1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. IAAustin

IAAustin New Member

Congrats!

Today I simply thought about my Yamaha...I guess rain is better than drought though.

2. xjdaver

xjdaver Member

Rode my Concours about 40 miles. Then bought a seal removal tool and yanked out my Seca's fork seals. No way they were coming as illustrated in the shop manual (prying with a screwdriver).

3. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Finally opened up the MC reservoir with the help of Kroil (top screws were rusted shut), replaced brake lines with SS lines, bled the system, took it for a spin. Brakes now feel nice and crispy.

4. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Buttoned up the front end after new break pads re installed fairing , changed oil , short test ride , then i parked it hooked up the boat and spent the afternoon on the lake with my wife and best friend catching dinner !!

5. tonzo

tonzo New Member

checked valve clearances and ordered new shims accordingly, soldered in a new fuse block, rebuilt petcock and cleaned out the starter motor

6. 4ltern4te

4ltern4te Member

put the motor back in the frame, and began mocking up some forward controls. Also, I drank a beer. OK, maybe 2. ;)

7. sektorgaz

sektorgaz Member

Rebuilt petcock, installed cheap ebay crash bars, adjusted rear brake light engagement after new pads. Still need to wet set the carbs and she'll be ready for inspection.

8. ElkHavenSeca

finished eveporust restoration on rusty e bay crash bars and put a coat of wax on them . install and pics later

9. Beck

Beck Member

Wrote a list of payday wishes. She needs a new battery and the rain to stop.

10. SilentRaven

SilentRaven Member

re soldered my start button, and cleaned up my new valve cylinder head still waiting on head gasket before i install it. also cleaned off the mud and grime from the oil pan and exhaust.

11. pbjman

pbjman Member

valve clearances, oil & filter, final drive oil, new blinker bulb

12. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Since it's raining, I took the 700's rear wheel off to take a peek at the brake linings........lots of dust to blow out but the brakes look good. So, greased the spreader, pivot, axle, adjusted, etc.......

A couple days ago I woke up the 900......replaced the clutch cable with a new one from Chacal, since my OEM one has been sent out for some measurements........started up on the first 'pull'! It came up to a good idle and just as I started rolling toward the door the idle dropped to a putt-putt-putt-etc..... idle and wouldn't respond to throttle, or enricher or anything.....then all it would do was to stall whenever I'd crack the throttle. Then it wouldn't even start. I noticed the fuel gauge was at E.

Expecting the worst, I opened the oil filler cap to take a sniff.....NO gas there! Hmmmm........sounds (and feels) like there's enough gas in the tank------why would it act like I ran out of gas!!?!?!

Expecting to find the next worst, I looked at the petcock and expected to see that it was bad or a tube was clogged.........

DOH!........didn't hook up either the vacuum line OR the fuel line when I lowered the tank back down after sliding the clutch cable up through.

So, since no one was there, I just hooked them up like they should have been----she fired right up.

Geez, that bike is fast...............

Tomorrow and sat. evening it gets all shined up for a show on Sunday!

Dave F

13. ElkHavenSeca

Awesome hogfiddles

14. darkfibre

darkfibre Member

Wasn't today, it was last week :(

[​IMG]

15. Hedley

Hedley New Member

Replaced the petcock, new air filter, changed oil, and replaced the spark plugs. I rebuilt the petcock last year but it started leaking into the oil again. Yikes, I'm lucky I didn't damage the engine by being so tight. Lesson learned, do it right the first time!

16. XJOE550

XJOE550 Active Member

Finally made my first parts purchase for the SECA. New seat cover off of eBay: XJ550 SECA seat . Has anybody purchased covers from this seller before? Earlier this week, I spent some time polishing up the engine and one the fork lowers. I get more excited to work and spend money for parts as it starts took look better. I spent a good part of the morning working / cleaning, checking and taking a little more inventory of what I need. Things don't look too bad so far. The most expensive parts I need so far are the side panels and new carb boots. But I found that I have a lot of parts which I thought I was going to have to purchase. I will need a choke and clutch cable. Speedo looks good. Alos will need new brake shoes and pads. And I am I sure I will need the rebuild kits for the master cylinder and calipers. And will want to replace the handle bars with a Euro bar set. Got the tank prepped and pored in some white vinegar in there so it can steep a couple of weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. smokeater

smokeater Member

bought new plugs and replaced the 30amp main fuse......to no avail....

18. sebwiers

sebwiers Active Member

More carb cleaning, pulled some shims that are out of spec.

19. jpacman

jpacman Member

New rear brake shoes and springs, new valve cover bolts and rubber seals, double checked valve clearances, ordered 7 shims from Len, ordered new tires (hope they come in before 500 mile weekend camping trip), oiled all cables, greased rear splines and changed rear gear oil while wheel was off.

Busy day......I need a beer or three.

20. DaveT174

DaveT174 Member

Checked valve clearances, inspected rear brake shoe, finished up a few wiring issues, and spent several hours cleaning starter jets and drilling out drain screws.

This was the first weekend I've had off in over a month, I wanted to make it count. And since it rained the entire time I didn't want to be outside anyway.