1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. schooter

schooter Active Member

bought an adapter that hopefully will work for my sportster mufflers

2. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

I will post pictures when i get around to taking the pics.

Well, here are some pics..
    The rear hanger(s) that i cleaned and sprayed black. (probably only on the bike until i get around to sorting out the forward controls)
    [​IMG]

The rear seat pad i made from spares in my cellar and vinyl covering bought from fleabay.

[​IMG]

And a view from the other side of the rear seat pad (and my sissy bar that i had made up)

[​IMG]
    Cheers
    Nick

3. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

8am this morning I walked outside, wiped the frost off the seat, put the key in the ignition and hit the start button.

After a few seconds of the starter motor turning and the engine not starting I turned the ignition off, reached down and unplugged the jumper I use to make the headlight work. I then picked the bike up off the side stand and walked the bike to the top of a hill. After a running start I jumped on the bike, turned on the ignition, put it in 1st and popped the clutch.f

After trying this a few times down the hill I parked it, walked home and caught the bus to school/work.

12 noon:
    Walked back to the bike, put the key in the ignition, turned it on, put the bike in neutral and hit the start button. Bike fired right up. Backed out of the parking space and rode it up the hill and home. Let her idle for awhile and went out and turned her off.

Yesterday was much the same, except the morning started with me taking her off the charger.

4. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

You'd be better off selecting Second Gear when you Push Start and Pop the Clutch.
    First Gear is going to make the Bike really slow-down, fast under Engine Braking.
    If if don't catch and run ... it's do-it-again!

Second will give you less Braking and a few more RPM's.
    You stand a better chance in Second.

5. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

Its a good thing my wife loves me...
    Tonight the bike gets to sleep inside the apartment (right through the front door, into the entry way). (I had thought of it, but she suggested it first!) If she (the bike) starts fine in the morning then I know it is cold related (and not some weird flooding issue or something...) and maybe this weekend I'll see if I can find some intake boot leaks. It could also be the battery getting very cold.

I tried it in first because I thought maybe my problem was thick oil, my theory was that in 1st the back wheel would have more torque to spin the engine, thus 'powering' through the thick oil. I guess a faster spinning engine would turn the alternator faster, getting a better spark.

The odd thing is that it doesn't even seem to be firing, but that's hard to check when push starting.

6. asphaltgecko

asphaltgecko Member

1. Two new tires
    2. new battery
    3. seafoam in gas tank /
    4, added 1 gal hi octane gas for winter
    5. had carbs overhauled by yahama shop last week, runs awesome
    6. found great stuff that makes light lens's look like brand new
    7. drained oil overnight, flushed crankcase with gas, drained overnight,
    fill crankcase with diesel fuel, let set for 4 hours, drained, added
    best synthetic motorcycle oil and new ceramic racing filter .... engine
    and crankcase are CLEAN ! CLUTCH WORKS LIKE NEW AGIAN. ENGINE RUNS VERY SMOOTH.
    8. replaced original maxim brake pads with new Hi Preformance racing
    brake pads
    9. put new boots on carb to air cleaner ( old ones cracked ) / added new air cleaner
    10. Found some stuff at autozone that makes OLD LIGHT LENS'S LOOK LIKE BRAND NEW. repolished all red and amber lens's
    12. replaced all lightbulbs
    13. Had fork seals replaced today ( just so dont have to do it agian someday )
    14. had drive shaft lube changed

pretty much done with the pre winter maint and fix up so that all that is left for spring is lots of alum polishing / engine paint

will send the fenders and gas tank, side covers to paint shop this winter for redo, deep blood red

want a windshield , gotta decide which one.

THAT SQUEEKY YAHAMA MOUSE HORN HAS TO GO !!!!
    ORDERED DUAL HI DECIBLE HORN SET FROM SUPPLIER TODAY

MAN..THIS MOTORCYCLE IS CUTTING INTO MY JEEP GOODIES FUND.. LOL

7. Big_Ross

Big_Ross Member

Fitted some new handgrips to the 900F. The old ones were original (after nearly 128,000km) and were worn completely smooth! The new ones have very deeply marked texture and make it a lot easier to grip without stirring up my arthritis.
    I will say that I don't expect these new ones to last very long though. They seem quite shoddy compared to the originals. But still, at 63, I'm no longer planning 24 years ahead!

