1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Speedometer bulb won't turn on

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by IHATERUST, Aug 13, 2020.

1. IHATERUST

IHATERUST New Member

Hey guys.

The last thing my bike (xj650k) needed for certification was a speedometer light. No big deal right? Well I replaced it and the bulb is not turning on. Does the bike have to be moving for it to be illuminated? Fuse issue? I'm at a loss. I've done minor fixes on my cars before but never any electrical work

When I pulled the bulb originally it was blown... The bulb housing doesn't look dirty or corroded either. Tach light worked before and after a new bulb as well. There's also a few butt connections (look decades old) in the headlight house that lead to dead ends. Could one of these be for the bulb?

Thanks to all you guys who put in the work to guide us smoothbrain noobs.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Does it have the original fusebox?

3. IHATERUST

IHATERUST New Member

Yes. Is there a secret to getting the lid off? I got the lid off to replace the headlight fuse when I got it, but now it seems to be jammed on there, which is why I didn't check originally.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

5. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

both tach and speedo back light are fed volyage by a blue wire and are connected to (L/B ) blue/black wire at headlight relay.

both have seperate grounds.

so with bike running check for 12 volts at blue wire at connector. check ground wire with for 12 volts between battery positive and black wire

speedo has 3 position connector with black,blue, and white/green wire

tach has 4 position connector blue wire ,black wire for bulb brown wire and orange wire for tach with a black wire jumping from tach to bulb ground.

they are powered by headlight fuse

6. IHATERUST

IHATERUST New Member

Sorry to bump a kinda dumb thread but I got it figured out. The guy who owned this bike previously spliced the wiring for the speedo bulb into two female spade connectors that were presumably "docking" with each other (????????????). They came out when i swapped the headlight I think. I unfrigged it and she's safety certified and out on the road. These old things have a lot of get up and go!

XJ550H likes this.
  7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

we always like to hear the answers to issues people have had.