1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. xj_mark

xj_mark New Member

Dry and Wet measured the carb floats- Check
    Got it running again- sounded good, seemed smooth.
    Took a ride around the block... it was still revving to 5000 and slowly coming down.

So I thought to myself, " Self, this might be a vacuum leak."
    So I set up and checked with CarbTune.
    Not too bad, but 3 and 4 were higher than 1 and 2 so I adjusted and things seemed to even out, but the idle was still finicky and kept revving high.

After a quick beer and some thought, I realized that all those readings were erroneous since the YICS tool was not in place (Aha!)

So I inserted the YICS tool, quickly to realize that it seemed a bit sticky and in an epiphany moment of Holy $h!# I quickly removed the tool to find that I had melted it.

The short drive around the block and all the futsing with the CarbTune and the idle had heated up the engine too hot. (I think I read about that somewhere...)

Alas, I learned a lot and made some headway.

Len is gonna love me...

2. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

I replaced the choke cable... and figured out why she was shorting out, and has been unrideable for the last few days...

3. BonezOz

BonezOz New Member

Lost a mirror on the freeway last night on the way home, just rattled off it's post, leaving the actual mirror mounting hardware

4. Alysiak00

Alysiak00 Member

wow, thats rough. I had a hard time trying to take off my mirror with my own effort and even soaked it in pb blaster overnight. I ended up using a cutoff wheel and chopped it off lol

[​IMG]

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

You do realize that the right hand mirror on these bikes is reverse threaded, right? That it unscrews in the "wrong direction?"

The locknut has "nicks" in the corners between its flats that the other side doesn't have. Notched flats like that are the universal symbol for "reverse threaded, beware." The right-hand mirror unscrews clockwise.

6. doc2029

doc2029 Member

New in line fuel filter installed! I had no idea how long the old one had been there, so I decided to replace it.

7. bobbytheblack

bobbytheblack Member

drag bars ;-)

8. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Installed my new valve shims! She sounds much better now for a test spin to see how she rides!

9. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

Installed Vista Cruise throttle lock, new gas tank, fuel filter, sensor & petcock o-rings, sync'd, aired up the forks, polished the rear brake backing plate, detailed....and some other things I can't remember.

All in preparation for the Rice o Rama in Mass. on Sunday.

10. skw1972

skw1972 Member

brught her finally to life for the first time since...just touch the starter. Id list what all I did but isn't there a word amount limit? easier to say resurection rebuild with some customizing fab work- Seca Cruiser?

11. gman

gman Member

Contemplated setting it afire and hauling it's burned out carcass to the scrap yard to watch it be crushed. While I laugh with manic glee.

Outside of that pulled the carbs again to find out why the number 1 carb still leaks gas after a rebuild and the appropriate adjustments.
    I have lost count the number of times I have pulled the carbs.

Pardon the vent, Not a good day with the bike. Someone remind me this is suppose to be fun.

12. PTSenterprises

PTSenterprises Member

swapped out my final drive. Discovered a broken shaft. Might be was was making the noise on deceleration. Doing a 240Mile ride tomorrow. Hope she holds up against the modern sportbikes Im going with.

13. Jackncoke

Jackncoke Member

Cleaned and put some new parts in carbs. New spark plugs. Oil change and filter. Charged battery. Cleaned gas tank and petcock. Lubed her up, been a little over a year since she has ran.

Had a fun time with an impact screwdriver getting out and *fixing* carb drain plug screws. (luckily they have plenty of thread that is not used, extended flat head biting space that will work for now ~ghetto til i can order some more screws).

Have the fun task tomorrow of several installs and removal of carbs until i get floats set right, but I am looking forward to the experience/work.

First time messing with the carbs besides getting them in synch ~ hopefully I got em good enough!

Only wishing I had more $$$ to spend on my bike, been a while since I've had her running and I want to do so much more.

14. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Installed a spitfire wind screen! What a world of difference that makes!

15. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I was honestly thinking about that this morning, sailing down the freeway in completely unblustered comfort at 80, with no windshield. It's really about riding position. If you have a windshield it's not so important any more.

Doc, you got your badges stuck on? 3M to the rescue?

Oh, sorry. Rode mine, 122 miles; put gas in it. Got wet for a minute.

16. doc2029

doc2029 Member

Took your advice and found the tape at Autozone and used it. They are on the bike and look pretty good, so yeah 3M to the rescue!

As for riding position with the stock bars I just couldn't find anything that really worked for me at 75 + MPH. And I was tired of getting knocked around by the wind so I got a screen.

17. ifonly2005

ifonly2005 Member

i started her up and rode her :) didnt have time to diddle with anything, and she didnt ask for anything special..... so we enjoyed the beautiful 70 degree summer day!

18. PTSenterprises

PTSenterprises Member

today I reinstalled the factory rear rack that the tour pack panniers and trunk mount to. Prepped the trunk for matching paint. Yesterdays long ride made me realize how nice it would have been to have some hard luggage on the bike.

I also changed out my gauge bulbs for red 194's. Going to try that for now, but I think some brighter LED's might be in order.

19. xj_mark

xj_mark New Member

Changed the oil and the plugs on one bike.
    Changed the plugs, checked valve clearances, polished the vacuum piston and bore, changed float heights, vacuum synched. Still a pain in my ass.
    But I'm getting closer. :)

Looking from the top into the bore, it looks like the jet at the top of the emulsion tube is corroded and may be part of the problem...

Do I need to have the YICS tool in place to Colortune?

My guess would be yes, so that each carb is isolated, but just checking...

20. skw1972

skw1972 Member

pulled my front wheel, checked bearings and they seem fine but Ill probably change them any way. painting the lower part of my forks now.
    other than that I bought a little chinese flywing 100 dirtbike for my youngest son. 50 bucks and loaded it up. we pulled the carb and cleaned it, put in a new plug and kicked it over a few times and it came to life.
    he put it in gear the front came up and removed most of the rear fender.
    After a good laugh ( me laughing, him looking like a deer in the headlights)
    he got it going and soon after my front yard had couple of ruts but I got a happy kid. we'll get another fender later.