go deaf. You may also wear earplugs under your helmet. Crazy as it sounds, I've heard of some people doing this.

But, but, but the exhaust looks like it can make your leg quite warm. A nice cup of coffee can make your mouth warm, too. How many coffee drinkers do we have here?

But, but, but it looks uncomfortable to ride. Ain't seen too many Lazy Boy recliners mounted on any of the motorcycles in the XJ galleries lately.

In the spirit of finding all the dangers of this thread, you can break a nail typing, so maybe some of you should be more careful and keep your comments to yourself...

11. Cooter

Cooter Member

I'm no purist, but I really don't see anything that I like there. In fact, he kept the ugliest stock part on the the bike- the wheels!

I also like the "engineering" behind the battery hold down, and how the fu;e line was run to the carbs.

Sorry, but 1K miles in three days is nothing, and a bike that is modified to decrease its performance is borderline idiotic.

12. Cooter

Cooter Member

Oh, and here it is with a rider on it-

[​IMG]

13. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

he's got one pipe per cylinder. shouldn't be THAT bad.

try running 1 pipe per 4 cylinders. now that is LOUD.

14. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Well I got to this one late, I like the frame. It has real nice form, but the lack of a shaft collar is a bad idea. Bad routing for the pipes, would'nt ride in the rain with those semi-velocity stacks 8O and as far as the seat goes- not without a cup!
    BTW I'm not a purist, but I'd like to think that I have good sense.

15. 650Rigid

650Rigid Member

Bought my bike stock for 700 bux. That's about what they go for in good running stock condition. Chopped it, and sold it for 2 grand. Yea, I guess chopped bikes don't sell. *sarcasm*

16. Bobe7316

Bobe7316 Member

Tip Styles can be applied quickly to selected text

17. schooter

schooter Active Member

I would

18. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

So because people do not like this look on bikes, they are ignorant? That's mature.

19. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

I like mods and something different, but there has to be some safety and common sense involved. Those pipes are not only a heat problem for the rider, but also the motor because they wrap the cylinders too closely. Then of coarse there's the noise. I had straight pipes with drag pipe silencers on mine but now I'm replacing them with mufflers because they're too loud. I can't imagine how loud this bike is.

20. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

to be fair, we dont know that those pipes are unbaffled.

with that being said... i too, would bet they are straight :)

i still want to see how close the pipes actually are. my race quads header will glow cherry if its dark outside, and my leg is VERY close to it. i havent lit on fire yet, and i also havent melted my riding boots to it.

i wouldnt be surprised if his wild placement of pipes inspired some bike engineers to totally rethink the way they route the headers on next years new model.