1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. BohGeez

BohGeez New Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing. Not much riding time left anyway so I guess it's time to tear her apart and clean/lube everything up and replace gaskets and seals.

2. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

This evening replaced clutch on my xj750 Seca , I had just swapped this engine in . Noticed just seemed like it was not slipping but did not seem as crisp . The disks were pretty worn ,the steel plates were good . Of course I should have ordered new bolts , two would not torque down to 7.2 ft/lbs and of course snap one went . Pulled out remains ...hated to do this went to old engine pulled cover pulled two of the bolts out of clutch had to spend some time fighting to get clutch arm lined up . After I got cover in place fired up bike , no leaks took bike out cracked throttle ,pulled great 7k rpm . Cheers

3. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Engine assembly nearly complete. Now l wish l had another one to work on :D .

16003535669228472752139458624408.jpg

After fitting the rest of the parts are filling it with oil will rotating the crankshaft with a spanner be enough to fill the oil galleries before using the starter motor?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Jetfixer likes this.
  4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

yes just like when you check the shims oil flows through out the motor

Franz likes this.
  5. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Great l will do that to prime the engine.

6. Jetfixer

Jetfixer Well-Known Member

Got my new insurance card so have to pull seat due to the factory luggage to get to storage . While I had seat off put card in with registration , and made up an emergency kit with spare fuses and a small flashlight all fit in tail cubby hole.

7. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

It a legal requirement to carry insurance documentation in the United States l assume?

8. XJ550H

only if you live in a state that requires insurance, or travel into a state that requires insurance. My state does not require insurance so it can not require you to carry insurance card

9. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is that a medical insurance in case of an accident or motorcycle insurance?

10. XJ550H

motor vehicle insurance. even if it is not mandatory to carry the card it is a good idea to carry the card

with medical insurance hospitials, doctors, pharmacys can just look it up on the computer but having that card is always a good idea.
    The US makes it mandatory to have health insurance or you pay a fine when filing federal income taxes.

our motor vehicle insurance covers property damage and medical needs.

11. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I have noticed on the few videos I have seen on YouTube American riders having a card when stopped by the police. Didn't know about the mandatory health insurance in the States. I have a friend she is retired now but she worked in Washington for many years.

12. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

For clarity to the non U.S. members, motor vehicle insurance covers some property damage and some medical needs related to the accident depending on how much coverage you buy. It is possible for liabilty to exceed the amount covered by insurance., in which case lawsuits often result.

Even though most insurance information is available to police on their computers when they run a plate, many states still requre a paper card be shown upon penalty of the vehicle being towed if not presented. Some will even allow an officer to have a vehicle towed if an electronic copy of proof of insurance is presented on the vehicle operator's phone. I keep my cards in my vehicles no matter what, just in case I get stopped in a state that does not follow the same standards as the state I live in.

Jetfixer likes this.
  13. Dave in Ireland

Dave in Ireland Well-Known Member

In recent years I've taken to laser-printing and stashing in each bike a copy of my insurance policy vital page, in case I get a pull.

I haven't been pulled for over 25 years, and it was never a problem beforehand anyway, but nowadays if the computer says 'no' I have printed proof that it's wrong.
    Back in the day, the copper used to just hand out a producer form, as hardly anyone carried their documentation with them and there was no requirement to do so.
    I'd toddle down to the nearest cop shop and hand in my documents within five days and everyone was happy.

14. Huntchuks

Huntchuks Well-Known Member

There is no mandate for health insurance right now, it was repealed by the President. No fines anymore.

15. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

I was going too fast on my bike as a learner and was stopped had to take proof of my insurance down to the police station. They gave me a warning l was glad about that.

16. XJ550H

I have always had health insurance as it is just a good idea

my accident on my bike a few years ago ran over 250,000. then there were follow up visits for a few years. health insurance paid and worked it out with motor vehicle insurance to pay some.

the way I see it I got back every dime I ever paid into health insurance in my life time.

17. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Is that a recent development?

18. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Yes the medical bills cost a lot certainly if l was in America l would want to have health insurance. It's different here but l don't know for how long.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Health insurance is not the same as motor vehicle insurance for health costs related to a motor accident.

At this point I'll back off.
    This is a motorcycle forum, and we should keep it that way (per the site owner).
    Any posts regarding politics will be deleted. Repeat posts will result in warning points, up to and including a permanent ban from the forum.
    FWIW be sure to follow your state's laws regarding motorcycle insurance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Jetfixer likes this.
  20. Franz

Franz Well-Known Member

Engine rebuilt put oil in as it is not getting started for some time. No oil leaks so far and oil getting to the camshafts.

16006947436153705201542724513629.jpg

Dave in Ireland and XJ550H like this.