1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

sprayed the vht gray primer on the cylinders for my Maxim X build. Just put a pic on my gallery if interested.

BlueBass, your side cover is on the way! I ran out of tape, so had to get some more. It went out priority mail this afternoon.

Dave F

2. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Thanks Dave! I sadly did nothing with my XJ today. Work did not permit progress beyond letting my engine side cover paint cure.

3. Timmay

Timmay Member

I pulled off my exhaust system and boy, that collector needs sanding and painting! Pulled off the valve cover and pulled all the shims and checked. Pulled apart turn signal switch and TRIED to re-lube it but it's really siezed up and requires more force than springs can release to work :(

4. Erman

Erman Member

Started sandblasting exterior of the lower crankcase housing.
    Can't seem to get the crankshaft loose from upper housing. Any tips?

5. slowboattochina

slowboattochina Member

Cleaned, polished, and detailed front wheel. Aluminum looks factory fresh now. Forks w/ news seals and springs are almost ready to go back on.

6. NigeW

NigeW Member

Fired er up again... after a couple of weeks standing (and the past 5 days sat on the Optimiser). Caught on third attempt, after knocking choke down to about 75%. stayed with her for a couple of minutes and reduced choke a little at a time. After three mins or so, a lovely steady idle of around 1050rpm without choke. Revs up and settles back down to idle perfectly. Feeling lucky - next time could be different!

7. NigeW

NigeW Member

PS. Decided to start the Bonnie too. (Not been on optimiser, but recent "dry" battery installed). Started on FIRST kick! 20 seconds on choke and then a steady idle at 1000rpm without it. Brilliant - a little bit of oil smoke when revved, but hey - WTH?

8. hogfiddles

Sprayed the vht gloss black on the cylinders for my maxim X today.....will take a pic a post it in a day or so when I get the chance.

Non-xj work......got the brand new stator into the 78 goldwing engine, and now the engine is back in the frame. Time to start figuring out where all those wires go again............

Dave Fox

9. Davidkal

Davidkal Member

I put the carbs back on ,,, RODE IT for the first time then decided that the tank needed more work so i took it off sanded it down again,,,, applied filler where needed and its in primer again...a good day http://youtu.be/JsMBjYSq2Ew

10. sgio

sgio Member

Today I changed the fork oil. I put in 15 wt. The old oil was nice and clean and I know it had been changed by someone in the past since one of the springs was in upside down. :roll:
    Some PB blaster on the caps, still wouldn't loosen the left side. Then I remembered a tip here to loosen the upper clamps. That did the trick. I used a bar clamp and a socket to press the cap in (once I knew it was loose). That made getting the spring clip out easy.
    Putting the front wheel on is a PIA. You have to hold the spacer and seedometer drive in, line up the rotor in the brake caliper and slide in the axle. I would be easier if I had a couple more hands! :lol:

11. JameyP

JameyP Member

Changed the oil and filter. Tried to fire it up to check for oil pressure, leaks, etc. Found gas pouring from the carbs.....AGAIN!!!! @$#%@$$% CARBS! I guess it's time to get kits and take them down again. Hey Chacal.......HELP!

12. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Ordered my new Dyna Coils, plug wires, caps, and all associated hardware necessary to upgrade/repair my ignition system.

Pulled the head and scraped the gaskets off. Inspected pistons and rings, all good. Cam chain guides and tensioner in good shape.

This week I'll paint the upper parts of the engine and reinstall with fresh gaskets and a new ignition system.

13. autosdafe

autosdafe Member

Moved her to the side to make room for the car to do tie rods. Would.much rather work on the bike.

14. Erman

Erman Member

Yesterday, I finished fabricating a bigger blasting cabinet. Improvements from last time (several revisions were made) are glass sighting window, arm sleeves, rubber insulation along the lid, filtered fan to suck the dust out, LED lighting inside.
    Not much bike related, but the blasting cabinet will allow me to finish soda blasting the parts needed, while waiting for parts to put her together.

15. xj550

xj550 Member

I finished up installing new stainless front brake lines. With a newly rebuilt MC and calipers I can't wait for spring to come!

16. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Degreased my engine head and jugs. Thoroughly cleaned them, rinsed, and applied a fresh coat of ceramic enamel paint.

Got confirmation from Chacal of shipment of my new head gasket and coils and I expect they will arrive Wednesday or Thursday.

17. hogfiddles

Just posted pics of the MaximX-from-scratch freshly-painted cylinders in my gallery.

Dave F

18. Dannymax

Dannymax Member

Just finishing a winter long project that included rebuilding the master cylinder & brake calipers, install new OEM brake pads, Galfer S/S lines & DOT 4 fluid. Rebuild forks and install progressive springs & 10wt Maxima fork oil. Rebuild carbs and do valve lash check/adjust. Purchase & install new OEM tank (matching paint) from Yamaha....new OEM parts....handlebars, clutch & throttle cables, brake & clutch levers, generator cover, clutch lever perch & t'stat. Mounted/balanced a pair of Dunlop 404's, removed OEM mirrors replaced w/Gen-II V Max ones.

Just finishing up polishing the silver cooling fins on the heads and rear brake backing plate.

19. rizla900

rizla900 New Member

fitted a yamfz600 twin headlight fairing with night breaker bulbs its made riding at night a joy agaian

20. BluesBass

BluesBass Member

Got my Dyna Coils, plug ends, caps, wires, and head gasket kit in the mail from Chacal today. Spent the evening reassembling the engine and installing my coils.

Cleaned up some paint chips on the frame, re-bench sync'ed my carbs, put them back on the bike, got everything back together and ready to fire up and fine tune tomorrow.