1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Did a vac/sync today.

before :
    IMG_0362.JPG

After:
    IMG_0367.JPG

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

So had to back to my parents , while I was there went to Martinsville In to the Walnecks motorcycle show. Yuge show mostly HD mixed with British bikes Norton , Triumph, Velocet, Triton. Was coming to the last row, I spied a left and right Seca side covers , broke tabs but can be fixed bought for 20$ . While standing there looked over there sat a frame and engine 81 Seca, he had forks ,swing arm front and back wheels , wiring loom , tank with some dents , the cluster had 9k . He wanted 200$ we settled on 100$ sooo I had givin him 20$ for side covers . 120$ to rescue a Seca felt good I have so many spare parts already only a few things to source . Was a good day searching, just saved a bike from being hacked up and I was going to go look at a 93 Honda 750 Nighthawk for 1500$ ...wife cannot give me grief cause now because now I have a project and the Nighthawk will go to someone else:D:D:D:D

hogfiddles likes this.
  3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Good find.

Jetfixer and hogfiddles like this.
  4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Are my brother??

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Secas come in many flavors; what did you find?

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

81 xj750 Seca will match my 82 xj750 Seca

7. jag3

jag3 Member

Received my spin-on oil filter kit today for my '83 XJ750 Maxim from Len at XJ4ever hoping to replace one night this week if not then will be replacing it this weekend. Also received new exhaust manifold gaskets, studs and nuts. A lot of work to do but in the end it'll all be worth the time. All the parts came from Len and I received excellent service and the dialog was fantastic, he definitely knows his stuff and helps you out when you have questions and responds quickly. The shipping was very quick and economical. I'll continue to purchase my parts from him because they are new, specific to your bike and guaranteed. Trying to keep it original since I'm the only owner it's had but I want an easier way to change the oil so spin-on it is.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Jetfixer likes this.
  8. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

I f**ked up and added a new throttle. What I really f**ked up was thinking I could loosen the screw where the throttle cable meets the throttle stop/rail and I'd have that 1/8 inch I needed to keep the "idle" just right. Now it runs at 4k RPMs and I can't figure out what the hell to do. Mostly because I can't figure out exactly where that screw was before. It sucks cause it was perfect after adjusting, by which I mean it idled perfectly and when I revved (turned the throttle) before test driving but now it sits at 5k RPMs.

9. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

Update*

Got the screw back to where it was, I think. Now I have a broken throttle cable. Such is life.

10. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

did you use the idle(throttlestop) adjustment knob at rear of carbs between 2 and 3 carb to adjust idle ot the cable adjustment at the throttle grip?

k-moe likes this.
  11. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

I believe it was the throttle stop. It's the screw where the throttle cable attaches to the rail. I see that there are other screws that look the same in between the other carbs. I had thought, in my infinite wisdom, that I could just back that screw out a little and it would give me the extra cable I needed. I'm pretty sure I got the screw back to where it was but now I gotta wait on the mil for a new cable. Of course, I'm probably going to run into the same problem. Is there a way to get some extra length out of the cable? By which I mean, can I take some of the tension out, either by shortening the throttle cable tube or turning a screw?

Edit: I'll try to add pics later.

12. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The screws between the carburettors are for balancing them with vaccum gauges.

XJ550H likes this.
  13. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

That is what I figured after the idle changed so drastically and then it wouldn't drop rpm. I'm going to have to tune the carbs now arent I?

14. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

The first thing to do if you have not checked them recently is your valve clearances, then balance the carburettors once you have your throttle cable fixed. No point in balancing carburettors without accurate valve clearances as you are balancing the carburetors on the vaccum from each cylinder.

15. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

Just for clarity you mean the screw pictured where the cable meats the bracket and connects to the screws with springs?

Attached Files:

16. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the three screws on your carburettors that are spring loaded on the throttle shaft. Mine are Mikuni BS 36 carburettors below.

16002890254006115626472780576601.jpg

16002892307637951997592513187896.jpg

17. XJ550H

those are the sync screws for carb 1,2,4 on the rear of carb you will find a knob that is for carb 3 and to set idle as the carbs are synced to 3 in the end

18. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

19. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

Oh, ok then. Should be fun fixing my own screw-up but I guess it's a lesson.

20. XJ550H

you could remove carbs and do a bench sync