1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Looks like today may be the last day to ride for me. Get some gas, ride, going to try Sta-Bil this year instead of seafoam, fill her, take the cluster off and put her to bed.

Sometimes I really wish I lived in Florida!

2. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

I have mine all ready to put to sleep. Stabil in the gas ran it thru the engine and fogged it also. Order a few more carb parts from chacal then rebuild spare carb set.

3. rd337

rd337 Member

I fabricated a supertrapp muffler on! sounds AMAZING

4. wazimoto

wazimoto Member

Drove the xj1100 back home an hour today to her resting place for the winter.
    40* driving for an hour gets a bit chilly on the knees & hands, even when bundled up!

Sea-foam was in the tank for the drive today. Other things for the winter are to fix the speedo, check the valve clearances, and most likely clean the carbs.

5. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

Hey All,

Last week I was working out in the yard and pulled "Solid" out the garage. Once I finished what I was doing I went to take her for a spin. The weather had cooled quite a bit. Finally she started, but it seemed she was having a more difficult time than usual. I didn't ride her for two days while I raked leaves :D. Yesterday, it was cool also. I went to take her for a spin and she did the same thing; fired but seemed to have difficulty during the process. I came to the "clubhouse", read a couple threads, went back out and swapped her plugs from the resistant BPR's to non-resistant BP's. She fired right up, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't because she was already warm. Went out this chilly morning, and with a completely cold engine, turned the key, hit the switch...She fired. What I learned...having resistant caps and plugs won't hurt the firing, one or the other is better, either keep resistant caps and non-resistant plugs or non-resistant caps and resistant plugs. Enjoy.

Gary

6. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I am now in the process of stripping my frame and other steel parts of old paint and rust. I have never seen a more complex work of engineering as this frame. So far all the welds are top notch.

7. sebwiers

sebwiers Active Member

Yesterday I bought it and welded on mounting tabs for a Virago tank, then hauled it home in the truck.

Today I rolled it off the truck and took some photos. http://imgur.com/a/TpjBz

8. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

Ran out of gas/gas in the crankcase (left the petcock on Prime). Walked my bike back home for 1.5 miles in full gear: socks, boots, long johns, thick jeans, full face helmet, thick work shirt, flannel and insulated motorcycle jacket. "Luckily" my house happens to be the only one up a nice sloping grade. Not one person stopped to see if I needed help or if I was okay. Including motorcyclists that zoomed by. Moral of the story: don't break down on a bike in South Jersey 'cause no one gives a shit. I can't tell you how many people in cages or on bikes that my friends and I have stopped to help and yet kharma doesn't always return the favor. Oh well, time to change the oil!

9. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

I'm still trying to get the frame blasted, first off the compressor I bought, while adequate for the job can't quite keep up. I'm using 80 grit Silica sand at 150 psi. As of yesterday the frame is 95% stripped. I have also started stripping the gas tank, and I have stripped most of the small steel parts.
    Hi Matt, sorry to hear about your experience, Las Vegas IS just like that as well. Here is a tip for you: when you've finished riding for the day, take a screw driver and use the handle to tap the float bowls, this vibration should un-stick any floats that aren't behaving.

10. PacNorWestHD

PacNorWestHD Member

Changed out Needle valves from rubber tip to Metal ( purchased from Chacal ) reset float levels, checked fluid level in Battery and put perm trickle charge leads on, pulled rear fender for repaint as a buddy came and sat on on it with unfinished seat pan and 5 inch springs and compressed it right on top of rear fender putting a HUGE gouge in the paint and metal.

11. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Getting chilly, but went for a ride anyway.......now contemplating what else to do today---

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Procrastinated on finishing up winterization. It's supposed to be nearly 60 degrees here tomorrow with abundant sunshine.

Winter layover may have to wait. Might have to put on a few more miles.

Turkey, schmurkey. I wanna ride...

13. hogfiddles

Ok...........here's what I did this afternoon--

Shoe-horned my (new to me) 82 XJ650 Seca into the shop. So....now I'm crowded again. :) But she's home, dry, warm, and safe. Time for a long slumber til resto time.

Fitz....are the carbs on these the same as on other 650 engines or are they specific to this bike? Reason I ask.....two extra racks came with the bike, and are supposedly both for the 650rj.

Dave F

14. ken007

ken007 Member

gday matt, same thing happened to me , same distance from home ,uphill, but it was a fuse, anyway 1 bloke stopped and asked if i needed fuel, and another couple asked if i needed a hand 50 yards from home ,some young punks thought it was funny and gave me some lip, i vowed to find and maim them, it was hot, im old and it nearly killed me, karma will sort it self out one day, keep helping people and all will be well.

15. hogfiddles

I make it a point to stop whenever I see a bike on the side of the road and the person doing anything but taking a leak.

I've delivered gas, taken guys to gas stations, taken people home, taken them somewhere to simply make a call, etc.....

I think I passed one ONCE and didn't stop because I was running wa-a-a-y late. That was three years ago, and I still feel guilty for not stopping anyway.

Most of the time, the reply is, "nah...just taking a break, but thanks for stopping.....you're the only one that asked"

I've pushed a bike home, I've run out of gas....I KNOW what it feels like when no one wants to stop and help 'a biker'......yeah, we bad...........

Glad you got home ok, albeit tired and wore out.

Dave F

16. Thrasher

Thrasher Member

I ordered .80wt fork springs from Sonic springs. Ordered 15wt Maxima fork oil, Bridgestone Battlax 110/70ZR-17 BT-016 front tire. I have the FZR600 front end on the Seca. Soda blasted the header and painted it.

17. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Checked valve clearances on the 650 had 5 out of spec. Now I need to talk to Hogfiddles and see if he has the last one I need to get it finished up.

18. hogfiddles

Mav.....got your pm, I got the one you need. If you're home this weekend we can meet in Utica again......Would save a LOT of time. Will try calling tomorrow. Possibly, we could meet tomorrow morning... othewise late afternoon/evening or Friday. Saturday we're looking at snow.......... I still have your number, do you have mine?

Dave F

19. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

Ya I still have your number, figured it would be a good one to keep a hold of :)

20. LVSteve2011

LVSteve2011 Member

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!