1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

I ride year round, don't have a car at the moment 8)

Excited now, my new frame should be here tomorrow with any luck :D So today's going to drag obviously, might as well get working on that fairing...

2. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Hey cyclnoob i remember seeing that bike on craigslist ... welcome i rode my seca yesterday . I will ride all winter as long as the road is dry . I too love a cold crisp mountain ride any time of year

3. FtUp

FtUp Well-Known Member

thanks for the warm welcome elkhaven, and howdy neighbor. I bought it for myself for my birthday. it is amazing how clean this bike is. only 14k on the clock and it was stored indoors most of it's life. of course it needs all the obligatory upgrades to make it roadworthy but it was still a deal at $800 imho.

at 14k, it needed a valve adjustment in the worst way. all the valves were at almost zero clearance. I have since discovered that the #4 cold start circuit is plugged up, so the carbs need to come off for a good cleaning and rebuild. the front brake lines are original and I am betting so was the brake fluid. I am also guessing the clutch is original and in need of replacement. looks like there is a good list to keep me busy all winter.

CN

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

I took the 700 airhead out for a ride today, got up the road a few miles and the cops had a road-check-block going on. I am inspected, insured, registered, so I wasn't worried at all.

They had several cars pulled over, and two bikes for out-of-date inspection. I was waved through, came back through a little later. The cop said, " saw you before, go right ahead" and I told him I'd be back through again with another one.

So, I took the 900rk for a ride. When I got there, they stopped me and walked all around the bike looking and looking and looking.......then waved me through. :) when I came back through, one of them said...."hey, you only get one more time-----LOL", I said, "then I'll come back through!"

So, I took out the 750 seca. :) I didn't stay out long, though. Found a couple issues:

1. front brakes are starting to hang up

2. mouse nest on top of the airbox, and some of the wires were chewed (@#$% mouse!) It still ran, but none of the idiot lights work, nor the signals and brake light.................spring time work to do------

So far, I've gotten all summer, September, October, and November covered. Wonder if I'll get a Dec. day.....who knows--maybe I'll get the whole year in this time. :)

dave Fox

5. cutlass79500

cutlass79500 Well-Known Member

Cleaned the shocks and put them back on the rd. Pulling the grab bar and rear fender to do the same tomorrow

6. z32800

z32800 Member

Shoot me! perfect day for a ride and I was in the garden planting trees WTF was I thinking??? So, I'm an idiot and did nothing with my Yamaha today!!! :-(

7. z32800

z32800 Member

Redeemed myself and went for a 50Klm ride in the sunshine; just gotta love summer :)

8. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Nahh well, I dunno. Winter here and if I'm gonna be rebuilding the old girl from the floor upwards I'd rather it be during the time of year she'd be hibernating anyway, so you're welcome to the sweaty season for now! :lol:

EDIT-: Couldn't find the 27mm ring spanner so the back end, stand & engine/airbox are still resolutely clinging to the bent frame by a few bolts. My 58L forks did arrive today though so I swapped the tyre onto the round front wheel in anticipation, and did a little cleaning :) Ice is here now so I foresee a lot of "indoor jobs" this week!

9. bobcat5540

bobcat5540 Member

Received color tune yesterday. got everything adjusted and sync'd. Then checked color again. Much improved idle and throttle response. After reading Lens write up on jetting,I decided not to re jet due to no change in intake (stock air box).So far so good. A Nice light brown plug tip.
    I do have to wonder though if slight back firing on deceleration is a symptom of pipes or air / fuel .Would re-jeting would have cured this?

http://s1288.photobucket.com/user/bobca ... sort=3&o=3

10. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Popping/banging through the exhaust on the overrun (deceleration) is likely to be a small leak in the exhaust introducing fresh air & helping any unburned fuel to ignite within the pipe. If it bothers you I'd look at the header gaskets & the welds on your pipe. Personally I rather like causing nervous drivers to wet themselves with my CB500's leaky old Motad :twisted:

Rain day, no outside work again. Got my new fairing/headlight/clocks, bit more cleaning & install head bearings to "new" frame.

11. bobcat5540

bobcat5540 Member

Hell yes , I hear yea there,
    That gives me a good place to start. I did have a header pipe #3 that didn't quite fit into the head as nicely as the others.
    Thanks to everyone on this Fourm for there insight and Advice.

12. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Welded the cracked sidestand mount on the 900 frame. I'm out of practice with the old welder though, not the neatest job in the world but it'll be hidden under the engine anyway!

Might get round to fitting the front end & wiring later...

Before

[​IMG]

And after

[​IMG]

13. BleedingOxide

BleedingOxide Member

I spent all day trying to get the swingsrm nut off.
    Penetrating oil
    Heating with a torch
    Fully standing on the wrench (bent it)
    Moving the swingarm up and down lots
    Hitting it
    Swearing at it
    Begging it.

No dice

14. nobluff

nobluff New Member

in middle of changing rear drum brakes to disc brakes, xj750 but now a trike,
    the drum brakes were crap lol

15. tmrastatter

tmrastatter Member

What did I do with my Yamaha today? I looked at it and I am waiting for spring!

16. 750E-II_29Rbloke

Not long to wait now, it's going to be a short, mild winter this year... Spring will arrive a week or two after Christmas, I've already spoken to the management & pre-arranged this... 8) :lol:

17. azman857

azman857 Member

:wink: Took the '92 XJ600 out for a 150mile ride. Sure it was a bit cool and the the skys threatened rain at times, but the scenery was great and the roads stayed dry.

18. ElkHavenSeca

changed the oil about 4:30 am , Went to church waiting for the hard frost to melt off and then rode 75 miles on this fine , sunny , 40 degree day here !

19. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

walked through the 4 inches of snow, high wind, and 13 degrees F, just to stand in the shop and look at the parts.

dave

20. ElkHavenSeca

Awesome dave !!!