1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Strat's 85 Maxim project bobber

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by strat, Aug 23, 2009.

1. thejewishguy

thejewishguy Member

What size are the apes ?

2. Orange-n-Black

Orange-n-Black Well-Known Member

Mount the front at the lower(hinge) part of the swingarm and run a couple of 1/4 inch struts from the lower shock mounts to the rear of the fender. That's about the only choice you have.

3. strat

strat Member

12" apes from tcbros

Orange n black... That's what I'm looking at doing... Just haven't figured out a clean way to do it yet and I will need to space it from the "hinge" to follow the radius of the tire.

4. Pr0zac

Pr0zac New Member

Or you could mount the base of the fender to the swingarm and run struts from the rear of the swingarm to the back edge of the fender.. that way its attached to swingarm completely and moves with it

5. Skipnick

Skipnick New Member

Rad bike!
    How exactly did you mount those turn signals on the back?
    Thanks!

6. strat

strat Member

I drilled holes in the frame... They aren't very straight though and need redone.

7. strat

strat Member

Been a bit since I updated this...

Santa brought me bike parts.

[​IMG]

Bigshankhank likes this.
  8. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Electronics boxes & oil tank?

9. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

Just got done *actually reading* your thread to prevent stupid questions. :D

Hey, man, in all seriousness, killer bike. I’ve an ’82 XJ bobber project and I was reeeeeeeally glad you posted the closeup picture of the forward seat mount. I’m having issues figuring out how mine’s gonna go on there, exactly, but the mount hits right about where yours does, so I guess that’s solved with a simple bracket.

Love what you’ve done here. Will be following this thread closely.

10. strat

strat Member

Faux oil tank and battery box. Electronics will go in the "oil tank"

11. strat

strat Member

Thanks! Do you have a build thread?

12. Skwerly

Skwerly Member

I actually don't yet, and funny enough... it didn't occur to me until i commented on this thread. I have sort of 'acquired' two half-done bobber projects and am working on the 'more done one' so i can ride something. i'll start a build thread soon lol--gosh, i'm getting bad in my old age. :D

13. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

Did you have to re-jet carb after fitting 4 individual air filters.

14. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

15. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yes. And it is best to use the airbox boots to connect the carbs to the pods, and make a mounting bracket to keep the carbs in place on the intake boots.

More info from: The Information Overload Hour

- WHAT ABOUT PODS?:

It's a question we get asked often and unfortunately, one that we cannot answer honestly about your specific bike besides with "it depends".

Which is a nice way of saying "you're about to enter the seventh circle of hell......."!

Carb jet tuning required by aftermarket modifications is somewhat of a black art, part science, part skill, part luck. It depends on the current state of tune of your engine, your altitude, the mix of aftermarket parts on your bike, etc........a lot of variables.

The best advice we can offer is: Just Say No!. Don't do it! Leave everything stock!

But, since most people---with good reason, I might add---don't always listen to our well-intentioned advice, then the next best recommendation we can offer is: "if you want more power get a bigger bike!".

And since that doesn't cut it with many owners, either, for the remaining stalwarts out there who insist on "experimenting" with aftermarket intake and exhaust systems, here's the best information that we've come across to give you some GUIDANCE, which you should take as just that, and not as ANSWERS, because it isn't!

And some pod filters make a difficult situation even worse.........read all about it:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/technical/19639-pod-filter-thread-geeto.html

MAIN FUEL JET SIZE CHANGES NEEDED PER TYPICAL MODIFICATION:

Typical Exhaust Changes:

+2 main fuel jet size for custom 4-into-2 exhaust

or

+4 main fuel jet sizes for 4-into-1 exhaust

or

+4 main jet sizes for no muffler (open headers)

Typical Intake Changes:

+2 main fuel jet sizes for single K&N filter (inside a stock airbox)

or

+2 main fuel jet size for drilling holes in the airbox with stock filter

or

+4 main fuel jet sizes for individual pod filters (no airbox)

Additional changes:

- Add up all the main fuel jet size increases and subtract 2 sizes.

- Decrease main fuel jet size by 2 sizes per every 2000' above sea level.

- Under a mis-match condition, such as when using pod filters with a 100% stock exhaust, or 4-into-1 header with stock filter and air box, then subtract 2 main fuel jet sizes.

