1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

RobbieRobot Cafe Racer Project in pictures

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RobbieRobot, Jul 16, 2013.

1. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Aaargh ! They say 2 pack is teh only real solution for this problem and it seems that you can get it in an aerosol which has the catalyst in a can within a can..

Olivers Mount eh ? will make it up there some day. In the meantime off to the I-O-M next week for a few days. Me on a 79 A100 and my bro on a 78 CZ250. Maybe the XJ in a year or two. Just picked up an 80s vintage Alfa (Micron) exhaust for it - a replica of one I had in the 80s...
    Cheers

James

2. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Tank rubbed down ready for paint.

xjJohnny750 likes this.
  3. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Tank in etch primer.

4. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Tank painted and and lacquered in fuel resistant lacquer.

5. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Pin stripes going on.

6. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Pin stripes done.

7. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Back on the road.

8. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

On the road again.

9. colehole

colehole Member

You make it look so easy! Looking good!

10. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

40 years ago today my dad bought me a Yamaha SS 50 identical to this. The SS stood for Sixteener Special. It was one year old and cost £120. I had to pay him back at £10 per month. Forty years ago tomorrow on 5th June 1974 I was legally entitled to ride it on the open road with no training whatsoever. I got up, did my paper round on it, then went to school on it and sat my maths O-level exam with thoughts only of riding out on the country roads. Happy days!

11. BaldWonder

BaldWonder Innocent Bystander

In that case, happy 56th tomorrow!

12. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Thank you.

13. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last Wednesday I had a ride over to the Lake District via Alston to Pooley Bridge then on to Windermere via Kirkstone Pass. Return via Kendal, Sedbergh and then following the 2014 Tour de France (Yorkshire Grand Départ) cycling route through Hawes and Aysgarth before heading home via Leyburn and Richmond. It was warm and mostly sunny. My Café Racer and I covered 210 miles that day without missing a beat. With the weather being reasonably good over the last few weeks I've also been riding the 66 mile round trip to work. Surprisingly enough this now brings the total mileage, since engine 'B' was fitted, to over 2000 averaging around 40 miles per (uk) gallon. I have had to top the oil up 3 or 4 times using about a litre of oil. I'm happy to say that RobbieRobot Café Racer has proven to be a very usable classic.

14. markie

markie Member

Fantastic! The old photos made me smile, especially as I had an AP50 - which I had to pay my father back for.

Now I know where all the ebay XJs go - your garage!

I wonder how you cope with a technical job on 12 hour shifts? I am faced with that very prospect - and at almost 51 am not getting any younger!

15. a100man

a100man Well-Known Member

Nice - mine was a purple FS1-E identical except faster :wink: - everyone knows the purple ones were the fastest.. Mine (a 75 model) cost 80 quid when I was 14 spent 18 months polishing it until I was on the road in December 1980.. Best ever - even with the nose fairing i put on it :oops:

Best

James

16. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Hi Markie. I think the AP50 came a little after the original crop of sixteener specials. I moved rapidly on to larger capacity bikes so didn't have the pleasure of riding one. How did they compare to the 73 Fizzies?

I do keep an eye out for any XJs that come up on eBay but only within a 40 mile radius or so and obviously, the price has to be right.

Fortunately the environment I work in is reasonably easy going. Due to the nature of the work (civil airliner engines) it has been found that cracking the whip only results in more errors so we tend to be allowed to take our time and get things right. 12 hours is a long day but then I only do two then two 12 hour nights. It's not that bad when you get used to it and the time off is always welcome. I used to do 6 twelve hour shifts regularly when the kids were little. Now that's a grueller. What type of work will you be doing?

17. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Hi James. I've heard that rumour, that the popsicle purple ones were half a mile an hour faster on a Tuesday evening. I can't confirm or deny it though.
    Now that's dedication, getting one 18 months before you could legally ride it. My mate and I were given an NSU Quickly when we were 14. Were managed to get it running after several weeks of tinkering then rode it in a field. I have to say it's name wasn't an accurate description of it's performance. We also had a similar experience with a Raleigh Runabout. I think I could actually run faster. It all fed the hunger though. Until the long awaited day of FREEDOM. Brilliant. How do 14 going on 16 year olds get their kicks now? Actually, don't answer that, I'm not sure I'd like the answer.

18. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Modified/improved tail light and license plate holder.

19. wrenchmonkey

wrenchmonkey Member

You sir have an attention for detail. Wonderful work! I don't know if I like the bike or scenery more. They both look amazing! The English countryside is definitely on my list of places to visit.

20. Greenbike

Greenbike Member

Very nice too.