1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

What did you do to your Yamaha today?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Cutlass84, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Don_A

Don_A Member

Thanks for your concern, wamaxim.

Yes, I've read rickomatic's posts. In fact, I think I've read his carb cleaning how-to in the FAQ section about five times in preparation for this job. As I said, it's my first go at it, so I wanted to make sure there are no surprises.

Thanks again and wish me luck!

2. rebelelf

rebelelf Member

I am attempting to make a bracket to mount the windshield I stole off the buell my husband decided to buy. And have failed miserably so far. Was able to peel that stupid sticker off of it though. So it no longer screams buell blast.

3. schooter

schooter Active Member

whoa whoa whoa! we've got a lady on this forum!!!

4. Don_A

Don_A Member

Success!
    :wink:
    [​IMG]

5. rhys

rhys Member

In addition to all the work on the 750, I had another look at the steering head and forks on the spare 650.

The forks are looking more and more straightforward. I have one leg nearly stripped down to just metal parts, all of which need cleaning, but look servicable. Need to go get that Circa 1850 stripper that was mentioned elsewhere for the lower leg. Anyone have any genius ideas for the insides of the two main sections? I was planning to use carb cleaner, the damper rod tool, and shop towels to clean them out.

The steering head looks like more trouble. Got it mostly disassembled with no trouble - other than the expected greasy balls bouncing around - but I have some trouble with the races. I had intended to replace them with roller bearings, but I don't know how to get the races out of the steering neck. Ideas?

6. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

rhys, i saw a post here about heating and cooling the metals try to find that through search or maybe someone here can remember what its called if you do it right the races should almost fall out!
    Shaun

7. rhys

rhys Member

I saw something about freezing the new ones so they'll seat easily. I haven't seen anything useful about pulling the old ones, other than using a punch and tapping gently.

8. Gwyndwr

Gwyndwr Member

What did I do to my Yamaha today?

I wrote another story about it on my tour from Canada through Eastern Europe last summer.

The latest story can be found here:

Imprisoned in the Garden of Eden

I can't wait to get back to Europe next summer and continue my ride east.

9. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

10. flash1259

flash1259 Member

lets try again .

I bought a NEW P.e.t.c.o.c.k. off of ebay for $28.99usd

11. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Finally got her running again.....

12. turtlemann14

turtlemann14 Member

bitched and yelled because i left the petcock on prime and flooded the engine and crankcase, just shoot me now...

well, she needed an oil change, i guess now is as good time as ever

also took the valve cover off to inspect the valves
    most are alright on the low end of spec, but i have 4 that are under spec
    one intake and 3 exhaust

tightened the timing chain

13. tennsouthernbelle

tennsouthernbelle Member

Cleaned the inch of dust off,(I know I should keep it covered) polished it up all nice and pretty, fixed the broken windshield mount, filled up the tires, told the boyfriend I wouldn't be home for a while.

14. a340driver

a340driver Member

Took the back tire off, for replacement, now a little cleaning, a little paint, a little tweaking,..... engines ready to put back in !!! ahhhh I'm almost finished!
    My wife says I'm obsessed with this bike ... that's just crazy! .... umm yes that is real gold leaf.

15. Galamb

Galamb Member

Gamuru,
    looked at those pics and I'm glad nothing serious happened to you. One of the reasons I don't take my bike out too early, is the sand from the salters is still on the roads. Making a turn and have to slow down to a crawl. Cagers don't like that and wonder what'swrong with me. Waiting for those spring showers to wash the roads clean. :), :)

16. sushi_biker

sushi_biker Member

I put 130 miles on mine. Galamb's right. I took it nice and slow around curves on the twisty farm roads today because of all the salt and sand residue. The cagers have no patience for this. Gamuru, I'm glad you're ok. Hell of a story.

17. kd5uzz

kd5uzz Member

The wife and I took a long, slow trip through the neighbourhood. We just moved here and it was nice to get to know the area. Lots of kids and dogs. And a lot of sand, et al. Yesterday we took a trip across town and I was very nervous with her on the back. Almost enough to go home and get the car. The road cleaning trucks have been out sweeping up some of the sand. It is nice, but they miss it in the turn lanes and on the inside of corners.

18. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

glad to here your ok gamuru, it's amazing how fast it could happen to any of us.
    Shaun

19. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it.

20. rhys

rhys Member

Took another shot at getting the races out of the steering head on the parts bike. Realized that the upper race is not coming out without a gear puller, since some trauma has happened to it causing the metal of the frame to smear over the edge of the race in two places.

Not sure why the lower one won't come out, except perhaps similar amounts of time, corrosion, abuse, and the fact that it's damned near impossible to see in there.

At least I have a shiny new long 1/4" punch for use as a drift. Perhaps that will be all I need for getting the races out of the other 650.