1. Some members were not receiving emails sent from XJbikes.com. For example: "Forgot your password?" function to reset your password would not send email to some members. I believe this has been resolved now. Please use "Contact Us" form (see page footer link) if you still have email issues. SnoSheriff

    Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What determines battery replacement sizes?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Timetonut, Nov 22, 2007.

  1. Timetonut

    Timetonut Member

    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    I am about to look into getting a Die Hard battery for my 550 and am not finding one that matches up with the dimensions that I think are correct for it.

    I believe that the 550 battery should be 5.28x3.15x6.3 (LxWxH) but from what I looked at, inches weren't mentioned as the increment of measure. All the Die Hard 14 series don't match up to that so...while I am with family and I have an offer to have my Xmas gift be a battery, what size should I lean towards considering I can't look at my bike to match it up?

    Thanks,

    Jonathan
     
  2. ArizonaSteve

    ArizonaSteve Member

    Messages:
    678
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Phoenix, AZ
    The size you need is determined by the space you have to mount it in so take a ruler or tape with you to the store. I wouldn't buy an expensive Die Hard if it's an old fashioned lead acid type though, try to get one of the new sealed zero maintenance batteries if you can, they are less mess and they last longer. You don't have to get an expensive brand for that either, they are the same kind used in UPS and battery backup units. They also list the size in inches so you can pick one that fits.
     
  3. rhys

    rhys Member

    Messages:
    419
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Columbia, MO
    I've seen four things that matter:

    1) Size and shape (physical dimensions)
    2) terminal placement
    3) terminal type
    4) cold cranking amps

    The first two really need to be the same as the stock battery. It's no good if you find a sealed battery that's the same size, but the + and - terminals are on the opposite sides. The terminal type isn't as big a deal, since you can clip off the ends and re-attach a different lead if you like. Cold cranking amps just need to be the same or greater than the stock battery. It won't actually push more amps, but it needs to be capable of that demand. More CCA = better cold starts and more starting attempts without having to recharge.

    Sealed is arguably better than a "wet" battery. It's a lot like the "manual vs. automatic" argument in a cage. Do you want it done for you, or do you want to be able to fiddle with it? Sealed is more expensive, but less trouble.
     
  4. PSteele

    PSteele Member

    Messages:
    344
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Location:
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Put as big a battery as will fit and go with the new gel series. They have lots of power and reserve and none of the mess and terminal corrosion problems that the others have. Terminal placement is the other key and must match your + - configuration. My 650 has a 20amp crammed in and it has been oh so wonderful!
     
  5. Timetonut

    Timetonut Member

    Messages:
    165
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    18
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks for the tips so far, my window of milking my Dad for the battery was closed by naps after lunch. Hard to get a lot done with over blessings of food and soft arm chairs. When I get home I will measure and purchase a sealed one. The terminals weren't something I would have thought of. That is a great pointer that must have been learned the hard way by someone.

    Thanks,

    Jon
     

Share This Page