1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. spamsxj550

spamsxj550 New Member

i ripped my bike apart and finally hot the pesky starter out...now al there is to do is get it re-built and get riding again...its only been a week since i was able to ride her but it seems like forever.....

2. switch263

switch263 Member

i fixed the stand safety switch (was just dirty) and lubed my kickstand so it's pretty much effortless to throw it down now =) much more convenient.

3. jswag5

jswag5 Member

i got bored, so i grabbed my cans of paint, and stack of sandpapers and went to town on a few rough pieces, tell me what you think.

Attached Files:

4. matthawkinson

matthawkinson Member

i put seca bars on my maxim! i LOVE them on this bike!

Attached Files:

5. turtlejoint

turtlejoint Member

call me crazy but i dropped my wiring harness into the ultrasonic cleaner for 20 minutes...

6. pvtschultz

pvtschultz Member

I finally installed an electronic flasher relay so I can quit using hand signals all the time but I am having a hard time getting used to not having the auto cancel. While I had the tank off, I checked the plugs for the first time since I bought it and cleaned the carbs (700 miles) and much to my suprise two were about dead on, one was a TAD lean and one was a TAD rich. Made a small adjustment to each and it seems to run/idle better, hard to say. I also painted the front fender to almost match the orange paintjob on the rest of the bike. Finally, I adjusted the clutch cable a bit to reduce the jump when I drop her in gear. Like a moron I didn't lube the clutch cable when I had it off the lever to reroute it some...I'll have to get back to that.

Next on the list is new fork seals and try to replace/recover my steel panned seat...

I am still averaging over 40 MPG now that I get into her a bit more during my city driving.

7. biggmeany2000

biggmeany2000 Member

Changed my leaky valve cover gasket. I'm happy now no more leaks. :D

8. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

Installed my engine guards, thank you again Bobby!. Discovered a small problem with number 2 plug cap (got rid of most of the miss I was hearing)

9. jswag5

jswag5 Member

Well, on my way to work this morning i had a float or something stuck in my carbs. when i got to work there was gas leaking out every little crack and crevice. So, guess what i got to do when i got home, clean and check the carbs, again. Cleaned em up good, put em back on, and fired right up, started even better than ever, even cold.

10. Oblivion

Oblivion Active Member

Speedo cable broke yesterday. Figured it out today. Ordered new one. That's something.

11. RPCVFR

RPCVFR Member

I blew it up i think #3 piston broke or shattered. I'm needing an engine if anyone has one that's in good shape. Otherwise i think the XJ is gonna get parted out =( ....Dang and i just got done putting a new O-ring chain and sprockets on it

12. XJ700VET

XJ700VET Member

After letting my bike sit for the past 4 years, I'm just now starting the process of putting things right. I re-built my petcock, my tank is sitting with my battery charger hooked to it, doing the electralsis thing, getting out all of the old rust. I've re-built my master cylinder, and both front calipers. The steering head is off and I'm going to clean, paint the fork clamps, and grease that tomorrow. Sorry to say, but I farmed out my carbs, and have yet to check them out. I've already done a ton of cleaning up of the sick metal. At the end of the month Chacal will be getting another order from me for more parts. Got alot more to do before I can fire it up, but she'll be back on the road again soon. After years of faithful service, the least I can do for the old girl is to set her right again. There is still too much life left in her to just let her go, and way too many good memories of great rides that still bring a smile to my face.

13. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

Yea, I can finally post here about the bike I am getting.
    I went over to my bosses house and snagged the carbs off of the bike so I can get started on them. :D My roommate thinks I am nuts but I might just be able to ride the thing home at this rate instead of waiting for my friends to get their trailers tires fixed. :^)

Maybe I can just bring it home a few parts at a time, lol.

14. KrS14

KrS14 Active Member

Tweaked the mixtures more, resync'd with water in the tool instead of oil, worked much better. I'm pretty sure the wrong size boots from the airbox to the carbs is installed. It doesn't even look like it's supposed to fit the carbs right. Broke off one of the bolts that hold the airbox on.. 25 year old bolts shear pretty easily hahahah replaced both bolts, and slapped her all back together/ I think that's all i'mma do before winter. Then the fun begins goin through the carbs, and replacing old crappy boots, hoses, fasteners etc.

15. eric.jones

eric.jones New Member

I got my XJ650J running after sitting in my garage for over 20 years! It's running strong and I put a couple hundred miles on it over the weekend. I had a 3 day license from AZ DMV. Took it to AZ emissions yesterday, and it failed :( It's running rich (the CO was slightly high). Ordered the colortune plug and a couple other things from Chacal today. Hope to getting it retested again after this weekend... The plan is to make it my daily rider.

Last weekend:
    New seat cover - Sargent
    Cleaned tank
    New petcock - Chacal
    New foot pegs mikesXS
    Fixed front brake issue

16. spamsxj550

spamsxj550 New Member

put my repaired starter in my bike and....it cranked right up.....easiest its cranked since i bought the bike.....its only been out of comission two weeks but a am sooooooo relieved to have her purring again.....

17. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

You mean that in AZ a 26 year old bike has to pass emissions tests?
    That's crazy.
    Glad I live here after 10 years you no longer get hooked up for emissions screening.
    The emissions test involves a visual check for parts and make sure the gas cap clicks when you tighten it.
    :lol:

18. spamsxj550

spamsxj550 New Member

emission tests?.....guess i am lucky i live in middle georgia...they dont do emissions test at all......ever.....they actually dont even every inspect the bike....at all.......

19. ricklees

ricklees Member

Took carbs apart last night all but the rack and they're comming apart in just a little while. Wish me luck, lol

20. Andreas

Andreas Member

I just finished to spray the primer on the tank, then in a few minute i'll begin with the colour.

Monday morning, 7:00 am, MUST be running and ready, as the car of my ol'lady did not pass the annual check by the transport department, so she will stole my car for going to work...and i'll need the bike to commute.