1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

RickCo Pops Max Wheelie!

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by RickCoMatic, Sep 22, 2006.

1. mr_ex

mr_ex Member

i tried out a yammi r1 last yr.......that thing would lift the front end at 70mph.......dang scary machine........my last bike was a 85 v65 magna.
    that thing would do the most awesome wheelies yu ever saw.
    ive come to the conclusion its best to keep front end on the pavement :wink:

altho with some practice the ol x will do a nice wheelie in 2nd gear at about 8k with a little tricky clutch work :wink:

2. Ease

Ease Member

Went out and test drove a few Buells last year (Lightning 900, Firebolt 1200, and City-X 1200)... Never pass up a chance to ride someone elses bikes...
    Anyway - the Firebolt will pull wheelies and stoppies faster than you can say "GAS" or "BREAK." And the super short wheelbase lends itself to some crazy handling.
    If you're into that kind of thing - then take a test drive at harley when they put off their next event.
    "Oops, sorry. I never thought they had so much power."

Pretty funny seeing my buddy pull up the front end in every gear, and then the rear end at stoplights - on a brand new Buell.

3. Ltdave

Ltdave Member

as far east as you can get in michigan 43.027407,
    ive done one unintentionally way back in my early riding days...

scared me to death because im certain i was more than "just a hair off the ground"...

put the entire bike in the air once too. also not on purpose...

i was riding with some other guys who were on a 650 seca turbo and a 92 FZR...

we went past our turn so we all make a u-turn and head back. i got caught by a couple of cars and had to really roll on the right grip to catch them...

they made their turns about 50-75 yards ahead of me. we crossed a small bridge that unbeknownst to me had a 6" drop on the back side...

the maxim just kept going like the coyote in the cartoons. that was a bit hairy...

d

4. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

I popped a wheelie on my 550 Maxim about 2 weeks ago, when I re-tuned my carbs... It was completely unintentional, I was taking off from a frustratingly long red light in 106 degree weather. The front wheel came up enough to scare me -- must've been at least a foot off the ground.

I've not done it since, but it's nice to know that a 550 cruiser can do it :-D

5. MNXJ650J

MNXJ650J New Member

My old 550 Maxim would pull the front wheel up with ease. I believe the 550 only has 50 horsepower and weighs about 465 pounds. My current 650 has 71 horsepower and weighs 509 pounds. Even though that makes for a higher horesepower to weight ratio, I don't think the 650 will lift the front wheel very easily.

Of course the 550 is chain drive and has a shorter wheel base. I also believe the weigh distribution is more towards the back.

Keep in mind that it's torque more than horsepower that makes for acceleration and wheelies.

6. MNXJ650J

MNXJ650J New Member

My old 550 Maxim would pull the front wheel up with ease. I believe the 550 only has 50 horsepower and weighs about 465 pounds. My current 650 has 71 horsepower and weighs 509 pounds. Even though that makes for a higher horesepower to weight ratio, I don't think the 650 will lift the front wheel very easily.

Of course the 550 is chain drive and has a shorter wheel base. I also believe the weigh distribution is more towards the back.

Keep in mind that it's torque more than horsepower that makes for acceleration and wheelies.

7. Hvnbnd

Hvnbnd Active Member

I'm a bit of a control freak.
    If I cant control it 100%, guaranteed...........

I'll refrain and call it good sense

8. Ramon

Ramon Member

Hey guys, it is no problem to lift up the front wheel with my XJ900 since I put in the 31A carb from the first 900 model. We had a real great ride about 250 km's or so today and it did happen easily three times today. The queen is running really well. My brother rode with me on his XJ900 58L and he couldn't make it. And for sure, he is a good rider.

The last 10 km's were like hell for me. A guy with his BMW seven-something was sitting in my neck and hunting me with no mercy. I couldn't get rid of him. It was unbelievable how he drove his car. Finally I could turn left and he drove the other way. F... him.

9. Maximator

Maximator Member

A buddie tried to do a "smoke-show" by holding the front brake on and popping the clutch in his 83 V65 magna. He ended up doing a wheelie out of the access road and into the highway. He always was braver than he was smart, but I had quite a laugh seeing the look on his face from that stunt! :lol: