1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. shogunl

shogunl Member

1.Installed new fuse block
    2.Installed extra aux light (Done properly by installing a relay so it only comes on if and only if ignition is on and toggle switch is activated)
    3.Thinking of installing new horn because stock horn sounds so cute but not heard by anybody

2. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

tweaked the 750's float levels, as a follow-up to replacing the throttle shaft seals a while back.

Results:

Mileage: ~50MPG (US Gallons)
    Plug color: Hawaii Tan :)

Bike runs smoooooth. I think I'm gonna leave the carbs alone for a while...

3. ricklees

ricklees Member

Tinkered with little stuff
    Ordered rest of stuff to sync carbs
    Charging new battery
    Put WD 40 in cylinders since motor hasn't been turned for 8 years
    Old plugs are black forgot to look at cermics for color
    Still waiting on new grab/sissy bar
    Soaked bolts on tag bracket with WD 40
    May paint kick stand tonight

4. jswag5

jswag5 Member

Repainted the tank a few days ago, tweking the carbs to regain a lost idle.
    tomorrow am gunna coat the tank with another layer of color, clear, clear, clear, then pull out the airbrush and get crazy, not 100% sure what to paint on it yet, but im thinking dragons, what do you think???

5. wyome

wyome New Member

placed my Dr. Pepper and watch on the seat while I was washing my truck. Most action my Maxim has seen in awhile, could be why I'm gonna sell it soon...

6. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

took it out for couple hrs for a good run, first time it actually went through the gears in about 4 years :mrgreen:

7. Alive

Alive Active Member

Yesterday... T-boned a 4 wheel drive and bent my forks and did a number of other small bits of damage GRRRR...

His fault, he's the one getting the ticket from the police for failing to give way... but he is blaming me... says I was speeeding and he argued with the police and tried ot say I was over taking a car as well.... He then accused the cop of making a racist comment.

I can see this is going to be a long and painful process.

My mate suggested sending the boys around lol

8. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Your mate has a good shoulder on her heads............

9. Alive

Alive Active Member

It was more a balaclava clad visit he was suggesting :p

10. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

I'm sorry to hear your bike got bent. I hope you're okay!

11. RangerG

RangerG Member

Returned from an eight day, one province, four state ride. 4,250 kms (2,640 miles). The Seca never missed a beat. We kept pace with the HD's, Boulevards, VTX's and Goldwings, whether we rode at 60, 70 or 80 mph. I wasn't real keen on the 80 mph stuff due to my small windshield. The only issue I had was that my Seca started to think it was a Harley. It developed the dreaded tach cable leak and left it's calling card everywhere we stopped. It looks and sounds like an easy fix so I'll get at it in the next week or two. I also decided the Seca is a Prairie bike. The elevation in the Black Hills of SD left it gasping for air a few times. It runs much stronger at lower elevations.

12. ricklees

ricklees Member

Took a break
    delivered carb parts to friend
    went to hardware store bought stainlees steel replacement screws for tag bracket

Thats about it

13. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Hello, this is my first post here. My XJ650 (1981) is my work ride. I just got home from my 3rd shift job. I drive a Ford truck (1999 4x4) and it cost me out the tail pipe for gas so I got my XJ to help me save money. I love that little bike. I call it my puddle jumper.

I rode it to work today and took of some sort of generic high pegs thet were rusted.

14. PSteele

PSteele Member

So, while I am out of work again (second time in 15 months), I took the time to volunteer for the local Blues festival to chauffeur the talent to and from the airport. Had a GREAT time with these guys and girls (go to http://www.dutchmason.com/festival/ to have a look). That's when my pal pointed out a balding tire. Spent so much time riding that I forgot the basic law - look at the tires first! What an idiot I was to ignore that!

Anyway, replaced and mounted a new front skin myself and did the rear brakes after. What a difference at both ends! And the really surprising part for me was that the tire really wasn't that hard. Took about an hour from start to finish, no special tools but I did need the volume of air produced by a compressor to seat the tire. All in all, I'd do it again - far easier than forks.

Also finally got the sad looking seat recovered by a local talent. After looking at the threads in this forum on that topic, I decided that for $80, it was worth doing professionally. I'll post pics soon - he did a great job and without the piping, it is a LOT more comfortable.

15. ricklees

ricklees Member

Removed kickstand, sanded, primed, painted it
    Center stand is next
    Don't know if I will ever get it back to what it once was(the bike)
    Some very sharp looking bikes in this forum

16. yamahamaxim85

yamahamaxim85 Member

well i cleaned her bike up, as she dusnt use it, and now its going up for sale, o well, i wanted it, but she wont let me have it,

17. rhys

rhys Member

Finally got some time to spend on the 650. Bent the right rear blinker back into place. Moaned over not yet having a front right replacement. Replaced the spedo. Glued the needle for the tach back together. Filled the floats by switching to PRI and back, started her up. Unhappy at first at having sat for a while, but was okay after I put a few miles on it.

Put some Seafoam (just a little) in the tank and took her for a 50 mile ride. Ate up 1.5gal, which isn't great. Put some more Seafoam in the next tank and let it sit.

Problems:

1) Spedo cable "sings" now, loud enough that I can hear it at speed. I hope it's just a cable in need of re-greasing and not something wrong with the spedo itself or the gearbox (or worse, the wheel bearings).
    2) Neutral sensor is near complete failure. Since I'm also missing a clutch switch, had to pop start her a couple of times.
    3) Since she has pods, the crankcase vent just vents to the open. I see a fair amount of exhaust-looking gas coming out of there. Not enough to make a cloud, say, but enough that I wonder if that's normal. Going to find a filter to stick on the vent and need to run a compression test.
    4) Handlebars are definitely bent. Hard to ride with my right wrist twisted that way. Going to order new ones from chacal. I hope that's all that's wrong with the front end, although...
    5) Bike has a slight vibration at 75mph and above that comes and goes. Comes and goes more quickly the faster I go, but doesn't feel unstable. Just vibrates. Wom...nothing...wom...nothing.

And there's more, but that's the serious stuff. <sigh>

But you know, she still runs like a champ! ^_^ Pulls hard and long, and corners like a dream. Another year of loving and I think the 650 will be in top shape. Thanks to all who have helped, and especially to chacal for past and future parts. :)

18. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

well, I figured out why the 550 was idling so rough and generally misbehaving. Apparently, vacuum sucked a portion of the petcock diaphragm inside the petcock body, creating a nasty vacuum leak, and hampering the fuel flow at the same time. It definitely sounds more like it should now :)

19. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i gave her a loving sponge bath, then i took her out for a blowdry, 90mph down the country roads in my area. shes runnin lean and mean!!!! ready for the winter so i can rip her apart and repaint everything, thinkin metalic blue and silver, any ideas for a tank graphic???

20. rhys

rhys Member

Took the 650 out for another (dangerous) test ride. Disconnected the spedo after "singing" began. It's definitely the spedo or the odo that is making the sound. *sigh* I just bought this thing.

I think it might be time to give up and look at building a set of replacement gauges. Anyone have a good recommendation for a replacement spedo, preferably something with a top end >= 125 mph?