1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

what carb differences are there?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jdavid, Jul 15, 2020.

1. jdavid

jdavid New Member

I have a XJ750J 82 Maxim yics I need to replace the rt side end carb body, the air fuel thread is stripped out, my carbs have only one fuel transfer tube between all the carbs, I just bought a rack supposedly from a xj750 everything is same except there are 2 transfer tubes between all the bodies, one is straight, like mine, but they have Ts in between also, I only have a T for the main fuel inlet between 1&2. What are those from,do, and how do I plug it to work in my rack? Also a ? that has bugged me non relevance, here goes, don't mean to offend BUT, everywhere and I do mean everywhere with how to remove rear wheel/tire, NEVER in ANY blogs,video, repair manuals, ETC DOES ANY OF YOU JERKS MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU HAVE TO LOOSEN THE EXHAUST TO GET THE AXEL BOLT OUT! OR DO I HAVE A ONE OF A KIND?!?!?

2. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

Jerks?
    You probably have non-OEM shocks that moved the axle behind the silencer

3. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Ok, First thing— you’re lucky ANYONE is gonna even consider helping you with a post such as that.

1. rear axle..... is your exhaust original? You shouldnt have to loosen it. Is your bike on the center stand? That should allow the rear to drop far enough. If not, consider unhooking the bottoms of the shocks instead. (Are your shocks original?) that should give you the necessary clearance.

2. carbs..... you got the wrong carbs—. Sounds like you got ones for 85/86 xj700/xj750

dfox

4. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

i don't think i ever heard anyone say to put you foot down at a red light either

hogfiddles likes this.
  5. hogfiddles

:D:D:D

6. jdavid

jdavid New Member

it all looks stock to me yes I tried shock bolts, yes on centerstand of course, unless the PO changed something I cant believe it is never mentioned in repair manuals nor anywhere else, you just have to loosen the bolts to get it to drop down enough to pull bolt axel out, thanks I think I have the wrong year of carbs also,as far as jerks I didn't mean literally just a FOS.

oS

7. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

so why not buy the #4 carb body? your going to dissemble the carbs to replace fuel rail o rings and throttleshaft seals.

FSM manuals are writen for trained mechanics, they leave out some of the details the avarage person would like/need writen in the manual. Haynes does give a little more help.

8. Rusty81

Rusty81 Member

The other T’s are vents that go to lines that run down behind transmission. Vent tubes. Same carbs on my 700. Hitachi 33 carbs

9. jdavid

jdavid New Member

thank you so much for your replies and help, I have not been able to find just the one carb body, and im not qualified to resynch these carbs if I separate them I see/understand itsabitch

10. jdavid

jdavid New Member

fact now is ive bought 3 differeny sets of carbs now and they've either been wrong or damaged and not rebuildable, I also have a 83 MK920XV and a 82 XV920, I want to sell all 3 and try to find my dream bike an 85 or 86 700 MAXIM X. THEE baddassbestest bike ever made under 1000cc! hey I made a new word. !

11. hogfiddles

Simply check with Len Chacal at xj4ever. Contact him at: info@xj4ever.com

those carbs were on all 650 and 750 airhead models from 80-83 with minor differences. You’ll need to let him know whether you need one with the fine-thread or coarse-thread mixture screw.