1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Using copper fuel line? and leather side covers

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by AMCWood, Jun 19, 2008.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

I think your PVC Manifold is brilliant. If you are able to match the area of the Stock Airbox to your set-up ... you might find yourself being able to get the usual problems associated with multiple Pods solved and be able to do some fine tuning.

Protect your Intellectual Property.
    This is the kind of Idea others take and run with.
    Copyright and Patent Pending your ideas and designs.

Copper is pretty when shined and polished.
    I don't think I'd use the Glass Fuel Filter.

Unless you are into Nostalgia rather than Performance.
    Those glass filters leak.
    They're 1950's technology.
    Cute; but hazardous.

Rather than have it loosen and leak ... I'd depend on a 20th Century Model that can't come apart!

I'm serious about protecting your Intellectual Property.
    There are "Good Idea Thieves" surfing for an Idea like this.
    Now that I have seen a good prototype ... I can imagine two or three ways to restrict the Intake Air to Stock Cubic Feet per Minute.

2. dustball

dustball Member

I think this might just save the problems i been having!! great idea... can you tell me what u used for the boots from the pvc to the carbs... i'll go to home depot tomorrow to get my bike on the road.. thank you

3. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

i thought about doing something like that for my intake... can you post what pvc parts you used? everything looks killer btw

4. moguy

moguy Member

LOL's & points ^ at the other posts.

it is a good idea i had thought about doing this but i was concerned at max temp that the PVC my begin to soften or even melt.

as for the guy asking about copper why not use Stainless Steel it could match your motor.

5. wizard

wizard Active Member

hi andrew, why don't you take the inlet pipe right to the back of the bike, jazz it up with the pod on the tail? wiz.

6. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

I never even thought of that. Once I get my seat mounted(another problem all it own) I will give that a shot. Thanks
    I will also take a look at the parts I used and post them In a day or two.

7. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

I used 1&1/4" pipe. Two 90s, One T, and One 4 way. I had to cut about 1/2" off them where pieces touch each other since the carbs ar so close together.
    Sorry its kind of vague If you dont get it pm me and Ill try to clear anything up.
    Thanks
    Andrew

8. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

or you could build another one and have the air cleaner come out the side (like a v twin) you would get alot more air that way.

9. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You don't WANT a lot more air.

You want JUST ENOUGH Air.

The Carbs are dialed in to a specific Cubic Feet per Minute.
    When you exceed that ... you are going to be Lean and need to ReJet

10. kciv

kciv New Member

I thought about folding up a small metal box. Cutting four holes the same size and spacing as the original air box. Using the same boots. Cutting a hole for the crankcase breather. Cut a hole and attach the pod.

This is a fake drawing (not to scale).

Attached Files:

• mano.jpg
      mano.jpg
      File size:
      4.5 KB
      Views:
  11. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

That looks pretty sweet. Id like to see pics if you do it.
    Thanks
    Andrew

12. Deathmetaldan

Deathmetaldan Member

considering its only one intake for the 4 carbs it should be pretty close shouldnt it?

13. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

does it tune properly like this? Im not so interested in pods for style or performance but I've been toying with the idea of cuting the front half of my air box off to turn the filter part in to storage/tool box area with some hinges and perhaps a small relocation of the fuse box but i have no desire to rejet!
    Shaun

14. rnice

rnice Member

Brilliant.

What did you use for the rubber boot from carb to PVC?

15. Don_A

Don_A Member

That intake manifold looks like the hot tip! I've always liked the look of pods but decided against it due to all the reading I've done here. (no performance increase, need to rejet, hard to tune...) I might try this when I get to my XJ750 project.

AMC- have you been riding the bike like this? How's it running and holding up? Nice job on the leather side covers, too.

16. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

One caution, guys, please: there is a reason they quit using solid copper fuel line (or solid ANYTHING line) on motorcycles: It can and will fracture after prolonged exposure to vibration. YOU DO NOT WANT a fuel line cracking and dousing you with gas while riding down the highway.

Copper fuel lines LOOK cool, admittedly. They have NO PLACE on a street bike unless it is purely a show bike and not actually being ridden in traffic at road speeds for any period of time.

XJs are not Triumphs or Harleys, but they DO vibrate; it's a high-frequency vibration WE don't really notice but believe me copper fuel line will. I HONESTLY DON'T THINK THIS (copper fuel lines) IS A GOOD IDEA.
    Please give this a little more thorough thought before accidentally immolating yourself.

17. AMCWood

AMCWood Member

Don_A
    Ive been riding this bike since last year. It rides just like it used to but you get a cold air intake suction sound when you hit the throttle. Just a little mental hp, just like speed holes or racing stripes. I might make another intake where it sticks out the side pointing the cone air filter forward. For now Im gonna stick with the one I have.

rnice
    The rubber boots were found in the plumbing section of home depot. I believe they are actually made to work with pvc parts. They are just rubber pvc couplers. Mine actually came with metal covers and work quite well.

bigfitz52
    you are absolutely right it was nice while I had it but I put the rubber fuel line back on. I dont want any highway immolating to the motorcycle gods.

Thanks all for the comments and questions. Keep em coming if you got em

18. flash1259

flash1259 Member

19. Awalker19

Awalker19 Member

I was thinking about doing the intake with stainless but am a little unsure how to get them all connected. Any ideas?

20. johntc

johntc Member

I like your intake mod, must make removing and installing the carbs a lot easier!
    Having grown up on a farm the old steel tractor seat brings back a lot of memories but I can gaurantee you, about 14 hours on one of those and you'll never want to see it again.