1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

sputtering/bogging out on initial take off.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by bendoza, Apr 18, 2013.

1. bendoza

bendoza Member

i'll look into this. thanks so much guys. you are all so much help. this coming weekend will be the wet test and idle jet cleaning. had a yamaha mechanic ride it the other day when i was looking at shims and the service tech recommended i investigate the pilot circuit and jet.

2. bendoza

bendoza Member

well.. checked levels. looking good. cleaned out pilot jet and passages. had the carbs all apart. reassembled. problem still exists. think its gotta be a vacuum leak.. keep looking i guess

3. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Yes, because intake valves #1, #3 and #4 are too tight as weel as all exhaust valves (well, exhaust #3 is not, but will be soon). YOu will need shims one size thinner for all of them. Depending on the numbers on the bottom side of the shims, you may be able to swap some of them.

4. bendoza

bendoza Member

shims are changed. had the carbs off again and cleaned them again.. they look quite clean. but maybe im wrong.

5. bendoza

bendoza Member

okay.. so. pretty sure something is either wrong with the petcock or with the fuel filter. fuel filter is laying horizontal to the ground. sometimes it stays less than half full. (this is when the bike seems to operate poorly). i noticed today while it was riding nice that the filter was pretty much full. noting this i arranged the filter so it sits vertical. took it for a ride to get gas. seems to be running a lot better now and filter seems to be mostly full except a small bubble near the top of the filter cone.

theres the update. thanks everyone for all your help. i'll keep you all updated to the success and findings to come.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

What was wrong is the orientation of the filter. You have to make sure that it doesn't get a bubble trapped in it; a bubble will reduce or eliminate fuel flow.

7. bendoza

bendoza Member

is there a simple way to eliminate all the air in the filter?

8. bendoza

bendoza Member

well. the fuel filter rearrangement seemed to have fixed my problem.

thanks everyone.