1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Seca650 No spark

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MrSeca, Apr 2, 2019.

1. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

+1
    The headlight and sidestand realys are swappable, but are unalike internally.

MrSeca likes this.
  2. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Not yet Rooster. Life got in the way. But I will be getting to it soon and report my results.

3. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Update: the taillight does work and so does the front brake switch. Just have to figure out the sidestand switch, headlight, and back brake light.

k-moe likes this.
  4. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I have verified that the headlight, side stand, and starter ignition cutoff relays are in their respective places. See pics. I also included a picture of the headlight housing. What shall I do next?

BTW, as far as the headlight not turning on. Is it possible it just needs a new bulb? Can it be that simple?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  5. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Here's the correct side stand relay. Sorry about that.

Attached Files:

6. Colin 85 700

Colin 85 700 Active Member

You havent checked the bulb... :(

MrSeca likes this.
  7. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I know I know. Bulb looks good though and there is continuity.

8. Colin 85 700

Just try a new one, ive had too many faulty bulbs in my life to trust one even if it looks OK

MrSeca likes this.
  9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Another simple test for the head light is to bypass the head light relay for troubleshooting. At the head light relay main harness connector install a temporary jumper to short the R/Y to L/B wires and the head light should illuminate with just the key on - bike will not need to be running.

Also, if the drawing is correct the XJ650 Seca back light meter lights are powered by the output of the head light relay, so if those don't illuminate with the key on but do when the bike is started that would be an indication the head light relay is functioning.

And, yes it could be as simple as the bulb, although if you have tried both high and low beam it would seem less likely.

10. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

When you say the Head Light Relay Main Harness Connector I'm assuming you are referring to the one in the pic that I posted? And the Back Light Meter Lights I assume are the lights in the cluster?

11. Rooster53

Yes to the head light relay pic and lights - the back lights meaning the ones that illuminate the speedometer and tachometer for night driving.

MrSeca likes this.
  12. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Good news. The headlight DOES WORK when I bypass the relay. I guess the next thing to do would be to test the relays? Although, I didn't exactly know what I was doing I tried looking for continuity on the headlight, side stand, and ignition circuit relay by touching the meter probes to the relay pins in a variety of ways and I couldn't get continuity on any of the combinations, just a variety of ohm resistances or no reading at all.

Another thing I found odd. The tail light turns on only when I start the bike up. It does NOT turn on when I just turn the key.

As far as the meter lights, I'll have to try that when it gets dark.

13. Rooster53

So if it works when bypassed then it could be a couple of things - the head light relay is defective, the diode block is defective, or the wiring is bad. The charging system needs to be working but you verified that earlier.

Here is a pic of the internals on the headlight relay - the relay contains a set of normally open contacts so you won't read a short anywhere without energizing the relay. If you place +12V on the terminal marked W and return to B the relay should click and a short should appear from the terminals marked R/Y to L/B. If a DMM is set to the diode scale you can check the internal latching diode from L/B to W - it should read open in one direction and approximately 640 in the other. The diode check would be done with no power applied to the relay.

upload_2019-4-15_20-41-30.png

This is the side stand relay - it contains a set of normally closed contacts so you should read a short from the terminals marked B/W to B. If you apply +12V to the R/W terminal and return to the terminal marked L/Y the contacts should open and the meter should read infinity.

upload_2019-4-15_20-52-16.png

Haven't heard of that on any of the XJ's, and per the Hayne's wiring diagram the tail light should be powered by the ignition switch and illuminate when the switch is set to on.

14. Colin 85 700

The tail light thing is wierd, starting to wonder if ignition is faulty, have you tested it?

k-moe likes this.
  15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

meter lights and tail light comes on with key. no connection to headlight relay

k-moe likes this.
  16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Going back to the relays. The side stand relay should have a blue dot of paint on the base, and you provided a picture of the headlight relay twice. Can you confirm that the sidestand relay has that blue dot?

17. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Yes, it does have a blue dot. I posted another pic of it after the initial foul up.

k-moe likes this.
  18. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I can definitely hear a faint but audible click, however, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a SHORT appearing. How do I detect a short?

19. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

I actually had a reading of 477 one way and open on the other. This is just concerning the headlight relay.

20. MrSeca

MrSeca Active Member

Now the tail light will not come on whether the bike is fired up or not. Frustrating.

The only light that turns on with just the key is the Neutral light. The meter lights do not turn on nor does the taillight. Not entirely sure what is happening. I'm hoping it's just a freak thing that will take care of itself.