1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Trokel's XJ900 thread - and other bike stuff

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by trokel, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

That looks like a great ride, at some point you were probably about 10 minutes from my place, I'm 1/2 an hour east from Cape Schanck. Did you go to Authurs Seat, the only bit of hilly curvy road nearby?

2. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

Plugs fresh?

3. trokel

trokel Member

Yes, we stopped in there for a quick look

No - Bought some new ones the other day but haven't fitted them yet. Hopefully I will get some time on the weekend to have a bit of a play with it.

4. trokel

trokel Member

Only a couple more days to go until the Broadford Bike Bonanza and i seem to have the XJ running spot on so i can't wait to get it out on the racetrack. But unlike last year, this time I will be trailering it down rather than riding it because this year i am taking a 2nd bike as well.
    For those who aren't familiar with the Broadford Bike Bonanza it is an event for motorbikes that are older than 25 years and has a number of tracks that comprises of the bitumen road race circuit, Enduro ,motorcross , trials and speedway tracks. So my plan this year was to buy a cheap old dirtbike to use on the enduro and motorcross tracks.

And here it is - An 84 model XR250R
    [​IMG]

It's a bit rough but seems to go alright and was in the price range that i was looking for so it should be a bit of fun.
    Well at least that was the plan until i stumbled across this and just couldn't pass it up. - An 86' model husky TE510
    [​IMG]

So this is what i will be taking this year and i reckon I am in for loads of fun.
    [​IMG]

Will post some more pics and maybe some video from the event when i return.

5. trokel

trokel Member

Well Broadfords done and dusted and i had a great time.
    Here's some photo's

Some of the bikes around the track
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And one of may favorites. I really like these colours on an XJ
    [​IMG]

6. adrian1

adrian1 Active Member

So how did the Xj's go?

7. trokel

trokel Member

Really good.
    Mine ran like a dream and was neck and neck for speed down the straight with the one pictured above but he was a lot better than me in the corners. Mine could do with some new rear shocks as it was wallowing a lot and a bit unstable in the rear when pushed hard.
    Gave the rear tyre a good work out though

[​IMG]

I found the Road bike intermediate group to be very busy this year. Seemed like there were too many slower bikes on track so on Sunday I moved to the expert group and in my first outing I only got passed by 2 bikes. One was the red XJ pictured above and the other I was told was Kevin Magee on a souped up Irving Vincent :D

8. trokel

trokel Member

Hi all :D

Been a while since I posted here as it seems that everytime i buy another bike i end up joining another forum and it is getting hard to find the time to post on them all.

But here is a summary what I have been up to lately.

Went to buy some spare parts for my XR and ended up with these.
    [​IMG]

Bought a bike trailer to fit all the bikes on when i take the kids out
    [​IMG]

Got the old XL going - finally
    [​IMG]

Took the kids out riding and introduced them to some mud and water
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then somewhere along the line I bought this as well
    [​IMG]

And as for the XJ,
    I took it for a spin with the missus a couple of weeks ago and after clearing a bit of stale fuel from the carb bowls it was running sweet in no time which i soon discovered when it stood up on the back wheel while taking off a bit too enthusiastically from our breakfast stop. 8O

9. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

Ha, I can just imagine the wife's reaction to that!
    I hope your as lucky as me and the wife is trusting,understanding and quick to forgive.
    Although as we have gotten older she seems to think the worst case scenario is the most likely,something to do with old bones maybe?
    Looks like you have great riding territory for the kids.

10. trokel

trokel Member

The deal i have with my missus is - every time I buy another bike she gets to buy a new dress. Not a bad deal is it? :D

And as of a few weeks ago she gets to buy another dress cause I just added this 76' Yamaha DT400 to the shed.

[​IMG]

Eventually I plan to do a restoration on it but for now the plan is to get it ride able and use it in some vinduros along with my 85' Husky TE510 and 83' XR250R. And the next one of those is Cookardinia in 2 weekends time so I have my work cut out but it is looking promising.

Here's a pic of the 510 at a recent event in Canowindra
    [​IMG]

Aside from that, XJ900 No.1 is currently out of rego but hopefully i will have it on club rego in a few weeks time and be able to take it for a spin once again. However with the collection of bikes that i now have and my change in focus to the offroad stuff as well as a lack of space I am thinking of parting with XJ900 No.2 but that is just a thought at this stage.

11. gunnabuild1

gunnabuild1 Member

It was the Wheelie I was referring to, mine freaks out when the car tyres chirp.
    On the bike I'm very aware she is quite nervous and I am literally as gentle as a lamb.The kids are growing and just a few more years and it will just be us,And I intend to be spending a lot of that free time on two wheels,it would be much more enjoyable to be able to do it together.
    She used to ride with me but as the kids grew it became more something I did rather than something we did together.Time to change that.
    Just have to get her relaxing again.