1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Taking rust off chrome

Discussion in 'XJ DIY How-To Instructions' started by gman, Jul 14, 2011.

1. itom32

itom32 New Member

:D :D Ha,ha,haaa...It was regular coke!!I will leave the parts inside for tonight.Tomorrow i will brush again.I took these photos because i was too curius!!!

2. OldBikerDude

OldBikerDude Member

Thought I would mention this.....
    If it is light rust there is an old school way to get rid of it.
    I learned this in auto shop class when I was in high school and it does work.
    Go and get some aluminum foil and use it like sand paper.
    If the rust isn't deep then this will work for you.

3. itom32

itom32 New Member

Thank you Dude,for this information. This f.... crisis here in Greece will not let me easily buy items from ebay for exable.(Oxalic Acid).
    No money,no honey.So im looking for DIY ways to fix my bike.
    But I will not let it pass so easy.One way or another my XJ will rise again.[​IMG]

4. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Good luck with things itom....I like your spirit! Keep posting...we will assist where possible!

5. Magoo4u

Magoo4u New Member

Cleaned up some minor rust/corrosion using a tip I found (referenced above).

Aluminum foil dipped in water, worked great:

http://www.robertscycle.com/chrome-clean.html

"

In English

How it works

A common way to clean a rusted chrome surface such as a fender is to use a fine steel wool. However, when you use this method you have to use a lot of elbow grease and you still end up with a slightly dull surface with some amount of scratching not to mention the messy 'dust' left over from the steel wool. That's because you are physically scraping off the rust.
    When you use the aluminum foil method you are dissolving the rust chemically so you don't need to rub nearly as hard and since the aluminum foil is softer than the chrome, you are left with few if any scratches. This method also allows you to get the rust out of some minor pitting without having to dig into the surface.

The aluminum oxide that is created by friction when you rub the surface of the chrome leeches the rust away and when combined with the water you added creates it's own polishing compound so you end up with a clean, smooth, shiny surface."

6. 4ltern4te

4ltern4te Member

I did my carb hats in Coke, and scrubbed them with aluminum foil. It actually *erases* the rust, but does nothing for the pitting, so they're rust-free and shiny, but also pitted. YMMV ;)

7. kapo723

kapo723 Member

8. Beck

Beck Member

Has anybody used Naval Jelly as a rust remover?. I'm looking at doing rims and don't want to soak.

9. Brothastonebones

Brothastonebones New Member

SOS pads work awesome. Nevrdull also works very well.

10. Voxboy

Voxboy Member

I use Vanilla coke on my pipes. When they get hot...it smells like Im backing bread........Actually the whole Coke thing is making me rethink my craving for it.

11. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

That's s good thing to rethink, but not for any reason associated with cleaning chrome. The reason colas work is that they are mild acids (phosphoric acid being the most common type in colas). Your stomach acid is stronger (so I guess you could clean your pipes by vomiting on them if you can't afford to buy a coke).

Kickaha and Polock like this.
  12. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i'll give that a like

13. Unab8d_Ly4m

Unab8d_Ly4m New Member

My father and I use 0000 Steel Wool to get surface rust off chrome. Slides across it like glass when the rust is gone.
    [​IMG]

14. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

Four Ought 4/0, 0000, is great shite. it will also NOT scratch chrome or glass either. it is awesome for cleaning glass. been usin this for years. now for aluminum oxidation, i saw this hillybilly using Marvel Mystery Oil just wiping it on and instantly shining stuff like engine parts and wheels on youtube. that is my next purchase! it might work on rust but i don't know. but nobody should be without 0000 steel wool. caution, other grades, like 00, WILL scratch. do not use!

Winfield.kern likes this.
  15. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

0000 steel wool WILL scratch if you're too vigorous with it. I also highly recommend that you use a lubricant with it as well. My preferred cleaner/polish was the suzuki instant detailing spray, but of course--when something works well, the EPA doesn't like it and make a company stop making it. But i just use kroil now and then polish with a wax

16. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

the only thing i have scratched with 0000 is fake plastic chrome. i did go get the Mystery Oil tho and it works as well as that Coke demonstration. For parts you can't fit into a container of coke. I did just wipe it on and it works great. You can see the hillbilly fer yerself on youtube. I have used 0000 on freshly chromed bumpers, never left a mark. you must have had some kind of contaminant in the piece you were using is all i can think of. Never used any lube with it either. dont use on plastic of any kind. If you are worried about it try it somewhere not so noticeble. Since i'm on the subject, Goof Off will take the dye right out of your upholstery if you use it on say, a seat. At least the vinyl part.
    And, navel jelly does work too. And don't confuse rust with aluminum oxidation. Mystery Oil works on aluminum too tho.