1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

SIMPLE MOD MAY SOLVE POD TUNING HARDSHIPS!

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by RickCoMatic, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

I am going to make a few changes to the set up. im going to have to insert holes into the tube after it goes inside of the cone. I believe that since the there is a jet located under the diapham i believe that this isn't getten enough air flow to allow my choke to idle up like it should. Since it is runnign SO rich when choke on. I believe it isn't getting enough airflow.

Another point with the lean mixture. we go from a restricted inlate tube to a fully open cone that has almost if not double the quantity of air that be push though and the rejetting all you do it try to make the carb atomis more fuel. But im thinking that if i change the main air jet in the carb to allow more air to flow arround the emulsion tube it will better atomis fuel and allow more fuel to be delivered.

Help me out guy what is you im put Rick you know the most that i have read and the write ups from XJ4ever have help so much. what you guys think.

2. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

[​IMG]

Problem solved.

3. Ledicott96

Ledicott96 Member

+1 to that.
    Al

4. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

but most people can't afford those and they want to look of pods along with the performance.

5. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I know. I have stock carbs with pods on my XJ, these CRs are for my CB.

6. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

I hope i can help you out once i figure this mod out.

7. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Are you talking to me? I dont need help, thanks though. My bikes run great without this makeshift mod.

8. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

Gents, remember that the choke on these bikes is really an enrichment circuit, the opposite of what you expect. By putting the choke on at the idle rpm's you are making the mixture rich, which is what you described happening. Try again with the choke off ...

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

The Jets beneath the Diaphragm are:

Pilot AIR and Main AIR.
    Neither one has anything at all to do with "CHOKE"

The "Choke" does not choke.
    Rather, ... it is a Extra-Fuel System.

There is the Possibility that the Main AIR and Pilot AIR Jets are Reversed.
    It happens.

If the Carbs had a JET KIT Installed, ... you need to return to Stock.

If the Pistons were drilled with an extra hole or the Std Hole enlarged, ...
    Return to stock.

The easy way would be Diaphragm Pistons from Parts Carbs.

::: Although you can fuss-around and repair the drilled holes to correct size.

You can "Sweat" a miniature Patch of Shim Stock over the extra hole.
    >> Remove Needle Assy <<

You can PLUG a Hole with a Copper B-B ~ Peened and Soldered

Also, ... Solder the "Filed-down, sanded and fitted" HEAD of a Brass Machine Screw into the Hole and remove and dress the threaded shank.

Swapping Parts is easier.

10. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

The weird this is that until I added the tubes there was no problem with the joke at all. It flood the system. Turns the plugs almost chacolate. So I'm thinking after reading the info on how carbs work that there isn't enough air when choked but just enough when not choked. I'm going to move the main needle C clip down on I believe that put more fuel in. If I'm wrong please tell me. Trying to get the right mixture before really messing with the enrichment port.

11. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

In a "normal" carb setup, the choke reduces the amount of air coming in to make the fuel mixture richer. Yamaha set it up so that the "choke" adds additional fuel, rather than reducing air flow. So yes, having the choke on will turn the plugs chocolate if the system is off kilter.

Nothing to mess with regarding the enrichment circuit other than making sure it is clean and functional. Follow Rick's guide to setting you pilot jets after doing a bench synch and you should be good to go!

12. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Can't you just use partial enrichment? (don't put the 'choke' fully on?)

13. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

it floods it with very little added. so i need to do some playing

14. ol_750

ol_750 Member

8O Ok .. A question ... These are a pod type filter for Mikunis on HD's, Why are they being claimed as the "Ducks Guts " for performance.

Fits CV carburetors only.
    http://www.dragstripracer.com/product/p ... tor-by-bcm
    BCM (Boyle Custom Moto) Air cleaners are machined from 6061 aluminum, then hand massaged to meet their high standards and insure a quality fit and finish.

BCM enlisted the help of some trusted motor gurus to help in the basket design. This basket design greatly minimizes air restriction and with the addition of the â„¢"vortex cone" you get increased and properly directed air flow. The high percentage open area stainless cage allows more air flow to pass through quickly and easily.

With a lot of help from the guys at Uni Filter the right foam density for a BCM propriety big twin filter element was created. Uni filter cuts and glues the filter specifically for BCM to ensure the best fit.

15. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Imagine that a vortex cone, sounds kinda familiar.

16. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Fantastic thread guys. Hats off to Wrench26 for his work on this. love the way the pods work. I'll happily switch over to them, when they get this figured out....

17. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

hey guy i havn't been on in a while been very busy a new baby and all. but i have a few idea that should eliminate my choke problem and the tunnign problem once and for all. i have been soldiering the tubs together making a tight seal from the air in the cone. i believe that the air travelign to the upper area. is needed in more ways than we know. so what im going to do it make four new insert with the seam on the top. this would elimiate the turbulance and also allow the bellow to breather as much as it it needed with out any kinda restrictions. when i complete will let you all know how it goes.

18. mapekinea

mapekinea New Member

Has anyone noticed that on most pods (I have seen) that the rubber that connects the pod to carb is closing upon the small kidney shaped opening? that is of course if your not running streetbrawlers velocity stack theory which seems to work on my bike just fine. This obstruction doesn't say anything about the turbulence but perhaps it could be making an impact somehow? I dunno thought I might throw that out there? :roll:

19. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

****Update****work in progress but by flipping the tubs and not sealing them I believe it's good. When I finish this last 500 mile test (have put 1500 on with test cruising and just plan beating the pants off the engine it's good). I will publish my finding and conclusion in about 2 weeks or so.

20. Rastacia

Rastacia Member

dont know if its any help to you guys but I originally had these pods on and it ran ok
    [​IMG]

but I then installed these and it runs much better , dont ask me why but I guess its the turbulance thing again
    [​IMG]

also theres a lot of people saying to start off with standard jets which is pointless , at least start using bigger mains and pilots . also a list as to what .mm hitachi jets are as a 43 pilot jet isnt 0.43 mm .