1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

My mistake. I forgot about what the expected voltage drop should be where you're measuring.

MrSeca likes this.
  2. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

No, the wiring is all different.
    I did track down a gentleman who owns a Seca 650 and he was cool with me borrowing his TCI to try on my bike. I also found 4 of them on ebay all within 40-70 dollars. I'm meeting him Monday. We shall see....

3. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Hopefully XJ550H will confirm the wiring, but better make sure it is right before trying the gentleman's TCI. Maybe post a pic of your TCI and wiring where we can look at the wiring colors.

MrSeca likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I will get the pinout for the XJ650RJ

MrSeca likes this.
  5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Here is a pic of the wiring harness from my TCI unit.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  6. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I thought I'd conduct a few more tests while I wait for the TCI. I think I did this test right. I measured the voltage at the orange and grey wire. I connected the positive probe to the orange wire at the 4-pin connector side of the TCI and the negative probe to the negative battery terminal, turned the key on, and I measured 1.2volts. Pretty much the same result happened at the grey wire. There was no change of any sort. It stayed at 1.2volts the whole time. Did I do this test right? Should the number be this low?

7. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

My xj550 Maxim looks the same. What is the TCI type and pn on the sticker?

8. Rooster53

((Edit 4-8-19: Looking like the pinout is the same and the wiring diagrams published in the haynes manual are incorrect so the below statement is incorrect))
    Well the pinout for the XJ550 and XJ650 Seca are definitely different for the 4 pin connector, and it looks like what you have is correct for the XJ650 Seca. My apologies for not catching this earlier. Looking at the Haynes manual it looks like the only compatible TCI's with the XJ650 Seca as far as wiring is the XJ650 J and K - none of the 750's are a match.

I would say yes you did the test correctly. I am also assuming that the TCI for this bike has the same built in protection for the coils and that the orange and gray wire should switch to near 12 volts after two seconds or so, otherwise the coils and the TCI would overheat and cause damage if the ignition key was left on without the bike running. So my best guess right now is that TCI is defective.

One other test you could do to look for shorted output transistors is to disconnect the 4 pin connector. Ohm on the TCI from the corresponding orange wire to the corresponding black wire, do the same for the corresponding gray wire and both should be a high resistance.

And, since the XJ650 Seca utilizes the ignition cutoff (B/W) wire normally you could put the bike in gear with the side stand down and both the orange and gray wires would be inhibited internally in the TCI and could not go low. Since you don't have the side stand switch you could just ground the B/W wire to the frame and the orange and black wires should be near 12 volts.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    MrSeca likes this.
  9. XJ550H

the XJ650RJ non yics motor pins out the same as the 550's and 82 XJ650 maxim and 82, 83 XJ750 Maxims

this leaves out compatibility of the 1980 XJ650 midnight (non yics) which is a black label tci.
    As well as 80 XJ650 (non yics) and 81 XJ650 which can be yics or Non yics.

10. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

This is what is on my bike.

Attached Files:

11. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

[​IMG]

12. XJ550H

that is green label it is the correct tci for your XJ650RJ

Ryengoth likes this.
  13. XJ550H

your 4 pin connector is in upside down.
    upsidedown 1.png

this the correct way below
    correct.PNG

Ryengoth likes this.
  14. Rooster53

Don't you guys love the internet - so easy to get confused, and I think I am totally confused. The snapshot below is from the Haynes manual for the XJ650 Seca. Isn't MrSeca's 4 pin harness wired and connected like below? Now that I look closer the six pin connector is different - B/W reversed with B. I know it wouldn't be the first time a wiring diagram was incorrect.
    ((Edit 4-8-19: diagram from Haynes manual incorrect for both the 4 and 6 terminal connector))

XJ550H is your 650 accessible just to be 100% sure - I understand if it is stowed away some where.

upload_2019-4-7_18-44-11.png

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  15. Rooster53

OK, so on the assumption that the Haynes has the wiring diagram incorrect there is a pretty easy way to tell. The 12 VDC return should be common with the pickup return. So, remove the connectors from the TCI and verify a short as below on the TCI pins. If your TCI checks like the photo, then yes the TCI is mis-wired. I can't imagine how the connector could go in upside down as it is keyed and would take a lot of force. Seems more likely it would have been incorrectly re-pinned.

I did find a pickup assembly on Ebay with a good enough photo to verify your six pin connector is correct - so Haynes / Yamaha got that wrong.

upload_2019-4-7_20-58-18.png

16. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Rooster that 4-pin is upside-down. Maybe the latch broke off? The housing is not keyed at all so you can plug it in backwards. Or, is the 6-pin upside down?? Is the latch boss on the bottom of the TCI housing?

See my connector:

[​IMG]

17. Rooster53

I believe they are keyed - photo below borrowed from Ebay XJ650 Seca parts. The connector should only go in one way.

Hope it is that easy and if so it did not damage the TCI

upload_2019-4-7_21-33-50.png

Ryengoth likes this.
  18. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Looks like we really stumbled across something here. I double checked and I assure you I am correctly inserting the 4-pin connector. I tried turning it the other way but as Rooster mentioned it is keyed and nearly impossible to do so. Having said that, Rooster, could you explain how to do your test a little more simpler? Like, put your red probe here, and black probe here, ect. Since I'm a bit new to repairing bikes terms like "VDC" and "verifying a short" are a little foreign to me.
    Regardless, I will be meeting a gentleman tomorrow who has my same exact bike so I can borrow his TCI. I will compare and take many pictures!!!!!

19. Rooster53

The goal is to determine which terminal is truly the return line for the TCI (black wire), currently yours is connected to the upper outside pin and the thought is that it should be the bottom inside pin. Since the black wire return is common with the pickup returns we can determine if your bike is currently mis-wired if the TCI 12 volt return is identified. So, it's a simple test if you check continuity at the TCI terminals and the pins marked with the red arrows ohm as a short, then that would indicate the black wire on the 4 pin connector is in the wrong position, and therefore the rest of the wires on that connector.

So if you determine the 4 terminal connector is mis-wired either through the ohm checks or by checking the other bike - or someone posts a picture then re-pinning your connector is fairly easy. It somewhat depends on the connector style, but you should see either a metal tang or a plastic lock that secures the connector terminal inside the connector. A small jewelers screwdriver (or something similar) can be used to release the lock allowing the wire to be removed and then simply pushed back into the correct location.

And a bit more you can check:

upload_2019-4-8_7-26-10.png

20. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

That's true if the plug has a key on it. I don't remember seeing a key on mine I think it's smooth apart from the stop-bosses. I'll check it tonight since the TCI housings appear to be the same. I also have another XJ550 harness I can compare to just in-case one was hacked there.

Yes, these are all terminal tab retained. Have to be really careful with the tabs since the terminals are solid brass. You can easily over bend them and they'll just fall out. These are most likely Sumitomo power terminals and can be replaced if needed. If Chacal does not have them listed in his catalog I can likely source them but would have to buy a whole reel minimum. The housings are another story.