1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Spin on oil filter not clearing 4 in 1

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jeremym, Oct 7, 2021.

1. jeremym

jeremym New Member

Hello, I have a 82 750 that I'm putting an exhaust on, a previous owner installed an adapter kit to a spin on style oil filter, there is no way it can clear the header pipes, the filter on there is a PL 34631 which is huge, does anybody know of any smaller filters with the same thread pitch as a pl34631? Or if anyone has other suggestions that'd be great aswell I went to the parts store and looked at a few but none seemed to be the same threads.

Thanks, this site has been a life saver.

2. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

Do your own search, based on filter type (nrv, relief valve - I’m guessing neither?), thread, seal diameter. I you’relucky, someone on here has done it for you....

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Check Subaru Justy oil filter Bosch 0986452058 @Polock will know.

4. jeremym

jeremym New Member

I now see there's a website that has the thread size and everything for it I didn't know that existed, that's very helpful, half the battle is whoever did the spin on conversion didn't seem to use the kit common on here it's some sketchy one

5. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

try to post a pic of it, i use a diversion / honda goldwing filter, hi -flo 303 i think it is

6. jeremym

jeremym New Member

Okay guys so thought I'd update this for anyone else who encounters this problem, so the adapter that was used on my bike by the previous owner doesn't seem to be the kit that is popular on here, the threads on the stud are fubar and it's crushed. However, the filter still spun on. But I could not find another filter that was small enough to clear the 4 in 1. And also I can't get a pair of vice grips on the stud without pulling the exhaust off which I just put on with new gaskets, so I welded a nut into the end of the stud and it came right out! So I think I'll go back to the stock filter housing for now! Thanks for everyone's suggestions. PXL_20211013_222912747.jpg PXL_20211010_184655325.jpg PXL_20211013_223331650.jpg

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That’s not even a proper conversion. It’s just a pipe fitting and a truck filter. No wonder it wouldn’t clear the headers.

8. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'll sell ya real conversion kit, cheap !

9. jeremym

jeremym New Member

Yeah, the bike is full of this kind of work, this is my first motorcycle and I wanted something to learn to work on well I got my wish haha

10. jeremym

jeremym New Member

Maybe when I get a nicer xj, this one is not worth putting any money into right now

11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Wonder if they rethreaded the block to get the pipe fitting to thread??? Then the original likely won't go back on.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Both parts have the same thread pitch.

cgutz likes this.