1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Univeral Ebay Digital Gauge Support Thread

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Praxeus, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

So I thought I would start a thread for everyone using a universal digital gauge on the XJ bikes. This thread is specifically about the unit being sold under various names on eBay and Amazon (see the attached image). This gauge is generally considered to be a cheap knockoff or copy of an Acewell unit. After my bad experience splurging for a beautiful chrome Acewell 4553 guage last year, and subsequently watching it fail before my eyes and being unable to fine ANY tech support either from the company or from scouring the internet (presumbably because Acewell is infallible????) I decided screw trying to make the darn thing work, and I ordered one of these babies...

Mine doesn't arrive for another week, but the wiring diagram is available on various forums and there are many youtube videos about this particular model. I do not foresee any installation difficulties, but I thought this could be the place where people who have used this gauge or have any questions about it, could post. I'll be doing followups as I progress to installation.

Attached Files:

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

3. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

That is a great thread and resource. Different gauge though. I started installing it the other day using the attached wiring diagrams. I haven’t got the neutral light working yet. There is a discrepancy between the new and “old” versions of this unit. Some say white/yellow is neutral and others red/green. Also there is no purple wire lol.

Attached Files:

4. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

By the way this is the state of my headlight bucket at present. I’ve had to remove some of the chunky connectors to fit my led headlight and bulb. And this is with the LH controls already connected, soldered, and heatshrunk.

Attached Files:

5. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

One more thing: here is the Izztoss gauge (you gotta love the catchy name) powering up. (The video has the wrong extension so it wouldn’t upload.)

Attached Files:

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

And now you know why there is no existing thread for any "Universal" gauge.
    No such thing exists.
    The wiring color choices can be different even when buying from the same manfacturer (particularly when dealing with knockoffs).

Praxeus likes this.
  7. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Well, I agree that it’s not a plug n play device, but it is still “universal” in that it can be made to fit with modification for nearly any motorcycle. My hope is that this thread can be of use to other members who want to roll the dice on something inexpensive. This wasn’t supposed to happen to me since I bought an Acewell to avoid all this crap, but it was defective, and the company hasn’t been helping me resolve the issue. So here I am.

LafayetteConey and k-moe like this.
  8. XJ550H

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  9. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

10. XJ550H

should be able to do that for most of the lights. oil light if you bike did not have an Atari set up. those oil switches go to off when oil gets low

Most Maxims have the on when low oil switch

Praxeus likes this.
  11. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Honestly should have just stuck with stock. But it will all be worth it in the end, hopefully. Still bitter that the expensive Acewell was a dud grrrrrrrrr

12. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Today I grounded out the unlabelled wires to determine their function on the gauge. Worked like a charm! Then, I buttoned up the headlight bucket for the first time in months. I only need to work out a mount for it.

13. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I have the same gauge on my CB750. Once I got past the challenge of finding out which version gauge I had, it was easy to hook up. There are a couple versions of this gauge and the wiring lay out changes between the models.
    YouTube was my savior for leads on install and other information. There are dozens of posts to get info from but not all of it is correct. Be careful of what info you choose to use. Some of the videos are also of frustrated people venting their hate regarding the gauge.
    After installing the gauge the next challenge will be programming it to function correctly with your specific bike. I messed with the calibration of the speedo multiple times before getting it somewhat accurate. I'm off by a few MPH, big deal.
    The fuel gauge will need an inline 10 ohm resistor to function correctly.
    Also if your bike has a miss at idle your tachometer is hooked up wrong. Go to the TCI ignitor for the tach signal not the coils.
    Overall, I'm happy with the gauge as it functions now and it looks pretty cool as well. I was expecting junk when it was delivered but it's actually an alright gauge.
    Its unfortunate that any and most all install information is non-existent.
    This is a perfect example of getting what you pay for....

20161220_082151.jpg

Praxeus likes this.
  14. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

Thank you, this is great information. I was noticing that about the different versions. Mine has the lettering light up white when powered on. I have not yet found the diagram for my version that explains which wire connects to the tach function. The incorrect Iztoss “manuals” that users are generously posting state to use the black/purple wire, which mine does not have. I don’t recall which one I temporarily connected (bike isn’t running yet until my valve job is done and buttoned back up). Does yours have a black/purple wire?

15. Praxeus

Praxeus Member

I forgot to mention that my XJ650 has an XJ750 tank with the fuel sender which I hope will work with the 100 ohm resistance of the gauge. Worst case it will be reversed. I’ve got the fuel sender I might as well try to get it to work :D

16. spacetiger110

spacetiger110 Member

Electrical was never my thing and, as such, I've avoided it most of my life. I plan on installing this same gauge in the near future, so I looked on Amazon for 10 ohm resistor and they come for various wattages. Which wattage is the correct one?

17. XJ550H

any will work , I would get a 1 or 2 watt because the body is bigger and less likely to break

18. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

I believe it does have the black/purple wire. It's been a couple years since I installed it and a few projects ago. Based on the image of your gauge, our gauges are similar in design. As far as the wiring, I'm not sure.
    I'll do some digging to see what I can find. I'm sure something is out there that will help you out.

Your correct....
    The resistor can be located pretty much anywhere its convenient for you to install. I have mine in the headlight bucket.

19. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Screenshot_20190313-200101_Chrome.jpg
    This is what I had saved in my CB750 info files. Not the greatest wiring diagram and the text at the bottom is supposed to be the programming info.
    Challenging.
    Yep.
    The black/purple wire is labeled as the RPM wire. If your other wire colors are the same within same style connectors, as shown, then hopefully this will help.
    If not, Google "ebay digital speedometer wiring diagram" then pull up the search result images. There are numerous similar wiring diagrams that should help.

You've came this far.
    Don't let this thing beat you.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  20. LarryMc

LarryMc Active Member

Once you get your gauge wired, do the same search on Youtube for multiple walk throughs on programming your gauge.
    Programming is yet another challenge but once everything is ironed out you'll find it was worth it.

You've got this....