1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Changed the oil and filter, dumped a third of a can of seafoam in the 2/3 full tank, and went for a nice 100km ride! Ran like a dream. Funny what new oil will do for these old girls :)

2. RookieRider

RookieRider Member

I cleaned the gauges as they where making a high pitched whirling sound...
    I used Fitz' write up as a guide, although i did this on my xs400j.
    The cluster is slightly different but not enough that i was overwhelmed.
    I should of taken some pictures. :(

3. jbounds

jbounds Member

I took my bike for its first Inspection as the new owner and it failed... :cry: So I brought it back home and pulled the forks off for the replacement of the fork seals, pulled my fuel tank and fenders to get repainted by a buddy, and ordered a master cylinder rebuild kit....I feel like I accomplished something today...kinda...lol 8)

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

bounds...........here's a trick. IF you failed only because of leaky fork seals:

Wipe off the rings and top of the lower forks, and the tube really well at home. Clean and polish them. Now, throw a clean cotton rag into your pocket. Go back down to the station. When you get off you bike, wipe the tops of the lower forks, tube, etc..... wherever any fork oil shows up. Make sure it's nice and dry. NOW go in and ask for a re-inspection. If that works, then at least you can legally be on the road, but you still need to get the seals replaced.

Now, if you failed for some OTHER reason, guess you gotta get it fixed first

5. hogfiddles

What did I do to my Yammy today? I rode it to work (xj700 - airhead: now pseudo-bob #2). This is the first long outing with the new rear fender configuration. I'll have to take a pic for you this weekend.

I modified a Harley Bobtail rear fender, and rewired it so that the harley tail light/brake light that is on the underneath of the fender works. with the yamaha wiring..

Next

6. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Hogfiddles - PICTURES!!!!!

I haven't done anything to my yamaha yet today, but after I finish my coffee... the engine is coming out! This is gonna determine if i have a parts bike or a project bike....

7. Erman

Erman Member

Trying to mold a front fender in fiberglass... Looks pretty good at the moment

8. dcesa1

dcesa1 Member

Fabricated some battery covers and sat in disgust because I still cant get it to run right!!

9. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Nice 95 deg day here, took a ride to cool off and thought to myself how nice this bike runs. I'm tellin ya there is nothin sweeter than an good running XJ.

MN

10. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

put about 40 miles on this morning to waste some time until my new suspension came in the mail. got the new progressive hd 412's installed on the back and took it for a 2 mile spin to get a feel of them, huge improvement. Tomorrow hopefully I will get the front redone.

11. hogfiddles

took the 750 midnight maxim out for about 40 mi last evening. Chased down a hot air balloon. There's a guy about 20 mi from here who has the business, and we often spot him. When we do, we always chase him down and help him load it back into the chase vehicles. Done that about two dozen times now, and it's become kind of a game.....he watches for us now:)

The Midnight will not be with me much longer, at the end of the month it is going to a forum member who will be doing a restoration on it.

Dave F

12. mook1al

mook1al Member

Repainted the wheels metallic grey. After the paint cures, I will polish the machined spoke faces and outer rim edges back to a nice shiny glow.

13. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Fill the tank. Point the front end towards Grand Bend. When I get there, point it south and see where it takes me :)

14. hogfiddles

Went for a few more rides......

OK.....Milliken (and anyone else who wanted to see it)----I have now put a couple pics of the pseudo-bob #2 in my gallery. It's the deep red 700 sitting in the grass with the chrome harley rear fender. Check it out. Next step is to complete the forwards and get them hooked up.

Dave Fox

15. thomasbradley

thomasbradley New Member

I just put some of Len's braided steel brake lines on my XJ650RJ last night, looks good so far. Still need to rebuild the master cylinder and calipers later this week before I go try it out.

16. SuperSparr

SuperSparr New Member

Scratch my head looking at it. Wondering why in the heck this thing will not run right. Then I cursed at it and joined this site.

17. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Pulled the tank off to clean the wiring harness connectors under the tank (apparently I wasn't thorough enough last spring) yay reliable horn again, and got some of the old old old caked on crud off the head in the spark plug area.

Some other little cleaning jobs, put her back together and go for a shirt ride me thinks.

18. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Took the center stand off -- atleast for the summer season -- that damned thing weighs 3 LBS!!! -- Need an AM of titanium (lol) that weighs 12 ozs please?

I'll put it back on for winter storage

So far I've removed about 13lbs or so of OEM stuf by careful replacement -- Light is Beautiful (and feels oh so good too)

19. Erman

Erman Member

FINALLY started to put together the bike. Center+side stand are in, as well as triple T and crown, and bars with bar mount MC and handles.

Bit of a challenge to get the RH controls....

20. fintip

fintip Member

Replaced the steering head bearings, replaced the valve cover gasket--after my shim adjustment, whereupon I discovered I had the wrong gasket, I was forced to reuse the old one.

And so was getting oil on my pants. Lots of oil. It was ridiculous. I mean, I only had to add half a quart after 4 or 5 days, once, and then the correct gasket had arrived, but I had to wear "oil jeans" and old sneakers everytime I rode, bring some spare pants and change upon arrival wherever I went. Glad to have that done.

The bike came with a notch in the middle. I had gotten used to it, convinced myself it was fine.

Holy cow.

It wasn't fine.

THIS is fine. I feel like I'm carving ice on this thing now.