1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

I enjoyed riding my 82 XJ650J today for the first time since it has had new tires, new brakes (front and rear,) rebuilt master cylinder and caliber,new brake lines and new front and rear wheel bearings. Sure did feel a whole lot better about riding it around. Thanks to the guys here I turned a very unsafe motorcycle into a much safer one. Now getting stuff together to check valve clearances and then synch the carbs....yea!!

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Repaired my turn signal relay...because I'm a cheapskate :)

3. machelis

machelis New Member

I dug back into the Maxim for the first time since last fall.

I took off the seized caliper and am currently trying to unstuck it. All the front brake stuff is coming off for new lines and rebuilt everything else.

Can't wait for the first ride.

4. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

figured out why it was idling at 9k rpm when i put the carbs back on yesterday..... the throttle cable wasn't in the bracket + holding it wide open.... *facepalm*

5. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Big face palm . re installing my carbs this weekend . Will make sure i dont do the same

6. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

Brought her flowers for our 7th anniversary together!

Just kidding...I bought my 1977 Yamaha XS650 in February 2006, seven years ago.

7. Foolber

Foolber Member

???....

i get mine back tommarow!!!! (hopefully), i have been working on a 2002 cowi vulcan 1500 clutch this week though, horrible testing (if any lol) cow did on these bikes......google a vulcan 1500 clutch problem from 00-05 and you'll see what i mean.

8. jpacman

jpacman Member

Ordered Virago bar mounts from ebay to replace stock 2-piece bars. Saw some pics in forum of other similar Maxim mods and was inspired. Hope to find a tube-type that's a bit flatter but not too "drag bar" flat.

Reset the floats on the bench, put the carbs back together, threw in the battery, and, by gosh, it started right up! Yee haw!!!

Now just waiting for sweet, sweet spring to arrive in northern New England.

9. Madmusk

Madmusk Member

Just got my carbs all finished up after rebuilding, bench-syncing, wet-setting, etc. Holy crap, I'd rather re-build my calipers 3 times than have to set those floats again. Guess it's worth it for that feeling of seeing all 4 at exactly 3mm!

Spring weather can't come soon enough but in the mean time I'll be stripping out the crap liner job the PO put in my tank and doing some cosmetic re-working of the bike.

Then I won't have anything left to fiddle with so I guess that means I'll just have to ride! :D

10. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Ran new vac line, fuel hose, and a cleanable fuel filter; lubed all the cables; put the brake calipers back on, and have it sitting with the MC filled (lever tied back) and the bleeders cracked to pre-bleed the system overnight. I might get to ride tomorrow........if the snow finishes melting off of the street.

11. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

Hmm, well I'll start with yesterday...

I went to a house 5 miles away, pushed it onto a trailer, strapped it down, signed the paperwork & then offloaded it at home, put the acid in the brand new battery that came with it & put on charge overnight... :D Yay I have my new toy!!!

Onto today, I pulled the tank, sidepanels etc & removed the carbs as per the guide (airbox rubbers were lovely and soft, inlet stubs not so much...) and gave them a good cleaning out to supplement the P/O's semi-done job, including re-siting the pilot & main air jets which were in the "Haynes position", and marvelled in the wonders of rubber plugs in the pilot screw holes that meant the pilot screws are like new.

Once I'd got that done with & wrestled the carbs back onto the stubs (had to remove the outer two & put them on separately to be able to get the carbs onto the middle two without pushing the whole plot off the centre stand! fortunately an indoor life has left this bike with virtually no nasties like seized or rotten bits) I swilled the tank out & put some fresh juice in, hooked it up & got the bike running for a few seconds just to hear it.

Now I only have to put the airbox rubbers back in, get some new fuel pipe & filter, replace the oil and filter, bevel box oil change, U/J check, brake lines & maybe pads (triple discs, no drum nasties for me :) ), clean the master cylinder, new throttle cable, new tyres (especially the 1977 dated front on a bike last taxed in 2004!!!!! :roll: ) new grips & then RIDE!

So yeah, not a lot to do considering, provided that the suspected non-original carbs are actually set up to this engine... 8)

12. trgrhappy

trgrhappy Member

Started re-assembly yet again. Took it down to the frame and had it painted, new paint on the tank and fenders, cleaned the carbs, and checked the valves over the winter. Now it's time to put it together again. Warming up a bit here, the bikes are out, and I'm itching to ride.

13. johnnyx

johnnyx Member

Ordered a set of iridium plugs today-guy at napa said they were listed as masaratti plugs-hope i get the rjght ones-ordered dr8eix ?

14. 750E-II_29Rbloke

That reminds me, I meant to buy plugs when I went to the shop earlier *facepalm*

the ones in my XJ750E-II are currently BPR7-ES, wouldn't bother with platy plugs to be honest since they are more suited to EFI/CAT equipped stuff & can foul easily (not to mention the cost!!!)

Also, if you can drop the "R" designation I.E. BPR7ES to BP7ES etc, the R signifies a resistor designed to suppress RF interference but in my experience bikes start & run more reliably without, and RF suppression is a bit redundant nowadays, who has analogue telly these days anyway?

15. johnnyx

johnnyx Member

Got my tins back from painter today-man they look sweet-will post pics in my gallery-also picked up a set of iridium plugs-now i have to reassemble and wait for spring-come on spring-have a buddy going for a ride today-hes nuts its minus ten here.

16. Foolber

Foolber Member

moved it to a corner in the garage :(

17. Ross1

Ross1 Member

Over the weekend, ordered parts from XJ4EVER. Other than that, NOTHING UNTIL IT STOPS SNOWING!! Don't want to hear from people who live in places where it's 70. This summer, when it's 80 here and the mountain behind your house is on fire, sorry if I miss your posting 'cause your" tires have melted and oh-by the way what's the most durable and fire resistant tire"... sorry, that's when I'll finally be out on I-81 doing 9400 rpm and avoiding the armed tax collectors with the flashing roof lights.
    ... Sorry, just want to go for a ride. Don't mean to be nasty. (Don't have a garage, or even a friend with one nearby, the maintenance will just have to wait.)

18. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

watching it get snowed on... yes its got a cover... but still so sad

19. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Nothing as sad to see as a bike's outline hugged by a cover weighed down with frozen snow :cry: glad spring's not far off here :p

20. motors-guitars

motors-guitars Member

covered it... and now watching it get snowed on