1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

RobbieRobot Cafe Racer Project in pictures

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RobbieRobot, Jul 16, 2013.

1. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Rack going back together

2. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Rack re-assembled.

3. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Float level wet setting in progress.

4. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Fuel level in the clear tube can be used to gauge the height of the fuel in the bowl. It's the only accurate way to make this measurement.

5. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Well, I'm pleased to report, a major milestone was reached on Tuesday of this week. After reassembling the carbs having carried out a 100% thorough 'church of clean' clean. I finally got to try out my new vacuum gauges followed by my new Colortune. Despite having pod filters (with an internal modification) the carb syncing and colortuning eventually resulted in a steady idle, good response into wider throttle movements and rapid return to idle. Non of theese conditions had been achieved previously. Up until Tuesday I had never ridden the bike so I quickly fitted the clutch cable and still with the temporary fuel supply attached I actally got my first ride. Up and down the street several times and everything performing better than I had hoped. However I am under no illusion that I will have a lot of work ahead of me trying out various jetting mods once I get chance to test the bike out right through the rev range. There is still some way to go on this build yet regarding cosmetic fittings but I am determined to do everything with my own two hands as I have already done so far (apart from powder coating the frame and wheels). Watch this space.

Robbie

6. kinen1

kinen1 Member

I am in for it!

what colour/s have you got in mind for the bike?

The electric plate that you have fitted in the "new" position... does the fuel tank clear it well?

By the way what did you put inside your fuel tank to clean it?

keep us posted :))

kinen1

7. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Hi kinen1, Thanks for your interest.
    The tank and seat will be silver, possibly with black pin striping Manx Norton style. Yes the Ducati tank that I am using has a large amount of clearance now that I have settled on it's final position. It has to sit quite high to allow the petrol cocks to clear the carbs and it has to sit far enough back for the clip-ons to clear on full lock. I'll be adding more pics shortly with the tank and seat fitted. I'll soon be working on a seat pad to merge the contours between the tank and seat. I've ordered Trident type Lucas incandescent indicators (signallers) a new cast alloy rear light unit and bar-end mirrors.
    Regarding cleaning the inside of the tank, I have spent ages on this. I bought the tank very cheaply from a very nice guy who first advertised it on eBay but quickly withdrew it when he realized it had been modified. It had previously been professionally cut-open, refurbished and enlarged to 4 UK Gallons. When I contacted him in the hope of buying it he refused as he didn't want to post it but when I sent him some photos of the project bike that I wanted it for, he actually posted it free and would only accept £20 for it. He said he was keeping it for a special project bike but realized he would never get round to it. Fortunately for me he seemed very impressed with mine. Anyway, it wasn't too bad inside but did have some light rusting. I rigged up a Wallace and Grommet style contraption to rotate it with stainless steel nuts and bolts and white spirit inside but it didn't improve things much although several cycles did produce a lot of rusty sludge. I have just read this http://www.realclassic.co.uk/techfiles/ ... moval.html
    and so I've ordered some Spirits of Salt to do a proper job. I'm hoping to get away without using any sort of liquid liner. If you are interested I'll let you know how it goes.

8. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Pilot Mixture Screw

9. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Shadowgraph projection of the pilot mixture screw showing rough thread.

10. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Video of engine idling, revving and returning to idle after carb vacuum sync and colortune.

11. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Tank and seat in final fitted position. A seat pad is now required to blend the contours between the tank and seat.

12. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

3mm Aluminium sheet. Very handy for making things like this........

13. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

[​IMG]

Rear mudguard lower fixing bracket/anti-splash shield.

14. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Good work on fabbing.

15. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Thanks Orange-n-Black, I appreciate your comments. I think I will have a go at fabbing a different instrument bracket. The original one does look a bit too high as mentioned in a previous comment. I'm always open to ideas. I wouldn't even completely rule out a half fairing.

16. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

is it just crappy audio? or does it sound really rattily? nice looking project, a real departure from the original.

CN

17. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

That's an interesting point CN. Perhaps you would help me out by shooting a vid of your bike doing the same thing with your phone camera in a garage so I can compare the sound.

18. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

funny you should mention that, I actually gave that some thought before posting. I don't have my bike in a garage but I could shoot a vid with my phone to compare and see if mine sounds like marbles in a blender too.

CN

19. kinen1

kinen1 Member

hi Robbie,

It is really good to hear that the tank clear the electric and the petcock.

I have the same XJ 650 as you! I have always like the look of some of the cafe racers and decided to build it from this XJ. I have not work with bikes before so this is going to be a learning thing and asking questions as I go.

I love this site! it got everything that Xj bikes need!

I will start a thread once I get it started.

Please keep us posted with the new tank cleaner product ( it sounds like a really good product).

I like the idea of silver and black pin striping!

keep it up and can't wait to see the end product!

kinen1

20. RobbieRobot

RobbieRobot Member

Hey CN. I just played my vid with headphones on and you are right, it does sound like marbles in a blender. It definitely didn't sound that bad standing next to it. Anyway, I hope to get the tank finished this weekend so I'll soon be running it again and will be listening very carefully.