PILOT FUEL JET SIZES CHANGES NEEDED PER TYPICAL MODIFICATION:

Pilot fuel jet size changes are related only to the change in main fuel jet sizes according to the main fuel jet size formula described above. Note that this pilot fuel jet rule is for the main fuel jet size change BEFORE any main fuel jet altitude compensation is factored in:

Increase the pilot fuel jet size +1 for every +3 main fuel jet size increases.

Additional changes:

- Decrease pilot fuel jet size by 1 for every 6000' above sea level.

PRECAUTIONS:

- Make sure your carbs are in perfect working order before making ANY jet changes....meaning fully cleaned internally and rebuilt, operating properly in their stock configuration, proper sized air jets and needles, etc. Otherwise, you'll like find that all of your efforts are going to be a HUGE waste of time.

- Check plug color often and adjust as needed, 2 main fuel jet sizes at a time and 1 pilot fuel jet size at a time. Bright white plug insulators are a sign of an overly lean fuel mixture condition and WILL cause damage to your engine over time, up to and including engine seizure!

- Synch the carbs after each jet change.

- Make sure the floats are set correctly

- Seriously consider purchasing a Colortune Plug Tuning kit.

- You may find it necessary to make changes to the size or shimming of the main jet needle. There are no guidelines on what or how to do these changes, this is true trial-and-error tuning!

EXAMPLE:

A 1982 XJ750RJ Seca using an aftermarket Supertrapp 4-into-1 exhaust and a single K&N air filter in the stock, unmodified airbox. Bike is primarily operated at an altitude of 2600 feet above sea level.

XJ750 Seca Stock Hitachi HSC32 Carb Jetting:

#120 Main Fuel Jet
    #40 Pilot Fuel Jet
    #50 Main Air Jet
    #225 Pilot Air Jet
    Y-13 Needle

MAIN FUEL JET SIZE CALCULATIONS:

Changes made:

Exhaust:
    4 into 1 with Supertrapp = +4 Sizes Main Fuel Jet

Intake:
    K&N Pod Filters = +4 sizes Main Fuel Jet
    ----------------------------
    Equals: +8 main fuel jet sizes above baseline
    Subtract: -2 main fuel jet size per formula above
    ----------------------------
    Equals: +6 main fuel jet sizes due to modifications, thus:

Stock main fuel jet size is: #120
    + 6 additional sizes
    = a #126 main fuel jet size
    ---------------------------
    Subtract: -2 main fuel jet sizes for Altitude of 2500' Average

= #126 calculated from above
    -2 jet sizes for altitude adjustment

= a #124 main fuel jet size.

PILOT FUEL JET SIZE CALCULATIONS:

The formula is: +1 pilot jet size increase for every +3 main jet sizes increased.

Stock pilot fuel jet size is: #40
    + 2 additional jet sizes (since we went up +6 main fuel jet sizes before the altitude compensation was factored in):

= a #42 pilot fuel jet size.

Note that no altitude compensation is needed on the pilot fuel jet since our elevation is less than 6000' a-s-l.

------------------------------

RESULT:

A #124 Main and #42 Pilot is A GOOD STARTING POINT.

Note that the above calculations do NOT take into account any possible changes in the sizes of the main or pilot air jets, the main needle or main needle jet size, and thus are additional variables and opportunities for tuning excellence. These are areas which are largely unexplored by most tuners, but logically should allow for additional fine tuning or additional rage and frustration.........

Normally, changing to an aftermarket exhaust does NOT require re-jetting, (or minimal re-jetting) as almost ALL of the airflow restriction in the airflow path thru the engine (meaning: ATMOSPHERE > AIRBOX > FILTER > AIRBOX BOOTS > CARBS > INTAKE MANIFOLDS > CYLINDER HEAD PASSAGES > EXHAUST SYSTEM > BACK OUT INTO THE ATMOSPHERE) is within the intake side of this air flow path, and primarily within the stock airbox/air filter. Your stock EXHAUST system can already flow more air volume than the stock INTAKE system allows.

Thus changing only the stock EXHAUST system, with no changes to the intake side of the heads, normally makes NO DIFFERENCE IN TOTAL AIRFLOW, and "no difference in total airflow" means "no difference in TOTAL FUEL FLOW" either, and thus bigger jets are not needed.

