1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Starter clutch slipping. White foam window & oil cap

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Bullxj750, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Hello, 1981 xj750 Seca. Bike sat all winter went to start it and Tries to turn over then slips. I wanna start it to do an oil change in hope of fixing the issue. Gonna switch from yamalube to rotella-4. The reason for the white foam in Window and oil cover Are from short drives to work all summer. I assume that stuff is all over my clutch plated. Wondering in anyone has any advice on this. Should I do an oil change cold or try to start it in this state after putting a space heater on to heat the engine ?

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I would do the oil change without running it. Most of the water that is in there should be settle down and hopefully will come out with the oil. Yes those short trips will do that. Have you made sure the hose from the crank case to the airbox is not plugged or pinched? That hose should help get rid of most of the moisture and or acids that build up in the engine. I use the Shell Rotella 4 and it works in these bikes just great.

3. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

That’s the kind advise I came here for. Never checked the hose yet. Thanks so much. I will make sure to do the oil change before running it and try to warm it the best i can with a space heater first to try to thin the oil some. Thanks again timbox.

4. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Sea Foam in the oil will help clean things when you get it running. Add the Sea Foam just before an oil change.

5. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Ok so is that the same seafoam as I put in my fuel? I did read in another starter clutch forum about people using seafoam but also others saying not to as you will not know if it’s all out. I do like seafoam but just a little nervous to make things worse.

6. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Oh and thanks for your input lostboy. Loving the great feeback boys.

7. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Using the sea foam just before and oil change to get all the gum out of the engine is good. Or pour some in, take a 20 mile ride and change the oil. I have heard most people do it in their cars about 100 miles before the change.

As for getting it all out, I would think that such a small amount might be left in the engine that it really makes do difference. The Sea foam will be overwhelmed by the new oil you are adding to the engine and no worries.

I have 3 project bikes now that are from 1977 to 85 and I will be trying this on all of them. I know there is sludge in these old engines and I want it out ASAP. So a quick few miles with some Sea foam and change the oil.

8. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Ok that sounds good to me. So that’s the same seafoam as I use in my fuel or is there another type of seafoam in need to look for.

9. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

And how much should I put in ?

10. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

11. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Yes the same Sea Foam that comes in a can with the twist off top. I would guess 1/4 bottle would be just fine. Nice looking bike, no gas leaking stains and nice crash bars.

12. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Thanks man she’s my baby. Payed $600 for it 2 years ago and no issues til now.

13. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

14. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

I think you add an ounce to the oil. Read the can see what it says. Good choice on the oil.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  15. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Thanks man can’t wait to do the oil change. I was thinking about draining a little oil and topping up with some of the new oil and the ounce or so of seafoam. Then getting it running like that hopefully. (cause of starter clutch slipping) Then do a full oil change after that with new filter.

16. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

I’ve been reading a lot of different forums and I’m starting to get nervous adding the seafoam to the crankcase. You guys are sure this is a good idea. I’d hate to make thing worse but would also like to make things better at the same time.

17. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Reading the forums is sort of dangerous. There are as many opinions on things like oil and tires as there are rectums publishing those opinions. Not to worry. My opinion is to read the Seafoam can. It will tell you that it is designed to put a tiny bit in the oil. It should help get the sludge out if you run the engine a bit and warm it up. Changing out cold and putting in fresh oil will help a little. Warming the engine first was the way I was taught. That will stir things up and get the bad stuff in suspension where it can flow out with the oil. A cold oil change lets it lay where ever it has landed.
    Purely my opinion and the rational for it. I am not offended if you do something else.
    John

18. Bullxj750

Bullxj750 New Member

Finally made the oil chage today. Had to do it cold as starter clutch wouldn’t engage. It came out like milk. (All white). I let it drain for a few hours. Put new filter in and filled it with rotella. Didn’t use any seafoam as I wanted to see if it would start without having to use it. She fired right up. Just gonna run this oil a few Km and do an early oil change. Also checked hose from engine to air filter and it was full of whit gunk so I cleaned that out too. Thanks for the help guys.

19. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Nice bike you got.

Jetfixer likes this.
  20. S10gto

S10gto Member

Very nice bike! Got a 81 myself I just finished restoring. $600 Wow now that's a deal!

Even still has the chain lock! Nice! :)

Jetfixer likes this.