1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

TURBOCHARGED MAXIM 650 BUILD

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by farmer, Sep 23, 2009.

1. farmer

farmer Member

2. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

That would be a really awesome clutch! With the modification to clutch having the banshee lockup, what happens to the placement of the push lever axle? I'm sure that the clutch cover would not fit and would have to be modified? Would this heavy of a clutch need to be converted to a hydraulic or can you still use the cable?

On the boost, can you use a boost controller to reduce the unwanted boost @cruise? I have a microsquirt that has a boost controller program built-in. I'm still learning about how it works, but I won't need an external one for mine. I'll just need a solenoid in between the microsquirt & turbo.

I understand that the turbo's oil return is by gravity. It must be returning to the oil pan turbo mount, but where did you tap from for the oil input to the turbo?

3. farmer

farmer Member

the clutch cover would need to be modded with a spacer plate, and the pushrod lengthened.
    not sure about extra effort, but im sure a hydraulic conversion could also be done.
    the boost controller can only raise boost, not lower it. if you had an electronic servo opening up the vnt wastegate at cruise then you could get rid of the boost during cruise.
    you wont have this problem with a regular turbo.

the turbo seca motor has an additional oil scavenge pump as the stock turbo was lower than the oil supply. Mine is front mounted and higher, but i still use this pump/return.

I used the factory feed line to the turbo, just made some stainless lines for it.

4. farmer

farmer Member

Well, 6 spring clutch from a maxim x ordered off ebay. lets see if one extra spring will hold 11 psi without giving out.

Attached Files:

5. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

This very cool! I'm very interested to see how this works out. Are you going to do the extra disc mod? Is this a direct swap or is there some fabrication involved?

6. farmer

farmer Member

i shall know more once the clutch arrives. thinking i just run it with heavy springs and see what happens. If the clutch pull is too crazy, or it still cant hold it then see if an extra disc can be added. Finally, once it slips that on goes the lockup :) I would like to get it running 20psi if the compressor is big enough for it..

7. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Man bro, That's a lot of boost! Are you going to run race fuel to prevent pre-detention? I heard after 15 psi it gets scary on pump gas. You have balls doing that on a carb setup! Would you say these engines are on the same par as the oil-cooled GSXR engines of the 80's as far as durability and strength goes? A lot of guys turbo those bikes because they are bullet-proof. I'm debating whether to use a gt1548, gt2052 w/ 48 trim, or a Borgwarner K03-2072, K03-2075? What are the specs on your turbo? I'm shooting for 150 hp right now and that puts me around 11 psi roughly.

[​IMG]

8. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

hello guys some of you know of my turbo/fuelinjected build on here just want to put some input in here. On my setup i have fuel and timing control to make these engines last and to make the most power you need timing control i run 9psi on my bike with a 13g turbo and its great planning on hitting the dyno this year to see what it puts out right now it will beat a gsxr 600 light to light i say light to light because these bikes dont go fast lol mine revs to 10k and tops out at 127mph.

the reason the clutch is slipping is because the turbo is spooled up way to fast either open the vanes on the turbo or change it out for a bigger one being spooled up that soon puts more stress on everything you want the turbo in the powerband on the n/a engine. mine has full boost by 6k or so witch really helps traction and it pulls all the way to redline.

I am willing to help anyone with there projects if you need or have a question then pm me.

9. farmer

farmer Member

The turbo is the gt1749v, looks to be a 49mm compressor wheel and 44mm exhaust wheel. Boost by 5 grand in 1st gear.

I dont think the clutch is slipping due to spooling too soon, if i gradually ease into it it will still slip once i hammer it.

regarding the timing and fuel control, yes i agree with you, right now i get a bog and afr goes to 10.0 which is really rich when I hammer it from down low. I plan to convert to microsquirt this winter, care to share your spark and fueling maps?
    Also, what did you do about a detonation sensor?

10. Isaacson06

Isaacson06 Member

hell ya man ill help both of you guys with your microsquirt i hated setting mine up do to the support forums sucked when you guys are ready i could give you my phone number and you guys can just call if you have questions but please when you go to do it please try and use the same parts i have to make tuning easier for me and you. i can get yours very close just over the web.

FYI A little background on myself ive been tuning efi turbo and n/a for 6-7years in cars also own and operate a fabrication business here in iowa on the side and work full time at the biggest hot rod shop in iowa as a fabricator and on Saturdays i dyno tune at a friends import shop.

11. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

Hey Farmer, any luck with your clutch conversion? Did it hold up?

12. farmer

farmer Member

its in the mail. should have a result next week. I assume it should hold about 15psi.
    how about you, get a turbo yet? Take a look at the gt2052v

13. skylrk62

skylrk62 Active Member

I talked to the guys at Mr.Turbo. They recommended the gt2056 turbo. My goal is 150 horsepower and building from there. The smaller turbos seemed a little restrictive and the gt2056 spools around 5500 and hits full boost at 6500-6800 rpm. I wanted the 2259, but I think it might lag too much? I like the external wastegate option on 2259. I'll have to fabricate the 2056 to use an external.

14. farmer

farmer Member

it looks like there are several variations of the gt20 series with VNT, even gt22's...

i don't see why you wouldnt want to go with a VNT turbo of the same size. spool will be that much sooner, and the smile on your face that much bigger.
    Ive also modified the vnt actuator to work properly with a vaccum line, essentially reverse on its mount so that the vanes are normally closed, then run vaccum to the top port to open the vanes in vaccum, and tap the bottom for boost pressure to open them during boost. base boost i am seeing 9 psi right now.

thread on turbos:
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.ph ... 093&page=2

15. farmer

farmer Member