1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Unknown idle issues

Discussion in 'Reviews - Service, Online, Retail Shop' started by WarriorX2, Feb 15, 2023.

1. WarriorX2

WarriorX2 New Member

Hello,
    I purchased a 1982 yamaha xj750 seca and it used quite a bit. It has a really high idle at 3-4k rpms. I originally had no idea what I was doing as this is my first bike. I cleaned the carbs completely and it hardly fixed it and I started fiddling with the syncing screws and that helped a bit, but I changed the oil and the idle shot back up to 4k rpms and it was sluggish.
    I did a lot more research and got a carb rebuild kit, a syncing kit and new intake boots and gaskets. I rebuilt the carbs and replaced the intake boots and gaskets. That really helped, however while trying to sync the carbs, the idle would jump between 1-4k rpms. I expected the jump, however when I was able to get it to idle around 1k rpms, I would shut it off and take a break, but when I tried to start it up again it would have a really hard time and then the idle would jump back up to around 2,500 rpms.
    I haven't touched the bike I'm a while as it became cold. I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track or not. I also interested in any advice as I haven't found anyone with this problem.