1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. ned6x4

ned6x4 New Member

Buffalo and Toaster, thanks for the kudos! Today was the biggest step, though! I bought the bike in June of last year and today she was fired up for the first time. Huge thanks to all the guys on here. Especially guys like Bigfitz, Rickcomatic, Hogfiddles and the other "elder statesmen." This board has been a huge inspiration and has provided mounds of encouragement. I would have thrown in the towel without this site. The bike isn't quite road ready, but I know I can get her there with in the next month. Thanks everyone, the first Bud of today goes out to all of you! Have a happy 4th of July!

2. DieselDave

DieselDave New Member

Hey Rick,
    I work in Billerica, actually Burlington
    Do yow anyone want a real project bike?

I have a complete 85 XJ700
    It has good Hitachi carbs.
    Bow, New Hampshire

It was a "Rat Bike" project my son (and I) started.
    The engine (at one time) ran with carb cleaner sprayed down carbs.
    Carbs needed overhaul, so
    I took them off, cleaned them up
    bought new jets, float valves, gaskets, ect about $200
    Then my son joined the army
    Bikes has been sitting outside for 4 or 5 years.
    The Carbs are off and stored inside.
    I'll sell you the the whole bike including new carb parts
    for $150 That sless than the new carb parts would cost.

Here is a pix of bike from a couple years ago.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's in sad shape, good parts bike or rat bike project.
    I never rode it so don't ask silly questions.
    I would rather it go to a good home than my scrap metal dealer.

I'm not going to monitor this site so
    Please email me
    davecolantuoni at yahoo dot com

3. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Took the exhaust off cause I knew it wasn't sitting right, found half the flange nuts were loose, and the joint from header to back end was loosey goosey. Sounds and runs much better now.

Checked air filter, good and clean.
    Checked left side caliper pads (uneven rotor wear on one side) pads seen fine, must have a weirdly shaped rotor from previous pads.

Oil change tomorrow.

4. trailsnail

trailsnail Member

Took the bike for a nice 170 mile ride in Colorado. Temperature was a little bit chilly, but it was still way better than a day at work.

5. ColoradoDan

ColoradoDan Active Member

Pulled carbs for the second time this weekend to see what I did wrong yesterday that made the bike rough to start. Discovered what might be a bad egg - a float needle rubber tip looked less like a newly sharpened pencil and more the tip at the end of the SATs.

While I had the opportunity, complete clunk test on the pistons, then put carbs back on - ran bike to find that the cold pipe was the same as the float with the funky needle tip. Just sent pm to chacal.

6. 99R3gal

99R3gal New Member

I ended up reinstalling the right hand mirror, changed the oil, replaced the clutch handle, and just sat on it lol. I'm now waiting on new tires and this bike should be good to go.
    [​IMG]

7. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Woo a week with nobody doing anything to their bikes :)

Found that my exhaust adjustment made my pilots WAY rich, fouled plugs, need to find new source for BP7ES as crappy tire doesn't carry them anymore in Stratford. They don't carry BCP7ES either, I was far from happy...

8. maximike

maximike Member

Got second caliper piston out, using the "steam cannon" technique. (don't try at home, kids) Finished cleaning behind seals. One caliper was missing a seal, I think. Maybe flying piston took it somewhere. Painted brake calipers and various brake parts. While I was at it, removed master cylinder, painted that, took paint off the "Yamaha" on lid. Fixed brake light switch that I broke removing MC;) Found a place for my gps, mounted holder by drilling a few holes and using wire ties through them to bar and windshield mounting bar.

9. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Got a smokin' deal on 10 x BPR6ES, $15 for 10, so i'm going to have to find a way to get rid of the resistive part of my plug caps :/

I'll throw a set in tonight for the ride home and see how she runs with resistive caps and plugs *fingers crossed*

10. WileyDan

WileyDan Member

In the middle of rebuilding my the carbs on my 82 maxim 750 - Got everything apart and in the middle of cleaning everything thoroughly. 2 carbs down 2 to go. Will be ordering some parts from Chacal tomorrow- o-rings,seals, gaskets, etc.

11. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

Moved away from my rotor issue and on to an oil change. PO placed filter compression spring between filter and block! Plus, the spring seat washer wasnt in there. I dont know how long it has been like this or what negative implications it may have. Had I known I needed this washer, I'd have ordered one from Len with my last order!
    Headed to the hardware store to try and find a washer that'll fit.
    FMB! :]

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The washer isn't critical and you won't find one at the hardware. Just get one from Len and install it at the next oil change.

13. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

Thanks Fitz. I'm gonna throw in an M20 I picked up today. I plan on switching the oil and filter again after the first couple of weeks.

Drained final drive, refitted new crush washer, filled with Valvoline 80W-90 Gear. Pulled back tire off again to flip the brake cam to the proper orientation.

Tonight: Pulling off gas tank to drain/inspect/clean, clean frame, check components and cable routing under tank.
    Filling new oil, fresh gas, and fitting new battery. Then gonna try to run her.
    I wonder if there are any other tests or check to make while the tank is off?

14. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Got my new Supertrapp muffler in the mail yesterday, and temporarily installed it to hear how it sounds. Nice.

Now I have to have the bracket welded onto the muffler in the right place, and tweak the carb adjustments to suit. Looking forward to a ride to see what the "reduced backpressure" does for performance.

15. Buffalony

Buffalony Member

Done: Battery installation, MC rebuilt, Stripped and cleaned rear wheel FD guard, Dewaxed then waxed tank, started it up and ran it. Idles alittle rough, only ran in prime, but I still have to replace the fuel line between the pet and filter then rtv the manis.

Moving back to the front end tonight, hopefully get these bars reinstalled, these blinker grounds resoldered, and the front wheel squared up.

16. RSpark

RSpark Member

Well it wasn't today but within the last 3 weeks I have put in a brand new clutch, new chain and sprockets and am getting ready for paint and body work.

17. RSpark

RSpark Member

I got her a new used set of saddle bags today, also in the last month it has received new used exhaust, new chain sprockets, and rebuilt forks. and soon it will be getting a paint job.

18. JohnStonePhoto

JohnStonePhoto Member

After a considering painting my bike a different color for a long time. I finally decided to leave her the original black with red metal flake. Instead I decided to add some red highlight in a few places...

Attached Files:

19. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Wow, people must be mostly riding and not "doing stuff" lol

Resync'd my carbs today with my crap homemade sync sticks, runs much better. Will do a better job when I borrow the merc sync tool from my manager at work.

Funny how just the vibs from a year of riding will make it go so far out of adjustment. ;)

Going for a nice long ride tonight to see a friend I haven't seen in a while.

20. rhys

rhys Member

Now that the Honda is all put back together and running, turned attention back to the Yamahas. Ordering brakes parts for the 750 and found the airbox lid. Need to get the airbox boots for my 750 and the "guest" 750 put back in so tuning can begin. Did valve shim replacements on my 650 and 750 a couple of weeks ago.

650 starts and idles a little better, but still has some issues. Once it's warm, it idles okay for a moment, but then slowly dies. There's also a clicking noise that sounds like it's coming from the right side. (I'll start a separate thread with a link to the video I took from my phone.) It varies with RPM and I don't hear it when the bike is cold.

It's worth noting that I haven't synced the carbs since the valve adjustment, there's a 4-into-1 exhaust on it (that had a very loose flange on #4), pod air filters, and #120 main fuel jets. (I already ordered #114s to put in there, but haven't installed them yet.)

So the bike is kind of a basket case. But with this clicking sound, I wanted to make sure it isn't something that means taking the enging apart before I waste a bunch of time on other stuff or ride it and end up doing permanent damage to the bike.

Went over my 650 and 750 in general, though, and found most things in good working order. May have them in safe riding condition before too long. :)