But once you start freeing up the INTAKE side of the entire system, you will produce more system airflow, even with a stock exhaust system (because, the stock exhaust system has the capability to flow more air through it than what the stock intake system allows).

This is why re-jetting is usually needed even if you keep the stock airbox and the stock exhaust, but use a K&N low-restriction filter, or even if you drill holes in the stock airbox, or leave the filter lid off.

All such actions free up the intake side airflow restrictions; the stock exhaust will move this additional airflow, and without providing addition FUEL flow to match the increased airflow (within limits, an engine will gobble up the maximum amount of airflow that it can; an internal combustion engine is actually just a self-powered AIR PUMP) then the engine will run "lean"---meaning not enough fuel to match the amount of airflow that the engine can (and now will) gulp.

Most pod type filters allow for vastly increased airflow, and thus require fuel re-jetting, and although no one really talks much about it, probably also require AIR JET changes to match the additional fuel flow, but since no one likes to deal with two parameters at once, it becomes a "tuning nightmare".

BUT, when you read all of the common symptoms of people who use pods, you quickly come to the conclusion that it's not possible to reproduce the stock "smooth in all rpm ranges" engine response. The reality is that you SHOULD be able to match it pretty darn closely, even with the increased airflow through the system, but ONLY changing the fuel jets isn't going to accomplish that. There are also air jets in the system, and they are there for a reason, as well as needle tapers and vacuum piston responsiveness issues.

For further insights and understanding, the Holy Grail (meaning: the whole miserable, un-varnished truth of what a real chore carb tuning is going to be, written by people who actually know what they're talking about, rather than by people who are trying to sell you something) can be found at:

www.factorypro.com

and then click on the "Product Support/Technical Support" link at the top of the page, then on the "Motorcycle Tuning Tech" link, and then the "CV Carb Tuning" link........and then read, weep, study, and do....if you still dare to! HINT: if reading through it makes you think to yourself "sheesh, this sounds like an incredible amount of effort!", well, you're right! That's just some of the joys (and pitfalls) of getting to play "tuning engineer", which is what you're going to be doing. Yamaha probably has 10 of those types of guys on staff, and millions of dollars of test equipment, both physical and computer-aided, that allowed them to get the mixture settings just right---from an overall drivability AND power output standpoint----and now, since you're changing the airflow parameters thru the engine, you'll have to figure it all out "from scratch", but WITHOUT the benefit of 10 trained engineers and all that test equipment and experience.

That's why we warn you that setting up a bike for pods can be quite a bit of trial-and-error procedure. You can make the calculations according to what is shown in that guideline and then order the jets that the "formula" recommends, and that should serve as a good STARTING POINT............you may (or may not!) have to do more tuning and trial-and-erroring substitution of different jet sizes, etc. to get it performing to you satisfaction, with the recognition that you may ALWAYS end up with a situation that has some kinds of trade-offs.....lazy at the lower end but runs well at mid/upper-ranges, or runs well at the lower end but a "flat-spot" at some other rpm range, etc. Unfortunately there is no magic formula........you might want to read through the factorypro.com article that I list at the end of that section, and you will get a better understanding of what is involved to get the carbs set-up properly in a non-stock configuration.

As one of our favorite experts says about pod filters: "Get a Rubik's Cube instead.....it's less trouble and actually has an eventual solution!"

xvadim likes this.
  16. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

Thank so much, a lot to take in very informative. I'll keep you posted.

17. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

My set up is 4 into 1 with 4 pod air filters,
    I'm now fitting airbox bodies to filters.
    I've discovered I have 116 main jets.
    Trying to figure out what standard main jets were to make comparison for changes. Do you think main jet is right.
    Thanks

18. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

When using air box bodies, do you have cut excess rubber to enable pod filters to fit.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

20. wkd1959

wkd1959 New Member

I've decided to revert back to standard airbox configuration but still have to use 4 into 1 exhaust due to original exhaust rotten through..but still getting flat spot at about 5ooo revs..it's been doing this with ever set up I've tried.. could this be the 4 into 1 exhaust, or something else I've overlooked..help needed.