1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Tuning Issues and Questions (85 Xj700n)

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by JACK MONTELBANO, Apr 4, 2020.

1. JACK MONTELBANO

JACK MONTELBANO New Member

Hey All, I have been lurking here for a few months as I've been rebuilding this 85 Maxim 700 bobber that I picked up at the end of last riding season. At the time I picked it up it rode good, not not great.

I've finally gotten to a point where the bike is running really good, fires right up and idles beautifully. I finally took her for a ride today and she seems to stutter when quickly snapping open the throttle in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear. it will stutter (sounds like Chewbacca) but eventually gets through the rough patch and continues to accelerate.

I previously rebuilt the carburetors and went back to my order and noticed the jets that were included with the carb kit are slightly larger than stock at 110/40. I'm not sure if this is causing my issue or not as it seems to be starving for fuel if anything.

I also am suspecting the way I have routed my fuel line, also the fuel filter is awkwardly big and may not be allowing efficient fuel flow.

Here's what I've done,

-Cleaned the carbs (followed the guide here)
    -Rebuilt carbs with kits buy jets were slightly larger at 110/40 (stock is 107/36.5)
    -Dynamically set float levels and are 1mm beneath mating surface as per the manual.
    - bench synced the carbs
    -pilot screws are 1.5 turns out (am trying to get my hands on a colortune)
    - synced the carbs using carbtune

I know it's not popular opinion around here but would removing the airbox and adding pods offset the larger jets in the carb?

I included a picture of the bike and my fuel line routing. I can also provide pics or video of whatever's necessary.

Thanks guys! The forums been a big help already.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Mixture screws want to be at two and a half turns from a soft bottom not one and a half. Yes with pods you going to want to go up to bigger Jets so what you've done is not a problem as far as the jets go.
    You may want to consider getting an air box so you don't go through the headaches of what you have described put your pretty much what potting does until you go in and change the Jets and change the Jets and finally find that sweet spot that you are happy with. With pods they will always be a spot with a bike stutters it's due to the pods. Your writing style will depend upon if you're happy with the bike with pods on it. If you're a mellow Rider you can probably live with the pods. But if you like the top-end every now and then and the quick response to the throttle that may be needed from time to time. You might not get that with pods and it certainly won't be performing like a stock bike.
    I picked up a bike with pods play around with the Jets and it just never rode like my other bike which was the same model. Put the air box back in and I am much happier.

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

You want to get a sintered bronze fuel filter get rid of that paper thing those are known to cause issues with fuel flow. Throughout a few threads the Cuba part number that you can go to any auto parts store an order the filter with.