1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

VF700J interceptor issue

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by bullheimer, Apr 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

yeah, that was replaced. tank looks rust free and i've drained it once already. that little breather tube was clear too. i guess i'm supposed to check my intake valves and maybe clean them but the stems dont need it. i haven't looked down at the backs of the valves yet.

2. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

B-12 chem tool and compressed air seems to work well for carbon imho. I spray it in there on TDC with plug out, let it sit for a while, take a rag and cover the plug hole and it the hole with compressed air. It will take the carbon off piston as well. Getting the carbon off the valves I do with chems in the gas while it is running.

3. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

pouring water it the carbs at high idle does the same thing for the pistons.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

seafoam will do that too.

5. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

Well how are things going with the bike? Looking forward to the next post and pics...

6. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

oh last week i spent $40 sending them off to texas to get rebuilt. just waiting for them to get back. haven't done squat. i guess i can check the spark without them right? trouble is, when it's nice i'm doing something, when it's crappy i dont think of it. plus i'm not really thinking about it but i should be. thanks for asking, i WILL keep you up to date. oh i forgot about the PB Blaster, i'll do that asap.

7. Ben Hinz

Ben Hinz Member

I have an 85 VF700F interceptor and rebuilt my carbs last year with a kit from billysoutback. Just keep in mind that when you get those carbs back and go to put them in, be very careful and patient or you will wreck those boots, especially if they haven't been replaced. You're going to want to take the boots half off and at an angle so that when you go to push the carbs back on, it'll go on a little easier and minimize the risk of damaging the boots. I ended up having to use a strap to hold the front carbs down while I pushed down on the rear ones. Also, if you try to put the carbs on without that aluminum intake manifold bolted on, you will break all of the plastic fuel tubes . I had a friend gradually tighten the strap while I pushed and they eventually fell into place. It was a pain and I hope I never have to take them off ever again. However, rebuilding those carbs fixed a ton of issues for me and it has been like a brand new bike ever since so hopefully you have the same luck.

8. bullheimer

bullheimer Member

F+*k, sounds intimidating as hell. thanks so much for the advice. i sent them the carbs with the air intake still bolted on, so hopefully it comes back the same way. i still have to get out my pb blaster. just been so busy, i havent quit working