1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TURBOCHARGED MAXIM 650 BUILD

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by farmer, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Foolber

Foolber Member

awesome!

and ps, your snowmobile water videos are sweet! iv always wanted to do that! how deep is that water?

2. farmer

farmer Member

deep enough to have the water over the hood when you sink...

And.. that there was a snowmobile pulling a waterskier at 60 mph.

3. Foolber

Foolber Member

Yea that was the first one I watched! Then I couldn't resist watching a couple other ones.

4. farmer

farmer Member

long awaited update. First test ride was performed last night.. Bike made 3 psi in 1st gear with the VNT/wastegate not connected.

Wierd thing is that when the VNT vanes were fully closed it seemed that the motor was so choked out on the exhaust side that it couldnt even rev up in neutral... I didnt think this would happen. Thankfully there is a adjustable rod to limit the vane closed position.. I am going to open this a bit and see if it eliminates the choking out. When the vanes are fully open, the motor revs quiet freely.. and the sound is much louder too. With the vanes closed you can barely hear the motor running (at idle).

A video should follow soon. I need to add a blow off valve to the charge pipe now that i know its capable of making boost, and fab up the wategate solinoid mount. Then we should be good to go!

5. farmer

farmer Member

Well adjusting the vane stop appeared to do the trick. Still a bit of a bog but at least it spools up now. And does it ever spool. This thing is already slipping the clutch at part throttle in third. I'm getting 15 psi easily at part throttle in 2nd and 3rd

Here's a little teaser video to show spool in first gear. Unfortunately I don't have the electronic stock tach. If anyone has just the face and guts for an electronic tach ill buy it off you..

Spool in 1st
    http://youtu.be/l4qQ8hteNBw

Next up:

Get the waste gate actuator fabbed up, and probably a manual boost controller and better blow off valve. Enjoy the vid

6. farmer

farmer Member

Just some pictures of the build.

Soon soon a road video of boost through the gears.

if anyone also has an electronic tach face and guts to sell, that would help me out. This thing is spooling so quick. The VNT was a very good choice.

Attached Files:

7. farmer

farmer Member

8. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

9. farmer

farmer Member

drat... already ordered the ebc hd springs and plates. guess well see.

anyone have a electronic maxim tachometer they want to get rid of? Id like to get some video showing spool at various rpm in each gear to compare. all i need is the face and guts.
    Thanks

10. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

i have my whole cluster still i think but mine was driven off the cam with a cable

11. farmer

farmer Member

Next issues:

It looks like the turbo i chose is too efficient. It is a VNT off a Jetta TDI. At cruise i am making 2-3 psi I cant believe it, just maintaining speed.
    surely this cant be too good for fuel consumption.
    In first gear boost comes on at like 4-5000 rpm. This turbo is almost always in boost.! And it is a much bigger turbo than the stock seca one.
    My other issue is that it appears the vanes will not open up far enough, causing me to need to install a external wastegate. :(
    it wants to surpass 15 psi, but at this point above 15 i start getting spark blowout, or the bike sounds like it is misfiring. i havent cut down my plug electrodes, but i hear the fix is to install hotter coils.

anyways, just a small update.

12. jayo84

jayo84 Member

Thats pretty neat man!

13. XJturbo

XJturbo Member

When I had the spark blow out problem, I closed the gap on the plugs and also tried cutting down the electrodes.....also installed dynatek 3 ohm coils and nothing seemed to work 100% of the time. I switched back to the OEM coils because the dynatek's were making the tach bounce around. I then stumbled upon the solution. I was poking around with the voltmeter, and found I was losing almost 2 volts by the time the voltage got to the coils....so 2 volts were being lost through the wiring harness, connectors, stop switch etc....so I wired a simple relay so the coils get voltage (full 12v) directly from the battery and BAM! it has not spit or sputtered since, full 18+ psi boost all the way to redline without a hiccup! I'm running the stock turbo modified with a larger impeller wheel, thanks to a talented machinist on the tmioa forums. This mod should probably work for you also.

By the way, very nice workmanship on your build! I Love it!

14. farmer

farmer Member

is the voltage constant to the coils on one wire? i assume one is a signal to tell them when to fire? can this be measured with the key on and the bike off?

thanks

15. XJturbo

XJturbo Member

Yes, you are correct. Both coils have a constant 12v with the key on and this can be measured. Each coil has it's own signal wire, nothing changes with those. I ran a 10 gauge wire from the relay and then split it into two 10 gauge wires to feed each coil. I used one of the factory 12v supply wires to run back to the relay to turn it on with the key.....the other factory 12v wire I taped off. If your running dynatek coils it doesn't matter which screw you use, since they don't have any polarity. Hope this helps your problem.

16. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Farmer, did you get any dyno runs or run a quarter mile yet with your setup? Do you think you can run in the 10s with the turbo and a good clutch? I have a XJ900 engine and thinking of adding a turbo to it.

17. farmer

farmer Member

No. I know my clutch (ebc aftermaket discs and HD springs) is starting to slip at only 13psi.

Looks like I need to take a look at putting on the 6 spring maxim x clutch, and possible machine to accomodate another clutch friction disc or 2, similar to what XS650 owners have done.

18. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Thanks for the insight! In your opinion, what percent gain hp did you get? Was it night and day over stock? Thanks

19. farmer

farmer Member

with this turbo that can actually spool up in 1st gear, and the fact it is also making 5psi just cruising at 100km/h...

Yes night and day. Getting close to 100% more power im sure.

20. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Wow! 5psi at cruise sounds high? Don't you want boost on acceleration and no boost at cruise? I'm new to turbos, so I don't know? When the clutch problem is solved, will the U-joint hold out? It seemed like a weak point to me? Could have a drive shaft issue maybe too? I guess we'll have to test it to find out? Is the xj700 a direct swap or is there some modifying to make it fit? I'm learning a lot on here. Do you have a link by chance on that added friction plate mod? Thanks Farmer!