1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter Clutch problems (I think)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Huascar L. Hernandez, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Huascar L. Hernandez

Huascar L. Hernandez Member

Hi all,

So I finally got the head and block off. I've got a few questions. Image below shows pistons on but I already took them off, notice the 4 middle front studs are not on, they came off while trying to loosen the head holding nuts, guess they're extremely rusty, or was that by design, cause it truly did help with space when removing the pistons. Are there supposed to be spacers in the studs or something? While sliding off both the head and block chunks of what I thought was plastic kept coming off in cylindrical shape but were to brittle to hold shape once off, or is that just crud? Also, major pain when pulling the head because the front left (straddling the bike) most stud seemed to be to big for the whole, should I be concerned there?
    Last question, need the rotor puller tool and adapter, anyone know if amazon has it in prime for quick delivery?
    [​IMG]

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

some of the studs have a plastic tube on them not all of them it is to reduce sound vibration

3. XJ550H

4. Huascar L. Hernandez

Thanks but that’s not prime. Is it possible to purchase at Lowe’s or homedepot or something? What’s the bolt size? I saw someone saying it needed to be at least 3 inches but what size otherwise?

thanks

5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I used a 19 mm socket on the bolt I have off the nut splitter, the thread diameter is 15 mm (measured with a tape as unfortunately I don't have my micrometer at the moment) thread length is 45 mm and thread pitch is 1.5.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  6. Huascar L. Hernandez

looked at both lowes and home depot, neither had anything close in size :(, ended up ordering a set of pullers from Amazon. Should be here tomorrow but wont have time to try it until Tuesday night.

New question, pulled the clutch/crankcase cover and this metal thing slid out before I could take a picture of its position. Played around until I think I found the right position, is it right and what is its intended purpose? Also, second picture, see the lack of smoothness at the bottom, right above the bolt hole, is that supposed to be like that? i'd say no and that its jb weld but wanted to check. Looked underneath and didnt see any cracks on that side, but I honestly didnt fully lift the engine so I could have missed a spot.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It is your oil deflector plate.

8. Huascar L. Hernandez

What’s the purpose of the oil deflector?
    Also, took off all bolts on oil pan and been banging on all sides but it’s not budging. Any suggestions?

9. Huascar L. Hernandez

Well I got the oil pan off. Just took a few extra sacks, had left it sitting for a while after banging away for 5 minutes. Wonder if it just needed rest after removing the bolts.

found out something inside broke, probably a chain guide. Also found a metal piece covered in some kind of rubber. Will have to wait till it’s split to see if I find where it went.

having a hard time figuring out how to remove the main shaft oil pump sprocket. Any thoughts on that, it slides partially off the shaft but I still dont get enough of an angle or slack to remove the chain.

10. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes it will be the chain guide. The the oil deflector plate is a type of baffle which I believe catches the oil and feeds it back to the bottom of the clutch basket, because centrifugal force throws the oil around the inside of the periphery of the clutch cover. Have you removed the clutch because once the clutch basket is off you will be able to remove the oil pump chain. I assume the sprocket needs to be locked to remove the bolt, someone will let you know.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  11. Huascar L. Hernandez

Thanks Franz. Yes, the clutch basket was removed but I still didnt have enough slack (probably cause i couldn't even see the gears behind the gear plate). I was following the instructions on the service manual which only said "remove the sprocket", after going and reading the haynes manual they tell you to do it from the oil pump sprocket after removing the tin cover. That made it 100 times easier. No I'm ready to start splitting the case. Will see how it goes once I get a bit of time to myself.

Franz likes this.
  12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

A picture of the guide would be great.

13. XJ550H

guid pic.PNG

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Good schematic, do the bolts holding the chain guide come out easily or is it better to apply some heat to them first?

15. XJ550H

heat them it gets rough if you snap them

www.partzilla.com is a parts look up site with plenty of schematics

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Good site that I watched one of their technicians building an R1 engine.

17. Huascar L. Hernandez

here's a picture of my chain guide :) That metal piece, is it something from the chain guide? I'm so afraid of the split and finding bigger problems. I saw some of teh R1 rebuild vids, pretty good, DigitalPizza has some really good CBx engine rebuild videos, goes into detail and its actually what gave me the confidence to attempt this myself. I'm hoping to get a chance to do the actual case split tonight but lets see.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures at the moment, must be something wrong with my photo software. Yes the engine build videos are good. Remember what XJ 550 stated about those chain guide bolts and heat them before you remove them you don't want them snapping and use loctite on the new ones. I don't have the torque specs for them. Hopefully when you open the cases all will be well. Replace the guide, and starter clutch components items 7, 8 and 9 in the schematic, and check the oil spray nozzle which lubricates the Hi Vo chain. It can be damaged if the chain hits it. Oil Spray nozzle is behind the alternator rotor, here is a picture of the engine with the rotor removed. I can see pictures I upload onto the forum but not other pictures. I wonder how to fix this?

Alternator Rotor Removed.jpg .

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
  19. raskal

raskal Active Member

I can't see the pictures either
    Huascar maybe try uploading the pictures to this forum

20. Huascar L. Hernandez

Well thats a pain. I'd posted other pics in the previous replies on this post but I guess none were showing up. They're from my google photos but I tested it on a non signed in device and I thought i saw the images. Anyways, lets see if this works now. Question, are we not able to edit our previous posts? I was trying to go back and edit them to fix the images problem but I dont see an edit option. Oh, slide hammer is a wonderful invention, I couldn't get my middle gear out until I hooked it with the slide hammer, came out so easy.

so as a continuation of the status of the split. I've removed all top and bottom bolts but the case doesn't want to come apart. I'm banging it every which way but still nothing. I've left it overnight and will check on it today and see how it goes.

IMG_2476.jpg IMG_2477.jpg IMG_2478.jpg IMG_2540.jpg IMG_2618.jpg IMG_2623.jpg IMG_2668.jpg IMG_2669.jpg