1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Barzu Bike - XJ750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by barzu, Aug 18, 2009.

1. barzu

barzu Member

Mike, if you´re looking to do exhaust wrap, I can sent you the link to where I got mine from. These dudes sell 100lf for $50. Everywhere else I´ve seen it, exhaust wrap runs out $60-$70 for 50lf.

2. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

link would be good, how much did you use for your short pipes? I was thinking a could get away with a few 15ft 2" wide rolls....

3. barzu

barzu Member

4. barzu

barzu Member

So I took the carbs apart because Ear'z pilots came in (thx dude!) and the carbs look worse now then when I first cleaned them from the PO. Let me clarify, when I cleaned out the carbs, I also did a gas tank de-rust process.

Now obviously I did not rinse the tank properly because all the rust that got dislodged from the tank settled all throughout my carbs. I'm pretty hot about this right now. I got so stressed and pissed at myself that I had to go eat some chocolate chip cookies just to calm myself down.

It's whiskey time, here's to cleaning the carbs again, cuz I'm a douchebag and gunked them up all by myself :)

PS - I love Kroil!

I'm embarrased to post the pics, but hey, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one, poor me.

Attached Files:

5. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Wow - that bowl looks bad. Did you coat the inside of the tank after the de-rust? You may want to install 2 inline filters and run it for a while to catch any possible remaining rust. I would also encourage you to coat the tank if you have not done so.

Red Kote is your friend :)

6. barzu

barzu Member

Eearz, no, I just used an oil/gas mixture to coat it after I etched it. Any recommendations on inline filters? Something I can get at autozone or crap? I AM riding this bike tomorrow, even if I've gotta spend all night getting it ready.

7. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Any inline filter for your fuel hose size. I like the clear plastic with a brass colored stone thing in them, but any will do. Try to get something you can see thru to check for sediment.

8. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Also - shine a flashlight in your tank to check for rust.

9. barzu

barzu Member

Couple things:
    Earz, I have to redo the whole de rust process on my tank again. I swear to god it looks worse then when I cleaned it out the first time. You mentioned Lcoat before, do you use this? (for coating, I mean)

Next, I went to colortune the bike this morning (Motorduck, I sent you a PM) and the second I rigged the gas to the carbs and opened the valves, carbs 4 then 3 started spewing gasoline from the air filters.

I pulled the carbs and took them apart, found that the rubber stopper in the float pin of carb 4 was missing. Interesting, found the other piece in the assembly. It broke clean off. Very odd since I inspected all the parts before putting the carbs back together again.

I can tell you that what happened this morning is a good thing because about 30 minutes after this fiasco, my little girl got a fever of 103 and we had to take her to the doctor. So it's a good thing I ended up being "grounded" at home today by my XJ.

Chacal is in the loop and goods are on order.

So I got pissed again and chopped the shocks and lowered the bike about 2" or so :)

Thanks for listening to Galaxy News Radio!

P.S. Pouring straight muratic (hydrocloric) acid into a carb bowl to remove the rust is not a good idea. It looks like a good idea at first, until the acid starts boiling, heating up and bowl and eating up the aluminum. What an adventure!

10. Zookie400

Zookie400 Active Member

barzu i see you are stupid like me and decide to chop a bike during the riding season. so when we finish our rides, we need to organize a winter wonderland ride and see how our bikes do!!!

i wanted to do my exhaust like yours and crath's but i pussed out, my riding partners complain about one guy's D&D piped r6, so i figured i'd keep it somewhat muffled... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6Ayam_LBSc

hope your daughter is ok and on the mend!

11. barzu

barzu Member

Zookie, haha! I watched that video 2 months before I decided to buy a bike. Very cool exhaust. I love how you chopped it. As far as chopping up the bike mid season...I could not help myself. I had it for a week and could not hold back any longer. I'm down for a winter ride. More importantly, I'm getting a couple of dudes together for a ride down to Vegas this coming spring. If you're up for it, come along with us. Matter of fact, if anyone here is up for it, come along. It's gonna be crazy. We even have a dude coming from Jersey!

Thanks for the well wishes. Ava is good and all medicated up. She's eating well too, so clearly daddy over reacted. Naturally, of course, she's my little girl.

12. barzu

barzu Member

I bought a really sweet one at Auto Zone. $10. I would have bought two and put them in series on the line, but they only had one and I didn't feel like driving elsewhere to pick up another. If I need another, I'll pick it up.

13. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Wow dude, what a story. I hope all turns out well soon. Is your fuel bowl going to be ok after the muriatic acid episode? I really wanted to take my bike apart as well this summer, but decided to ride instead. I have been working hard like a squirel gathering nuts for the winter though. I have many goodies that I hope to install on my bike. I plan on removing the engine and painting it, polish, pods, rewiring, adn who knows.

I can't wait to her how your carbs turn out.

How many chocolate chip cookies did you end up eating to calm your self down?

I usually just make my self a fat steak on the grill to calm myself down. lol

14. barzu

barzu Member

Xulf, the carb bowl is okay. Discolored on the inside, but it's usable. It was crazy, the acid started boiling over and the bowl got super hot, I had to grab it with some pliers and run it outside. I expected a bit more action in the bowl then if you dilute it with water, but not that much. Thankfully I didn't burn off my face or anything, but my eyebrows are gone, HA!

I'm right there with you on the winter projects. I'll be pulling the engine to paint as well, along with trying to find some place local that can powder the frame flat black.

Zookie is right along with me here. I keep saying that I'll be riding soon, but there's always one more thing - and the occasional disaster. It's all part of the fun.

Chocolate chip cookies: 4. It's all about I can do in a row.

Steak sounds really good right about now...but I'm too comfy laying around drinking beer and watching the Indy race at Chicagoland speedway.

15. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

16. barzu

barzu Member

You're absolutely right. On the back brake drum, there's a little gauge that travels along a curved line and shows how far the brake gets activated when you depress the brake.

When I was testing the brake with the stock pedals, the gauge pointer traveled about 1/4 or an inch. Now that I've got the TC bros forward controls on it, the pointer only travels about half of that...which clearly explains why you and I have useless back brakes at the moment.

The plan: pick up a brake arm (one piece) from an '82 seca/maxim 650 on ebay. Cut it down to about 4" and drill the hole for the linkage rods.

The extra 2 1/2 inches in travel on the brake arm will provide enough leverage to make that pointer gauge travel 1/4 inch as before.

17. blisteredbrains

blisteredbrains Member

Dude, good job on the bike so far. Wondering what kind'a suspendable gas tank you're using in the video that you posted on the first page? That would come handy when tuning carbs. Let me know bro. Thanks

18. barzu

barzu Member

19. lowlifexj

lowlifexj Member

I thought of welding up the old brake lever and trying again too, then I thought about the time I really need that rear brake and the dam thing breaks at my weld 8O wouldn't be pretty I think you can find them on ebay for under 10 bucks.
    James

Hey for the aux. gas tank I use an old gear oil bottle with the nipple end on it and a screw stuck in the bottom.Your fuel line will push right on the nipple and then I just kinds wedge the bottle in to the frame upside down and remove the screw for air to flow into the bottle fuel flows out ex.ex.ex.
    worked good for checking floats and all, just remember to put the screw back in before tipping the bottle right side up. :)

20. blisteredbrains

blisteredbrains Member

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll check it out.