1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. japple999

japple999 Member

Cleaned out the starter, rebuilt the solenoid, re-ran the ground wires.

2. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

My first post didn't make it so here I go again.

I painted my tank and fender. Fiberglassed up my seat cowling to and rid myself of the rear fender.

Put down my base coat to the tune of about 7 coats and 4 coats of candy on top.

Put some stencils together and painted two layers of graphics. Just need to put down one more layer of graphics and then I can clearcoat.

She is starting to come back together.

[​IMG]

Happy Canada Day. If anyone in Europe asks where I'm from I'll beat them.

[​IMG]

3. acergremlin

acergremlin Member

Replaced whole clutch basket because the cush drive between basket and flywheel was worn out. Symptom were:

engine running = no abnormal noise

engine running with clutch in = no abnormal noise

As above but put it into gear = harsh 1st gear selection and a very noisy rattle.

Replaced final drive because the part that looks like a socket (where the drive shaft fits) had sheared off, still drove the bike no problem except for feeling like it was missing a couple of teeth when pulling away.

Resulting in a bike with no abnormal noises, and very smooth.

4. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Nice paint!

5. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Thanks.

It was my first attempt at painting anything. I used a friends down draft for the base coat and candy but I painted the graphics at home last night.

When I quit for the evening and went inside I realized I was high as a kite. And not the cool kinda smoke some pot kinda high. I was more the vagrant with the bag of gasoline kinda high. I had an uncontrollable urge to go beg for change. Fortunately I just passed out instead.

6. EdinaDad

EdinaDad Member

Well, I didn't do it today, but, I did it this past weekend:

1) Replaced the front wheel bearings. Again. The prior weekend I had taken them out to put some new ones in. Well, as I put the new ones in, the spacer between the bearings got cockeyed. So, after swearing a bit, I pulled them out and in a vain attempt at salvaging the weekend, I drove around Brainerd looking for the bearings. To no avail.

I got the replacement bearings last week and after putting them in the freezer overnight, I popped them right in. I used the axel as a guide for the bearing alingment.

2) I replaced the stearing shaft bearings with tapered roller bearings. Now, no detent. Wasn't sure if I as supposed to lube them or not, but, since they were open, and I had some bearing grease lying around, I figured it couldn't hurt. And if it will, I know how to do it now.

3) Finally got the stripped screwed out of the master cylinder. Thanks to an impact driver that I found lying around at the cabin. It seems that when I took every thing off the bike to replace the steering bearings, i must have loosened the one of the break lines.

Today, I replaced my shift shaft seal. (See my thread on it and see if you can help me)

Also, I plan on flushing the break lines with clean fluid.

Changing the oil.

And possibly even going for a ride.

The rear wheel bearings are for a later time.

7. bill

bill Active Member

Cleaned a lot of garbage out of the gas tank. Looks like rust particles so a tank cleaning is in the future. Removed petcock and cleaned filter screen. Installed in line fuel filter. Started plug chop. Mixture close need to tweak.

Ordered colortune and other stuff from chacal. Plug chop has to be easier with the colortune to get you in the ball park.

8. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

Not much to the bike, but i did clean out the garage a bit so that i could park my bike in there. Also tried to fix my turn signals but had no luck.

9. tylernt

tylernt Member

Got ticked off at it. Went for a ride on Saturday and it was fine, but today it died when I took the choke off, which it never did even on on 40°F days. After it got more warmed up, it kind of ran without choke but idled too slowly and I got some backfiring on deceleration. The backfires cleared up after a few blocks but it still idles too slowly.

It's behaving like I have plugged up pilot jets. Sigh. I run an inline fuel filter and there are NO particles in it so I don't know why it's misbehaving. Grr.

10. flash1259

flash1259 Member

bought a set of sportster mufflers.

11. RangerG

RangerG Member

I really like the Saskatchewan Roughrider paint colors!

12. RangerG

RangerG Member

I came home from a 1,000 km round trip, today. The Seca never missed a beat, as usual. The 20+ year old Vista-Cruise, throttle lock quit working before I headed home today. I used a Dremel tool to square up the edges of the plastic again and it seems to have cured the problem.

13. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

Well I did grow up in a little town called White Fox Saskatchewan (up by Nipawin)

14. unaverageman

unaverageman Member

Ordered the Carb rebuild kits, now I am in the hury up and wait mode. Hopefully will be able to get the bike back up and running by Saturday.

15. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

After my valve adjust and some tuning tweaks last night, I swear she gets going faster, smoother. Just when I though she coudn't get any sweeter, she gets less buzzy. Heaven.

16. XJ_Dirk

XJ_Dirk New Member

I also adjusted my valves and even though I haven't gotten to the tweaking part yet I can already tell she's gonna run sooo much better. but I guess that's expected when only two valves are within their acceptable range (0.006-0.008 in.) one valve had only 0.0015 in. and another I couldn't even fit a feeler gauge under! :x At least now they are better. :)

17. techyguru

techyguru Member

I took it for a ride. And got pulled over, turns out the PO didn't have it registered for last year and the new registration hasn't gone through on the records yet. Cop had a quick chat with the dmv and I was on my way.

OK so maybe I goosed the throttle a little and thats why they followed me and ran my plates but he didn't even say anything about my speed.

18. maz43

maz43 Member

Last week I replaced the entire exhaust. This week I put new seals in the front pipe/engine joint because like an idiot I left the old ones in (duh).
    Today I fashioned a new lock from a kennedy toolbox for my right side hatch door on my stock windjammer because some crackhead idiot tried to open it with a screwdriver.
    Next week-redo the carbs to fix enrichment circuit troubles (gulp).

19. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

Got to get some seat time in, rode it to work for the last 3 day...woohoo I'm employed again :)

20. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Rode em All !