1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Site was down?

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by mtnbikecrazy55, Jul 1, 2013.

1. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Thanks for the info Raven, just donated 10 bones.

2. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Perhaps they should do like they do on the Venture Rider forum. you log on as a trial member for 60 days if you want stay on you pay $12 for the year. If you don't pay you don't get access to the site. Well worth it in my opinion and its cheap for all the help you get.

3. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

It took me that shotdown to make me realize the "make a donation" tab on the left side of the page, I haven't even seen it before.

4. Foolber

Foolber Member

Thats lame. I already pay my ISP. The stuff people put on the internet should be free.

5. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

sadly thats how most things are (charities, blood banks and such) all in need of support at all times but it takes a "tragedy" for them to get what they need. I had seen the button but didnt have that much needed 'push' to make me donate.

hmmm... maybe the mods just shit the site down for a day in hopes that would happen? lol i love conspiracy theories.

6. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

SnoSheriff puts money out his pocket to run this site. It is not free for him to keep it up and running. If it was not for him, the moderators and others most of the XJ/Secas on this site would be in the junk yards. 8O Not on the roads. Your ISP fee does not pay for this site and does not give you free access to anything. And this not a corporation site that makes money off of software users. It has been put up by an individual to help get these bikes back on the road and kept on the road. If there was a bike shop around that actually could work on them you would be paying $$$$$$$ big bucks to keep them on the road. You will spend all kinds of money on your bike but you begrudge a small token fee for the help you get. If you think the information and help you receive from this site is not worth anything to you. You my friend DO NOT belong here!! :evil: I think the pay for access is the only way to go if it means keeping the forum online and running.

7. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I dont like the "have to pay" sites, but I also believe in people supporting things that prove beneficial to them, be it only a dollar or two, or whatever feels right to the individual. Thats just me though.

8. Xjrider92117

Xjrider92117 Active Member

Well I'm one of the people that spends countless hours looking up topics for my bike to her back on the road. She almost there. Hopefully! And I have learned so much from this site as well. It was also all free!!!! That's why I helped out with 10 bucks not much but its better than nothing.

9. dubyaohohdee

dubyaohohdee Member

Do we know for a fact that the site is running at a loss? I wouldnt mind contributing perhaps, but the owner maybe in the positive on this operation.

I would like a "state of the union" post if it isnt too much trouble.

10. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

?? It has no mechanism for making money! How could it NOT run at a loss? RU volunteering to be the Treasurer? :lol:

11. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

There's ads, but not many, i doubt it covers what it costs to keep it up and running, server upgrades, etc. But thats just my thinking.

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Having Photos that are far too large contributes a good deal to the problem, I would think.

13. Foolber

Foolber Member

Lol some woke up on the wrong side of the bed. I run a shop that fixes old bikes. Don't make shit doin it either cause i dont want people to have to pay out the ass to ride em and keep em going.

14. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

never noticed it or bothered to look but if your NOT signed on and go to where it says Visitors and find a "my account" it looks like if the person has a e-mail listed, it's available to whoever looks.
    that's kind of a security problem.

15. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

That's why there is a field to enter a fake email address :)

16. Ted

Ted Member

Have you noticed that XJ4Ever is referred to as the "supporting vendor". My understanding is that XJBikes.com gets a kickback from XJ4Ever from all of the sales that are generated through this site. Between that and the small advertisements that kick out a few pennies for every thousand hits or so I feel like I've already contributed plenty. Now if the owners of the site were to show me otherwise I may feel compelled to make a donation but Snosherrif or whoever is in charge doesn't really seem to contribute much to the site anymore. If I was going to donate money anywhere I'd probably write a check to RickCoMatic, BigFitz52, and maybe a couple others that truly make this forum a valuable resource.

17. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

In that case I need to send a consultant fee to fitz for the airhead valve clearance and one to Rick for the carb cleaning "whole 9 yards".

Maybe one to Polock for the toilet mop post, too.

18. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

Dan, did you use one of those yet?

19. KDub

KDub Member

A few of the other bike forums I frequent have a "gold member" or similar system. Basically everyone can view and post in the main forums, but only gold members can sell stuff. Makes sense, why should traders (private or otherwise) be allowed to advertise for free?

20. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Sorry Polock, still sitting in my wish list. Had to sacrifice that expense for a new bulk order of diapers 8O

I like that idea KDub. Although that would kill the sell/swap section here, and ruin the day for a lot of us poor guys that need cheap shizzle, from the less fortunate dudes that need to part out the bikes that the forum just couldn't help.