1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Shirts

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ridz, Jul 21, 2007.

1. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

cash in hand...

waiting...it'll be cool to have an XJ shirt.

2. Scrape

Scrape Member

I may need some help but I think I can do it. I'm having a hard time nicking a good photo on a Google image search to get great resolution. I may have to take a pic of my 550's motor with my daughters 7 mega pixel camera. How do I convert the logo into an acceptable resolution because it doesn't blow up well without losing detail. Can I print and scan it at a higher DPI to get better resolution?...I'm lost! Bear with me because I'm just learning some of this stuff. Should I try, for example, to make maybe an all black line design?...at 100% contrast, as mentioned. I have to give that one a go to see if I can do it right. I'll run a test file of something later today to see if I'm going in the right direction.

3. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Set the camera to the highest resolution, and take the pic. A lot of cameras default to 640x480, which is fine for web work and whatnot, but not for what we're doing. Rescanning a picture will not work when the original was taken at a lower resolution. Take a couple and email them to me at kevin(at)70-71(dot)com I'll try to work them a bit and post here later. I'm off to AMA vintage days right now.

4. Kishkumen

Kishkumen Member

What's the cost per shirt for one tone screens? I am pretty sure I can keep it fairly cheap in town here for 3 colors and keep the cost < $15 shirt, depending on style of shirt.

5. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Get the original from Sno rather than grabbing the tiny one from the web page.

6. Kishkumen

Kishkumen Member

Or get the original and retrace it out as a shape in photoshop, thereby you can scale it w/o losing resolution.

7. Scrape

Scrape Member

Sorry for the delay, got busy Sunday and picked up a new motorcycle jacket after work yesterday that I so desperately needed. I'll take the motor pic after work today.

8. ridz

ridz Member

Wher are we @ men...are we making any head way with this? I hope so im soooooooooooooooooooo anxious :!:

9. Scrape

Scrape Member

I have this so far:

[​IMG]

I have the file on it for a high resolution pic but this pic here is a reduced size just to view here. I have to clean it up but will this work for the motor? Don't be shy because it is our tee shirt we are talking about here and it has to be right.

10. Scrape

Scrape Member

I can rotate the motor, make the exhaust longer ect... Use your imagination and let's see where this goes. Like I said, I have a lot of clean/touch up but I don't want to spend much time on this one if it's not right. Your welcome to send me a pic file also to work with.

11. ridz

ridz Member

You know I would be happy with that on the back and xj symbol on the front and im ready to purchase !

12. Nick

Nick Member

Scrape, looks good but I would try to get the clutch cable out of the picture.

13. Scrape

Scrape Member

I'll do that for sure, I also have to work on the pipes because the chrome played tricks on the effects that I had to use. I may take the host pic over ,and spray the chrome with this liquid wax I have to dull the finish, so it doesn't reflect anything in the foreground anymore.

14. 82XJ

82XJ Member

My completely non-expert opinion:

There should be a couple of things going on in the t-shirt design. First of all, the front logo should simply be the XJ-bikes logo. Just replace the orange with black, and it'll work fine for a single-color print run. Maybe print the web address in a smaller font underneath it...

For the back picture, I really like the exploded carb, but there are a couple issues with that, IMO. First, that image is copyrighted. Second, I think the picture should be something that's easily identifiable by the average XJ owner as XJ-specific. The carb diagram could conceivably be from any number of bikes, and most wouldn't know the difference unless they had a manual handy to compare it to.

That's why I really like the engine-and-pipes image, if we can get it simplified into a line image that can be printed on a T-shirt but still be recognizable. Bonus if we can keep the YICS logo readable. (I know not all XJ's have YICS, but most XJ-owners would recognize it, I think...)

Finally, if we put a slogan on it, it should be something in the nature of an "inside" statement - something that site members would recognize. "Rick says 'check your brushes'" is classic, I think, but there are probably other one-liners that would work equally well.

Basically, the way I see it, any XJ-owner should "get" the picture, but only site members would "get" the slogan. Does that make sense the way I described it?

Anyway, I like what we've got so far... let's get this rolling. :)

P.S.: Wherever we get these printed, can we make sure we can order them in appropriate sizes for those of us who need, shall we say, "extra coverage"? ;)

15. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Site Owner Staff Member Administrator

Correct Nick.

Getting the logo designed was the first step to getting the XJBikes products. I already have setup the cafepress store and it seems that now it's a good time to get some shirt designs. In the next 2 weeks Mrs Sno will be working on getting the graphics for the web store. Please keep posting the slogans and any custom pics. The Yamaha logo can not be used for legal reasons.

16. Scrape

Scrape Member

I don't know how to do a line image without using tracing paper and a scanner to create a file....it is possible! My last image is the only way I know, so far, to make it black color and having to utilize a pic of a real motor. I was hoping that it was possible to print that pic. I just need a pic of something that I can work with to do anything different.

I'll redo the last pic method tonight and post the results Saturday morning. I'll fix the pipes and overall pic with the deletion of the clutch cable also. It will look good when I'm done but I just want to explain some of my trials and why I did it. I had to leave the front of the motor darker as to hide the bike frame easier....it's a chore digitally. I have to get rid of the rear foot peg and bracket, as it is, digitally but will just disconnect the clutch cable for the pic because it is faster and better to do it that way. If someone took a pic of a junk motor with pipes sitting on the work bench, I could do something much better. The effects I use would hide any defects or nothing a little touch up can't cure, so don't worry about the condition of the host assembly for the pic.

17. Scrape

Scrape Member

I was also thinking that if the logo and possile home web address is on the front then the motor on the back will look a bit lonely. Maybe I can put some cool "XJ" letter text with it and have maybe some Yamaha blue flames shooting off behind it. I dunno...comments? As far as inside forum sayings, that can be an open topic for later additions.

18. biggmeany2000

biggmeany2000 Member

The blue and white Yamaha Logo with the 3 tuning forks would look cool. Maybe on the shirt sleeve . Just an :idea: .

19. 82XJ

82XJ Member

Yes, we all agree that would be cool. However:

Scrape, I guess I didn't mean it had to be a line image, just simplified enough to make it feasible to print. I really like your image as-is, in fact, but it has lots of shading that I think would be expensive to print. I'd buy one, but I don't think you'd be able to hit the $12-15 price point that people have mentioned.

Doesn't hurt to try, though, and I'd love to be proven wrong! :wink:

20. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

something like this doable ?