1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Swingarms and driveshafts

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by loudjosh81, Sep 25, 2011.

1. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    Fitz. I will take your word for it. I looked at the parts schematic only long enough to determine that it was not a shaft drive.

Ghost

2. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

Here's mine- haven't given up, just hard to find time to work on it.

Attached Files:

3. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

Some of the newer vstars are belted. I thought all the old ones were shaft driven. I really wish that other that have messed with the rearends would chime in. This is more about getting all ideas into o

4. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

That is a sexy rear end brawler. I like the outcome so far. . Ive been keeping up on your build of it. Are you planning anything plasticwise or leaving it all naked

5. streetbrawler750

streetbrawler750 Member

No plastics, I want a very minimalist look. I am planning running a small fender on the swing arm, gonna re shape the old one I was running from an xs 650.

6. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

That sounds awesome! I can't wait to see it.

I like having minimal stuff, but it seems whenever I take something off, it causes 99098409485203498520349582049 other problems for me, hahah

I do think fenders are a bit neccessary though, rocks/rain/mud/bugs all hurt, and fenders make that a bit better

7. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

Ok, according to this, http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/yamaha_xj_900_1983.php the xj900 has a 120 rear tire, 18 inch rims and a 100 front tire 18 inch rims. Dual front discs and a rear disc. Nice sounding, and for people that want the same size tire front and back, here we go...not much as far as mods go....

Now, as far as compatability goes, http://myyamahaxj750.blogspot.com/2009/ ... story.html XJ650 Maxim (1980-83) and Midnight Maxim (1981) models. Note that all of the Yamaha XJ650, XJ700 non-X, XJ750, and XJ900 models share the same basic air-cooled, inline DOHC four-cylinder shaft drive 5 speed powerplant and driveline.

I think it would be a slick easy change, to go from mismatched tire sizes and rear drum to full disc operation and same sized tires front and back.

What about someone using a chain/drive from the xjr1300. I wonder about cases, or middle drive gears being compatabile interchangeable...Yamaha was smart building stuff, and liked to recycle parts between models, making it cheaper and quicker to get products out to the public

EDIT: I guess this article was originally posted on here... this is the link to it www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=14561.html

8. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

There's a guy who machines-up a few pieces that adapt a 16" Maxim rear rim to the front of XV's and XJ's so you can have "matching tires" on matching rims.
    Peep This
    And of course, older bikes like Fitz's Norton have matching tires,
    But -
    the tires then won't match the chassis dynamics, fork rake and trail, or shock valving - as engineered by Yamaha. Modern tires are designed for front OR rear fitment, and the tires that can be mounted on either end need to be reversed (see the arrows).

9. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

I think that if I were to use the tires from the xj900, nothing woudl have to be machined up...according to that article. the bikes are virtually the same thing...except for engine size....

I have seen a lot of the machined up wheels, I like them, a lot, but to have wheels that are supposed to be where they were designed for....I do know that when I was home this summer, and had to get tires for my seca the 18in front tire took some hunting to find....

10. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Hey guys,
    What if you took the XV750 rear swingarm and cut the mono shock supports off at the swingarm. Then, weld the support to the Xj750 swingarm in the same position? Use the diff from the XV750. And then take the XJ900 rear wheel assembly and make a bracket for the rear caliper to mount to the mono shock support. I'm thinking of going this route? What do you guys think? I'd appreciate the input!

Project Shadow Warrior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

This is my concept. Think the bracket will squeeze between the rear frame bars? We'll see. I found a few for around $40-60.

[​IMG]

12. Wrench26

Wrench26 Member

i will tell you one thing off the bat. the aluminum to steel will not work. but if you were to get it to bolt to the existing point and the other side it could work

13. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

You are totally right! That's why I would purchase a XV750 differential with the bracket for the swingarm to bolt to. I think they have the same internals?

14. saab900

saab900 New Member

What modifications were needed to make the R6 front forks fit?