1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Just finished putting on the new chain and sprockets. Man that makes a world of difference!

+1 to satisfaction factor

2. BillB

BillB Active Member

Just in today: 12 Volt air compressor and tire repair plugs.

I threw them in the front bag. ( I dont want to get stranded )

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Uncovered it.
    Was going to try to start it.
    The Battery Tender died.
    No juice.

I'll be trying to get it going this weekend.
    I need to push some Oil through it.

4. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Put twenty miles on it after work. Longest ride with it so far. Still working out the kinks, gotta add fork seals, fork oil change, and possibly new springs to the list. Might as well change the front pads while I've got her apart.

5. macros10

macros10 Member

JameyP, I have the same problem, old lady gets pissed seeing my grease-monkey a** running back and forth from computer room to garage, think I'm gonna get an old laptop and use it wireless from the garage so I can keep up on all the posts and be able to pull up all the great instructional ones, lol, we'll see.

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Get the Lap Top.
    Add a Web Cam.
    I got a New MAC with FILE Sharing / Show & Tell / iChat Video Conf.

I'll do "Live Help" and amuse you while you get dirty.

[​IMG]

7. Kracket

Kracket Member

Drained the syn. oil overnight... went to the store and got cas. 4 stroke motorcycle oil... tryed to start it and it wound down on me again... took batery off took starter off and headed to Good old Dad for help... he looked at the starter tore it apart and nothing was wrong with it. checked the voltage of the battery.. 11.3 and stuck it on a trick charger... 5 hours later it reads full... voltage now is 13.6 on what is suposed to be a 12v battery... went home stuck everything back in and cranked it over.. it wanted to fier up the first crank then nothing just turned over... so tomarrow i am pulling the sparkpluges getting new ones and getting more gas...FUN TIMES...

8. RoadRash

RoadRash Member

What did I do you my Tammie, today? Well, nothing, so far, but several days ago, I had a total brain fart while getting ready to swap in new rear shocks and springs, unlatched the rear ratchet straps on my bike table while leaving the front 2 on. Of course, I forgot that since the backs were off, the front ones would go slack, and while I was bent down to the right of the bike, the whole bike and table went over on the LEFT side. I the bike was at less than 45 degrees when it caught my eye, so there was nothing I could do but watch it go over.

Fortunately, I had an old dining room table and my table saw in close proximity to the bike, so they both kinda caught the bike while it was almost parallel to the ground, about a foot or 2 away from it. I had to jump onto the severely tilted bike table, grab the right handlebar and backbend to counter the weight, jump off right before the bike table legs landed, and then stop the bike from shifting and going over on the right side. I have a detached garage, so the wife and kids were all warm and cozy in the house, without realizing what Dad was going through. Not a fun experience! I STILL can't figure out how I got hurt OR the bike suffered any damage to it. Only thing I found was a superficial scuff to the fresh paint on the tank, but I haven't even wet sanded it yet, so it'll go away.

That's what I get for forgetting to muscle it onto the center stand after undoing the rear straps!

9. Kracket

Kracket Member

well i was going to post a video of my bike running.. but my phone wont let me upload it... anyway here is what i did to my bike today....

took spark plugs off got new ones filled tank with better gas...
    cranked it once nothing 2 times 3rd time i held the button down for a whole 30sec- a min and it finally started... its not idling at 5k rpm anymore yay... still running rough though so I got to get the intake to carb boots… and sync them

10. macros10

macros10 Member

Replaced original fuse box with aftermarket box and accessories from XJ4ever, thanks Chacal! It was kind of a pain trying to work it all out, but like most things, now that I've done it, it would be WAY easier the second time, lol.

11. macros10

macros10 Member

Pulled off carbs, what a job! No, not too bad, I followed mlew and a few others posts about how to do it and it only took about 20-30 minutes, and some of that was sitting back thinking about it, lol. Got them off, waiting for some parts, now what? Should I start cleaning them one at a time? Also, can you drain each carb to get the fuel out one at a time or do they share all the fuel in them? I'll post some pics to show you the 600 dollar carb cleaning that the po had done, lol, maybe it's just me. Is that gel looking stuff around the float and gasket what gas looks like when it gets old? Or could that be some rtv type gasket stuff in there, any thoughts?

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n49 ... G00275.jpg
    http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n49 ... G00279.jpg
    http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n49 ... G00281.jpg
    http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n49 ... G00283.jpg

[​IMG]

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Pic is a bit on the blurry side, tough to see what we're looking at.

On the question of "what did I do to my yamaha today"--

I put a replacement handlebar cover on my XJ900rk #2, I got the master cylinder open by drilling out one of the screws. Now I have a pile of powder to clean up from the top of the diaphragm, and a pile of brown rubbery balls at the bottom of the the MC. Then I can replace the window, and get to rebuilding it. Nice original turnsignals were installed last week but still need one more to finish that job.

Dave Fox

Dave

13. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Installed a new rear fender, new gas tank lock, and some new-old footpegs though I think I'm going to reinstall the old one's as I like them better w/ the spring release.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. pooreman

pooreman New Member

Wired up and mounted me new headlight to my 93 XJ600. I like it so much better.

Attached Files:

15. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Pooreman... Would love to see some pics of this put back together.... was wondering about switching headlights and would be interested in your final product

16. pooreman

pooreman New Member

This is the only other pic I took.

Wiring wasn't very difficult. The brackets are universal and are almost too small. My turn signals aren't perfect and I thought about leaving them off but they are whats holding the headlight on so it works out well. Need a warm day so I can test all these winter projects out. Gas tank needs to be repainted but I can't spend any more money on it this winter. I've done enough!

Attached Files:

17. headhunter1213

headhunter1213 Member

Took the bike on its maiden voyage to my girlfriends house and found out real quick where my regular tank ends and my reserve starts.pushing up an 8th mile hill is no fun. First ride ever for me and had absolutely no problems except for the cold(40 degrees) but dropped my phone leaving her house. She saved it and i got a set of her dads old soft saddlebags for free.Plan to ride it to school tomorrow in 36 degree weather.I swear its an addiction

18. macros10

macros10 Member

Did my first "hopefully" successful clear-tube fuel level test and then my first bench sync of the butterflies. This is too fun! lol I really appreciate all the great info you members have provided for all of us to make our bikes worthy of what they are supposed to be. Thanks!

Mac

19. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

Lubed the cables, changed the oil, played with my new rear stand,

throttle cables were a b*tch

Washed it and oiled the chain

Then a victory ride!!!!

[​IMG]

20. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Ran the wiring the correct way for the new headlight, fixed front fork shaft seal, checked oil, tire pressure, and brake fluid, topped off the tank, went for a 50 mile ride.