1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. RangerG

RangerG Member

Installed the new fuel petcock that I ordered a couple months ago. Plates will be renewed tomorrow then I can go for a ride after work. :)

2. Erman

Erman Member

- Oil and filter change
    - Cleaned exhaust headers and repasted them into collector box
    - Cleand carb-to-engine manifolds
    - Discovered fuel leak from the V-rings at linkage

Odin dammit

3. ken007

ken007 Member

gday, changed engine oil and filter, new clutch cover gasket then changed the diff oil, discovered a screw in back tyre so went to get new tyre(old one worn down to wear thingos)then got rear ended (lucky i was in my car) by a van, now car will be in the panel beaters for a week, shouldnt have changed my oil,could be worse i guess.

4. zap2504

zap2504 Member

Took my second set of Atari gauges apart to sand and paint the rusted steel gauge dividers. Used rust-converting flat black. Also painted the faded tach and speedo pointers with Testors gloss enamel orange (#1127) model paint. Will install two red 5-led assemblies for general gauge illumination when I reassemble.

5. Metabolic

Metabolic Member

- installed new battery
    - found out that replacement blinker unit I bought only works with a fresh battery
    - reinstalled tank
    - cranked her for the first time since January and let her spin a bit
    - drilled out broken bolt from rear drum brake pinch bolt (I snapped it because I had no torque wrench at the time)
    - replaced bolt

- tomorrow I have to renew the insurance/registration and take it for a test ride on the new tires

6. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

That washer seems to be a pretty commonly lost part. Found it was missing last time I did an oil change too.... Not sure whether I lost it that time, or the time before, or if it was already missing before that. Nice thing was it was easy enough to make a suitable one in the mini lathe.

7. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Rode it to work and back, and to lunch and back, then, later...

Washed the engine with some Foamy Engine Brite and the garden hose. Then installed a new valve cover gasket and donuts. However, the LF hold down bolt wouldn't reach torque (7.2lb-ft), so I may have to have that cover back off again in the near future for some Helicoil work.

Also tightened up the exhaust header nuts - one pair of which was quite loose and I had noticed some blow-by noise there.

8. RSpark

RSpark Member

I dropped my Yamaha off at a local shop. For 335 The carburetors will be completely cleaned/rebuilt and the clutch will be replaced. :D I was going to do these things myself but it would have taken far to long, and I have the itch to ride. All I have left to do is buy two new tires and it will be 100% road worthy again.

9. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I'm just about done with a carb rebuild for an xj650 maxim. Just for fun, and for my own knowledge base ( and so I face the carb demon square in the face) I decided to do a COMPLETE carb set teardown and cleaning. I mean COMPLETE.....not a single piece was connected to another by the time I got it all part (except for the diaphragms still connected to the slides). Every single piece was cleaned, every port and hole cleaned, even the tiny screws as best as could be. It's now back together and ready for bench syncing---Actually, it was pretty fun, I have pulled up a second rack to do next.

Dave Fox

10. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Ordered some new tires (Dunlop 501's). Currently have K591's. Back one is down to the wear limits and both are about 12 years old.

11. mrtim123

mrtim123 Member

hmmm, what did i do to my xj900 today? wiped brake fluid off the entire bike due to a front master cylinder that decided to start leaking mid ride :(

on the plus side, it gives me an excuse to put the R1 master cyl on in its place!

12. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Stop teasing us 750R guys. ;-)

13. mrtim123

mrtim123 Member

:lol: i'll report back when its done

14. mrtim123

mrtim123 Member

bought a brand new Hyosung master cylinder instead of an unknown quality used R1 master cyl. almost the same price - and bike stops real good now :)

15. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Disassembled for some final painting, and rear brakes.... did the throttle shaft seals last night. Hopefully gonna put the rack back together + bench sync tonightt

16. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

New front brakes and rear brake shoes!

17. JameyP

JameyP Member

Assembled my homemade manometer and synced the carbs. They were very close, just a little tweaking needed since I bench synced them while I had them off. Put the tank and beauty trim back on and went for a short ride to make sure everything was working as it should. Finally the bike idles and has the throttle response again that it had when I first bought it! Looking forward to tomorrow afternoon so I can put some miles on.

18. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Took it to the tire shop and got the new Dunlap 501's installed.

Also enriched the warm up curve a bit and switched (again) back to just TPS accel enrichment. The result feels darn near perfect.

Attached Files:

19. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Pulled the front calipers off to check the pads. Thought I was going to have to put new pads on the shopping list, sandpaper and brake parts cleaner instead.

20. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Checked the calendar and realized i still have a roughly 22 day wait for exhaust to show up :(

Might take the 400 on a little back road drive tho ;)