1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

New tires!!!!

2. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

got tired of the wobble in the shifter lever, took it off and bored it round again removed the pin from the cover, made it round again. made a brass bushing, pressed it in the lever and now it only goes up and down, not all around

3. Erman

Erman Member

Got done more on the engine. Middle and final drive are in. So is the clutch with all new plates and springs. Working on casting a new front mudguard in fibre glass...

4. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

5. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Brought home an 82 xj750 maxim to the stable

6. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

You need a 12 step program... You're addicted

7. hogfiddles

Oh, I already have more than 12. Just sent two to Michigan last night, one of them is/was my Midnight Maxim xj750 that will undergo a complete restoration with probably some special things. This is another list member so it will be interesting to see how it comes out.

Dave F

8. Yammadof

Yammadof Member

Went for my first solo ride in 30 years...last time I rode was in 1982 - an XS1100 in Germany.

9. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

Congratulations that is great news

10. Toastmoofin

Toastmoofin New Member

Broke it :cry:
    Last night, I learned not to ride while tired. I lost grip and dropped it trying leaving work. Didn't even make it out of the parking lot! Had to force it home with jammed brakes:/
    Today though, I got the broken brake pedal welded and front brakes un-jammed! Now to just find where to get good engine covers and almost an entire exhaust system on a teenager budget. Any ideas?

11. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

Sorry Toast. thats a bummer. Ebay, put up a wanted ad here, XJ4ever.

@Dmccoach....Some questions.
    Did you polish that all in one sitting??
    What did you use to remove the laquer from everything?
    How do you clean the casted surfaces??
    Thanks.
    btw, Thats one very fine specimen you've got there. I love the shocks and the original maxim logos look real good over the yellow. Ours were scraped during painting.

Pulled apart master cylinder and caliper to inspect and prep for new seals. Sanded and painted MC with Black krylon. great results..Just hope I dont get brake fluid on it now! Also inspected front brake lines and thanks to Chacals store realized they are the original lines dated 10/81 from japan with zinc plated banjos!!! Yup 31yrs old and ya couldnt tell by just looking at em.

Just pulled apart the right controls to try and fix or jerry rig the start switch. Wish I had some plastic and lathe access i'd turn a bunch up for the forum :(
    Any ideas are welcome.

12. sevesteen

sevesteen Member

Added factory luggage to my Seca 750:

[​IMG]

13. Timmay

Timmay Member

rode it to.Laconia NH Bike Week! I only saw one other XJ, a Midnight Maxim...

I represented!

14. hogfiddles

I didn't really do anything to mine, per say, other than move them around a bit. BUT.... I did help another list member who called up last night..."You happen to have a throttle cable? I just broke mine". Happens I did, so he truck-bedded it up to me and we swapped it out, and also cleaned the right-hand control switches as they were all dusty, filled with dirt, and the 'START' button was pretty sticky.

It's a good thing he came up, because as he put the truck in reverse, the left front brake line ruptured. I crimped the line so he'd have be able to get home, but when he stepped on the brake, it blew through. So.....two more times of that, with the same result, the brake line showed that it was weak all the way to the junction.

So, he was able to ride home on his bike and get the truck later to fix it as time permits. It wasn't the ideal day for him, I guess, but I said to him the the way I see it is: well if you DIDN'T bring the bike up this morning, you would have lost the brakes who-knows-where-at-what-speed and you'd be without a truck AND without a bike. At least this way you have a set of wheels, and your truck is safe in a driveway.

That blue seca above, looks really sharp!

Congrats to Timmay.

I'm riding to a car/bike show tomorrow. I don't think there's any judging, but that's ok................

Dave F

15. hogfiddles

Coach......good thing you didn't ride that up here for the carb clinic......we would have thought the sun was out.

Dave Fox

16. Erman

Erman Member

Finished molding the front fender in fibreglass (3rd try), and test fitted on the bike.
    Looking goooood

17. moellear

moellear Member

On the 550, I took both wheels off and currently are being changed (they were date coded from 1993!).
    Also took chain off for inspection and its soaking in kerosene for a few days til wheels are put back on.
    Boy was that dirty. Starting to see how the PO never did anything for this bike in 20 years!
    Also took front brake caliper apart for cleaning & inspection. Jeeeez glad I did that. Master cylinder will be cleaned and re-bled once tire is put back on.

On the 650, disassembled the engine head to replace head gasket. last time I had it apart I failed to put the copper-crush washers on the RH side. Needless to say after 4100 miles of riding, oil started to weap out the RH side. New gasket kit directly from Japan, and I hope to be riding back on it by next weekend!

18. Erman

Erman Member

Primed the new front fender for painting later today, and clear coated the tank to enhance that nice red color...

19. Toastmoofin

Toastmoofin New Member

Finally got around to painting the pipes (to cover up the damage I'd done) and got called in to work mid-way. It sounds amazing without them:D

20. Erman

Erman Member

Finished fabbing and painting fibre glass front fender, mounted.
    Assebled pistons on rods, put on clutch cover, and put the jugs on engine.