1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

New Battery.

Started LED Accent Lights.

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

yesterday fork seals. They were leaking, and the fork caps were nast rusted in. Took a torch and beating upside down on a wood block to get them out. New progressive springs. Today after dinner, caliper rebuilt and new stainless brake lines, pads and m/c. Old lines were stamped 11/80 :oops:

3. a2zcustomupholstery

a2zcustomupholstery Member

I added a tail light and all most done with the seat!!!

Attached Files:

4. iandmac

iandmac Member

Pulled the engine on the 900, took a whole case of beer and two of us to lift it out ... went to take the swing arm off the frame and discovered my 27mm socket has disappeared.

5. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

Garage gnomes...

Lapped the valves with a little finer compound. Waiting on stem seals, but I got the head gasket today! Ohh so close...

[​IMG]

6. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Thought about my exhaust... then cried a little.. hopefully tomorrow...

;)

7. andrewlong

andrewlong Member

:p

[​IMG]

8. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

LOL ty!

;)

9. iandmac

iandmac Member

Removed swing arm, forks and triples, degreased the frame and got ready for blasting ... still a bit of grime on it though, thinking I might take it to the car wash for a pressure clean before blasting ... the least bit of grease really slows that blasting down

10. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

I was always pumped whenever I got to clean a frame and get to work on putting it back together....

My bike got tons of new stuff ordered for it today, and when I get back from Korea (to the states) I'll be able to start hacking it together...

11. 13alxj

13alxj New Member

Aligned front wheel/forks
    Adjusted headlight
    Checked all lights
    Tomorrow.... Vermont state safety inspection

12. Metabolic

Metabolic Member

Filled front brake reservoir, cleaned engine to identify oil leak (I did, holy crap! Leak in the bottom of the case draining directly onto the exhaust and burning up without hitting the ground!), ran it with a full oil load after replacing what was lost (more than I'd like to admit), cleaned air filter, found loose battery cables causing intermittent ignition failures at stoplights.

13. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Got in a new Hella Halogen conversion kit, $8.99 incl. shipping from ebay. Installed in the time it took to take the headlight apart and put it on again. I'm gonna have to leave earlier tomorrow morning so I can test it out!

Also, I've been having some electrical gremlins with my turn signal, the right side doesn't seem to pass enough voltage to close the flasher. Went through all the connections, cleaned the switch (and figured out how it worked in the process), and finally got it to work by rearranging the bulbs...seems the 1156LL's dont' want to work in my right side. The problem comes and goes, maybe now it will go for a lot longer.

14. prince_albert3

prince_albert3 Member

A few days ago, the day the site went down, I upgraded the fuse box. Went quick and painless. Very easy upgrade. I suggest everyone do it!

15. iandmac

iandmac Member

Cleaned up the 900 frame, chased the threaded holes, taped and masked a few things, nearly ready to blast, won't fit in my cabinet so I'm sending it out, lots of good shops nearby who do a good job. Just wondering which particular brand of gloss black I'm going to use, I like the Dulux baked enamel finishes and they are easy to maintain so I'm thinking that's the go.

16. loudjosh81

loudjosh81 Member

Ordered almost 400$ worth of stuff from ebay and amazon .... getting excited for june 24th and showing my wife how much fun riding truly is :)

17. Militant_Buddhist

Militant_Buddhist Member

last weekend bolted on some 40mm ammo cans and went for a ride over the cascades. noted poor handling due to too much weight too far back. in Leavenworth had a yard sale and put as much weight as I could stuff into my tankbag, moved any remaining heavy-ish stuff forward in the cans and stuffed clothing etc in place aft. Brought handling back to decent.
    THIS weekend, fabbed some new mounting hardware, popped a new hole or three in the cans and moved them about 7" forward. Loaded them intentionally poorly, carrying weight in the cans as far BACK as it would go and went for a spin through some local twisties. Handles ok so it should be real good with just a scrap of care taken when loading. Also noted bottom of right side can gets mighty warm from exhaust so "hard" items will live there. Wrenches and the like. Packed for touring I imagine my wool shirt and cookware will go in that side too.
    They hold a TON, don't weigh a heck of a lot empty, are AIR TIGHT, and make an awesome strap down point for addition gear (tent, bedroll).

On the agenda is to put on some flushmount blinkers on the outside corners of the cans, mount accommodations for padlocks and maybe some additional luggage hooks. then take the whole business apart and rattle can them black to match my rattle can bike, or maybe rattle can the bike OD green, haven't decided.

MIGHT have to relocate one more time. The first time I was trying to maintain passenger accommodation. That went out the window when I realized cargo weight OR a passenger were acceptable but not both. Now it's too close to tell by eye whether once I get deep and hard into a corner if my pegs scrape (ok) or if I catch a corner of the can (not ok).

Definitely putting the tourer in my "rat tourer"

18. 82XJTurbo

82XJTurbo Member

Changed the oil and got the carbs back on the Turbo and fired it up. Smoked like a Cheech and Chong movie for about 10 min then cleared up. The turbo likes to ooze a little oil from the seals if it sits too long. Not worth the cost of replacement IMHO. Next step is to finish repairing all the cracks in the body work and repaint. Then it's off to the local shop for sale.

19. Newguy31

Newguy31 New Member

Replaced the 29 year old rear brake shoes on my Maxim (Thanks OldBikerDude and son!), and ordered a bunch of parts from Len! We're gonna dig in again this weekend (replacing carb to head manifolds, checking valve clearances, carb sync and tune, petcock rebuild all in the near future).

20. iandmac

iandmac Member

Hey Militant Buddhist, that's some serious load you are designing for there ... how big are the guns you are planning to bolt to the handlebars ? My idea of "touring pack" is a change of undies and a toothbrush, oh plus the girlfriend's suitcase, which when I think about it, maybe I should be getting that sidecar ...