1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SIMPLE MOD MAY SOLVE POD TUNING HARDSHIPS!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RickCoMatic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

hey guys rick thanks for the input. on the tuning i will tune to that. i have one problem right now the previous owner had the carbs tuned a long time ago and the guy messed up my third carb idle screw very hard to turn. what is a fix to this. if you guy know of one. can we fine replacement screws. or am i just SCREWED.. don't mind the pun.

2. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Hey, .... Waldo!
    I started this thread.
    If there's anything ... at all ... you need to know about these Carbs, ... I'm pretty sure we got it covered, in here.

You've been here since 2009.
    We've been hashing the issue of Pods over for 3 years longer than you've been around.

We've tried just about everything there is and done a few Mods that approach Science Fiction, ... long before you checked-in and started telling us we're barking up the wrong tree.

Save the negativity, dude.
    WE KNOW.
    Been there; done that.
    More than once.

This Thread is yet one more to add to a very long list of things to try and do in order to maybe make a Plant with Pods installed run better.

THIS is how we have fun.

3. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

The Empire strikes back.
    So we are up to episode V.

May the pods be with you,

Always!

4. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

Waldo,
    I believe that everyone (here) is aware that it is difficult to accomplish. I certainly don't believe that even the best effort will result in an increase of 30% in power, the amount generally required for human perception to be able to notice the change (without using measurement instruments). For some it is the challenge to increase performance beyond that of the original engineering design. In this case, however, people have been trying for nearly 30 years to do that and so far no one has (to the best of my knowledge) come up with a repeatable conversion kit/design which exceeds the OEM design.

I understand that there are those who just need the "cool" factor, but then why not get the cool bike you wanted in the first place rather than trying to bastardize something else into what you want?

5. RickCoMatic

That the Mixture Screw WILL turn is a good sign.
    You have a fighting chance to get it out.

Here's what has worked for me.
    Clean Hold above Screw Top
    Fill Hole with Virgin Olive Oil
    Heat
    ::: Olive Oil will NOT Boil or Flame-up
    ::: Be careful not to get burned
    Dump Olive Oil
    Add Marvel Oil

Screw --> DOWN ::: Then, ... UP.
    A bit more UP each time.

Screw Down
    Chase Hole Threads
    M6X0.5 BOTTOM TAP
    ::: BOTTOM TAP --> Flat-ended :::
    Clean, Oil, Remove.

Drill center
    Use EZ-Out

6. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

im doing ready on our carbs and engine. i have read about a second mixture screw located between the middle of the carbs on the back of the engine. there is a cover there. this is the 3-4000 range snyc screw. has anyone every messed with them to help out with the pods before.

7. mook1al

mook1al Member

[quote="Wrench26"i have read about a second mixture screw located between the middle of the carbs on the back of the engine. there is a cover there. this is the 3-4000 range snyc screw. has anyone every messed with them to help out with the pods before.[/quote]

If you can find a pic of this screw, post it. Never heard of it and would love to see it. Sounds like the idle adjustment screw to me.

8. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

will get the picture there are def two located on bike will take picture of cover and post asap. maybe that is alot of the problem with the pods... always leaning otu at the 4k range

9. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

10. RickCoMatic

I just looked at the Hitachi Link.

He'd DEAD WRONG about the Pilot Mixture Screws.

The Pilot Mixture Screws control --> AIR.
    There is a Branch Connection on the AIR Passage that draws Fuel up from the Pilot Fuel Jet.

The Screw CONTROLS the Air Flow.
    There's NO Fuel Adjustment.
    More or Less Fuel beyond what gets supplied by the Jet requires changing the Pilot Jet.

11. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

Ok he may be wrong on a few things but the question really is if your not sync'd at 4K would that cause lean conditions because carb/engine is fighting each other. Could this if it does be ajusted to help cruising speed leanness.

12. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

If you're sync'ed at idle, you're sync'ed at 4K RPM. How would you sync under a cruising load, unless you're on a dyno, at $85 / HR ??

13. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i sync my bmw at 4K and idle but that's FI. the sync at two speeds is mainly for smooth throttle response

14. mook1al

mook1al Member

Well now, depends on what one is referring to as "syncing". Anytime one adjusts the air/fuel mixture, it is done so per cylinder or carb, not necessarily syncing the four carbs. Syncing is adjusting the butterfly openings equally across all four carbs.

15. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

I have to do a lot more research on this other adjustment screw and see what it really does. And still have to finish the last two breather pipes. Been so busy.

16. tumbleweed_biff

Rick,
    FYI: Avacado oil has a much higher smoke temperature than olive oil. You might want to try that some time ... It is the best oil I have experienced for popcorn. Gets hotter than most without any burning and provides its own natural buttery taste! Ymmmm uhmmmm.

17. waldo

waldo Member

18. waldo

waldo Member

I did not even know there was such a think as avocado oil. I will defiantly give that a try.

19. tumbleweed_biff

Williams-Sonoma back in about '89 was the place I learned of it. Unfortunately, it is very hard to find for cooking and always ridiculously expensive as such. It is used more commonly by the cosmetics industry and much cheaper there. I have never experimented with a cosmetic version as I have no idea what might be different in the processing or any of the additives which might or might not be present ... frustrating really, as it is excellent in cooking.

20. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

briefly:
    The airbox has a volume of about a gallon, and a restricted inlet, and a restrictive filter.
    Each intake stroke demands up to 5% of this volume - the demand comes in pulses. It ends up being less than atmospheric pressure by a small amount.
    PODS do not have these restrictions.
    RickCoMatic explains that some of the incoming air crosses the "D" shaped opening in such a way as to set-up a Bernoulli Effectand some turbulence that is not there in the stock configuration. This affects an important air metering jet that needs to "see atmospheric pressure". The recent, brilliant solution is to directly "pipe-in" some atmosphere.
    ****I'd like to add that the tube doesn't need to go thru the end of the POD- just near the end, the tube could have small perforations on the lower surface to get the "average air pressure" in the POD to the "D" opening. (small holes change the sound in a flute - holes smaller than the air jet) This also eliminates the need for "mini-filters".
    What doesn't work?? How do you know??