1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

The Barzu Bike - XJ750

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by barzu, Aug 18, 2009.

1. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Barzu, not sure if you got your carbs cleaned out yet. If not- you may check out this method
    Cheap soda blaster

2. barzu

barzu Member

Earz, they're all cleaned out. I do like the soda blaster though.

Time for an update. Carbs got cleaned out again. I installed the 40 pilot jets. Had serious leaking issues again, so I bench synched and adjusted the float levels to 13/16th from the BOWL (not gasket) to the LIP on the back (not hinged) part of the floats.

No leaks and the bike idles great, but still very rich. Crap.

I threw the colortune on it and cannot get the friggin flame to turn blue. My fuel mixture screws are turned all the way in, and I can almost get to blue, but not quite.

I turned out the idle adjustment thinking that if I turn that out and turn out the mixture screws a bit I might get there. No cigar.

Reading through the forums I came accross a post and Dpawl said that he had the same issue with the colortune and it turned out to be his pilot circuit that was clogged. Here's the thread: http://xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=1 ... screw.html

I can tell you honestly that I've overlooked the pilot circuit completely while cleaning the carbs. Why? I can't tell you b/c I don't know. What the crap?

Being that it's such a tiny opening, I bet it IS clogged, especially after seeing how gunked up the carbs were from the rust in the gas tank. I won't have that problem since I threw in an inline filter.

What do you fools think about this?

3. Mad_Bohemian

Mad_Bohemian Active Member

That looks pretty sweet!! Heck , I may rip my carbs off and hit 'em with that mini-blaster....just because I can.. :D

4. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Hey Barzu, any updates? Are you under the weather? come on man, I'm looking forward to your updates. :)

5. barzu

barzu Member

Xulf, my time, while waiting a whole day and a half to get Chacal's goods, was spent on taking the carbs apart NUMEROUS times to get the float levels right. I'm confident that I've got them perfect now. No leaks, and all the carb bowls get the same amount of fluid.

I also painted your risers black and put the drag bars on there. They look outstanding, BUT hit the gas tank. Not that big of a deal, but I won't address this issue until off season. When I do address the drag bar issue, I will also be swapping out my controls for components that are low profile. Including grips, brake/clutch, and electronic controls (turn, start, horn, etc) and finally get better mirrors.

On the task list for today is getting the carbs off ONE more time and cleaning the pilot circuit as I've overlooked this in my cleaning process, twice.

Once that's done, I'm slapping the colortune on and hopefully she'll be purring by this afternoon. Hell, I might even be able to ride her to my 4pm meeting... We'll see. Once she's all back together I'll take some pics and throw them up here.

6. xulf13

xulf13 Member

Wow, it sounds like you've been busy man. On My bike the choke lever would hit the tank. So I clipped the lever and just left a little knob that I could still use with my thumb when needed. They did make the controls pretty bulky on these bikes. I'm looking forward to the pictures.

7. mikegustus

mikegustus Member

Where were those risers originally purchased? I need some!

8. xulf13

xulf13 Member

9. barzu

barzu Member

Ok. The bike is back together. I still need to sand and put two more coats on the gas tank, but F that. I need to ride.

LEAN POPPING. That's what I get now. I turned her over and ran her idle and she ran really rich (black smoke) for about 5 minutes. Then it was like a switch flipped on and all four pipes were puffing white smoke and the bike sounds lean, to the point that cylinder 3 misfires sometimes as there seems not to be enough gas.

I checked the bowls on the carbs and they're full of fuel. There's an inline filter on the fuel so I know there's no debris getting in there.

I did take out the mixture screws and cleaned them off. But that's about it.

Initially, I set the fuel mixture screws to 2.75 turns out. The weird thing is that the bike switched to lean without me touching anything. While the bike was lean, I started turning out the carb 4 mixture screw. Got through a whole turn with no change in behavior...so I'm off to the forums to see if I can learn from others' woes.

If you've got two cents, I'll surely take it about now, plz.

10. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Did you bench synch them? Is your idle bolt between #2 & #3 backed off all the way? I found with mine that the center idle bolt was holding hte butterflys open enough that it didn't seem to matter what I did with the pilot screws.

11. barzu

barzu Member

Check and check. Yeah dude. I made sure that when I did the bench sync I had enough room to back out as well.

12. earz_cd

earz_cd Member

Barzu- I finally got my 650 dialed in after a lean issue. I followed the procedure I posted on page 4 of this thread. My mixture screws vary from 4 turns out to almost 8 turns out. 8 seemed excessive, but that's where it ran the best and I can still feel tension from the spring. Don't be afraid to back them out.

13. barzu

barzu Member

I love you man! I spent an hour looking for that info through the forums, I completely forgot that you quoted it in this thread.

I'll give this a go. Not till tomorrow though. I have a 4pm meeting and have to blow out of here by 3 :(

I'll post an update. Meanwhile, here's some pics of the bike assembled and ready to rock:

Attached Files:

14. xulf13

xulf13 Member

DUDE, you're bike is looking HOT, HOT, HOT. Man that looks sweet.

15. barzu

barzu Member

Thanks Xulf, I've got to get rid of that GOD UGLY center stand tomorrow morning. I didn't realize how bad it looks until I see it in the picture. It's like a third boob...does not belong :)

16. barzu

barzu Member

I'm done with upgrades and chops for the season. Once I tune it up tomorrow, that's it for me.

The plan for the winter is:
    Chop frame - solo seat (not sure hardtail/softail yet)
    Move choke and ignition, etc.
    Change headlight (bullet - black)
    Change speed controls (bullet - black - digital, maybe?
    Change mirror, mine are gay.
    Change grips, break, clutch bars...pretty much make that drag bar as simple and clean looking as possible without all that garbage on there.
    Rebuild MC, redo front forks
    Bring exhaust pipes out of the headers to flush with the back brake drum, over/under on each side like a shotgun. (it's gonna look sweet)
    ...aaaand a whole host of other things that you'll just have to see to believe...

Now, who wants to ride?

17. xulf13

xulf13 Member

LOL :) Very funny, you know what I do with mine while cruizin down the road? (a little trick I learned from lowriding)

I scrape mine and throw sparks!!

18. barzu

barzu Member

I read this in the car yesterday while on my way to the meeting. Cried laughing.

I told my bro since we're going riding today and he said "I'm leading."

19. barzu

barzu Member

Well dudes, I've re-cleaned the carbs AGAIN. Still cannot get the colortune to turn blue. I can turn the fuel mixture screws all the way in until they bottom out and the flame is still orange.

The bike idles perfectly fine, but as soon as you put it in gear and crank, it does nothing. Rides along slow and won't take off. My idle adjustment screw is almost all the way out too. 1050 rpms is no problem.

I know it's rich, but there does not seem to be any other way for me to cut the fuel out any more. Once the mixture screws are all the way down, that's it. The plugs are black after a ride around the block. This is BS. Crap.

20. barzu

barzu Member

this sucks....