1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Ground-Hugger

Ground-Hugger Member

Finally did carbtune and colortune on the carbs. Changing main fuel jet from 120 to 122 was the best thing I've done for the bike. I'm running 4 to 1 exhaust and was having to turn the air/fuel mixture needles way out to get a good setting. Now I don't have to do that!!!

2. Dedbolt

Dedbolt New Member

Put in a fuse box from Chacal and fixed my blinkers yesterday. Now to start rebuilding the brakes. Have new SS lines, pads, rear caliper rebuild kit and a new front master cylinder. Waiting on the front caliper rebuild kits. Any tips on the brake rebuild?

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Put new rear tire on, Dunlop D404.
    Remembered to write down milage! :)
    Regreased splines, shaft and rear brake pivot points. Reset rear brake pedal free play.
    Torqued axle bolt, but at 77 ft/lbs the castle didn't align with the cotter pin hole . ended up just over 80 ft/lbs. not a concern - right? :?

4. peganit2

peganit2 Member

None at all. It has to be done.

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I finally stopped procrastinating and installed a Turbo Seca oil cooler on my Seca 750.

6. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Next time back the nut off instead of tightening it further. Stripped threads are no fun to fix.

7. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

Replaced broken clutch cable and also replaced choke cable (it's 33 years old as well).

Plan on letting these settle/ stretch in before replacing the 33 year old throttle cable. Don't want too many variables to worry about; understandably the choke is only a concern during cold starting.

8. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

I was busy working on my car all week, but today it started raining at 4am and hasn't let up since. So off to the shed I went to work on the bike! Nothing major today, just the front wheel bearings. The old ones were feeling a little knotchy, so I can't wait until the rain lets up to go for a ride!

Oh yeah, the bike did strand me last week. A guy in a white Camry cut me off on the highway, so after braking and getting his attention, I went to downshift, only to hear and feel the POP! of the clutch cable breaking. A couple expletives later, I rolled the bike into a dry cleaner parking lot (10pm) and got my roommate to pick me up so I could grab my spare cable and a couple wrenches. So it came to pass that Smack swapped out a clutch cable in the dark in a sketchy part of town.

9. quebecois59

quebecois59 Well-Known Member

I broke my clutch cable in an attempt to lubricate it, the bike being in my shed. Better there than on the road.

I finished rebuilding rebuiding my front forks last week and my MC yesterday. Calipers are the next step. It should be road worthy by the end of August...

10. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Psst..... Len has 'em now;). I know-- I sent him my original so that he could make reproductions, and he told me the other day that they are done:) ask him about them, and let him know I told you about them:). Btw, I sent you a different text message earlier today --- did you get it? If so, text back.... If not, pm me.

Dave fox

11. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did some Gun-Kote a spare set of carb bodies..........pictures when their out of the oven

12. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    Finished the install of tapered steering head bearings. Funny how those little, tiny notches can feel so deep on the old, ball bearing races. All better now. Ride a bit, adjust again and be all ready for Jack Cole's Covered Bridge Vintage Ride in Walton, NY in a few weeks.

13. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

hmmm...got on it, turned the key to on, hit the starter button, bike idling at 1100 rpm with no choke needed. Put on helmet and took her for about a hundred mile drive up and down the coastal A1A on the east side of Florida. Bike performed flawlessly and ran like a finely tuned machine. Stopped off in Flagler and the bike drew much attention. One guy asked if I owned the bike from new and I said no, only for about a year and a half. Felt good to see all the Rolex Riders slobber over an old XJ. He asked who do the restoration, and I told him the Wizards of XJBikes with the help of Chacal of XJ4Ever. He looked a bit confused, but I explained it to him.

Advice? It is only cheap when the receiver ignores it. But then again, you can never help anyone who won't help themselves first.

Time for the pool...and the beer....see ya guys

14. tmrastatter

tmrastatter Member

My fj600 is finally on the road, brand new tires too, so off I went for a hot lap around the township.
    TR

15. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

Bike didn't wanna start today. Instant expletives. Didnt take long to determine she wasn't getting spark. Coils showed no resistance. Took them off the rack, both are basically cracked in half. Luckily, my neighbour works for an auto shop so I got a wicked deal on a couple Dynacoils.

Waiting (im)patiently for them to arrive, I replaced the rear wheel bearings, swapped sprockets, new chain, mounted my new BT45. The weather is beautiful, and my anguish is immeasurable.

16. engraverwilliam

engraverwilliam Member

New Grips.

[​IMG]

17. sanglasmick

sanglasmick Member

Rode it.

Enjoyed it.

Looked at it.

Rode it again.

Enjoyed it again.

18. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Pilot, Did you check the fuses, and did you check your battery?

Dave F

19. dmccoach

dmccoach Member

I had to repaint my bike... (not due to a dump or crash)... The paint shop suggested and I agreed to a color from the "Jaguar collection" and it is called a Pearl Yellow - pic of a Jag in the color chosen also seen below... I know "yellow" is an unusual (if never used) color for these bikes, but I very much like the result:

[​IMG]
    (No badges yet - can't decide yet)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. engraverwilliam

engraverwilliam Member

Wow DM that is nice.
    I've been considering going laser Blue.

But for it to look right, I think the fenders would need to be painted as well and I don't thing I am ready to do that yet.

[​IMG]