8. GirchyGirchy

GirchyGirchy Member

I reinstalled, flushed, and refilled the cooling system.

Next up to finish cleaning, assembling, and installing the carbs.

9. PSteele

PSteele Member

Not a thing all summer, except a new front tire and a rain suit. Been so crazy with career changes, kids to college, all I do is sleep, work and ride. Maybe I'll work on it in the winter cold. NOT! Oh well, maybe she'll get cleaned by the spring at least.

Zero degrees C this morning (32F) and she started right up. Going for Dec 8 to put her away. Think I'll make it?

10. dqnjuan

dqnjuan Member

chop frame, chop fender, got tank back from shop, new pods, and lots of flat black painting...really starting to come together.

11. jswag5

jswag5 Member

started stripping the old paint off the frame, that aircraft remover is wicked stuff. got most of the paint off with that and a garden hose. put another coat of brush on stripper going to let it sit overnight and wash it off again, then smear some more on and take it to the car wash so's i can get some pressure to blast the rest off, then this week i plan on painting it.
    gots a lot of new parts on order so i cant wait to see if i cant get the thing back together.

12. sgary

sgary Member

I bent up the sheet metal to fit the bottom of my tank.I'm going to weld it up today. My first attempt at using a mig welder. I bought a 3 1/2" speedo last night, cheap. This week I get the rings and put the engine together.
    I'm thinking about building a single carb intake, anyone try this?

13. RickCoMatic

Use Low Heat and make your welds SHORT. Gas Tank Sheet Metal is easily overheated and "Burned Through"

Do a small area in one spot.
    Move away from that area and weld another.
    Take frequent breaks to let the whole project cool down.
    Fine Tune the Wire Feed Sped to be able to keep you moving without overheating an area and making the bead too thin.

14. sgary

sgary Member

I made a lovely bunch of grapes on the bottom of my tank. Ground them off,
    turned on the gas on the mig welder and redid my welds. It doesn't look bad.
    I'm going to seal the tank to fill all the pin holes. The engine is next, rings and assembly, then the carbs.

15. RickCoMatic

Use an AutoBody "Pick Hammer" and Tap-down the welds.
    Grind the whole area surrounding your welds nice and clean.
    Lead Load over the welds.

Here's a nice Video of Lead Loading used to repair a damaged section of an old XKE-Jaguar

http://www.sovereigncoachworks.com/page ... 2-pop.html

16. sgary

sgary Member

Do you think aluma-weld would work? It's epoxy based aluminum, heat and chemical resistant. It;s like JB weld.

17. flash1259

flash1259 Member

New fork oil seals , New front tire, Resurfaced Brake rotor. not bad took about an hour and a half.

things left to do :

Just got me some yellow LED lights with resistors and a donor gauge set Replacing lights bulbs in guage set with LEDs Adding leds to Existing turn signal housings for running lights, Replace guage faces with new WHITE / Red faces. New Clutch Plates, New air filter, New Chain oring, Keep looking for right side upper sidecover (still making one out of fiberglass), #0000 Steel wool and clearcoat For engine case covers and forks ( back to Orginal state) , Lower rear 2". Get side stand Welded. Find and replace flasher cancelling unit. Oil And Oil fliter change, Then I might be ready to paint this baby .

18. sgary

sgary Member

I'm going to the bike wreckers today and search for spoked wheels for my 550. I'm bringing my frame and swingarm so I can try lots of combos.
    I'll post the results.

19. nikoteen

nikoteen Member

I've been trying to remove the stuck carb float bowl screws :evil:
    Here is a picture of what not to do....
    [​IMG]

I also made myself a tyre changing station

And a bead breaker out of my weights bench :) Just drilled a hole in a piece of 4x2 and used the leg lift on the end of the bench for breaking the tyre bead.

Once i got the tyre off the wheel look what i found inside. Suffice to say it's not going back in.

Well i still have work to do......

20. bill

bill Active Member

A pregnant inner tube. You should be able to run tubeless tires on the 650.